I was out doing sparklers and some pretty small fireworks with my 7 yr old because, why not. Well somehow I managed to light the plastic bag full of sparklers and snakes on fire while it was sitting on the patio table. I threw the bag on the ground and put it out without lighting all the sparklers or scorching the table, but got a little burned plastic bag on a finger. Hurts a little, but no biggie.

So the question is, what stupid shit have you done with fireworks?

When I was younger. We would have bottle rocket wars and also use Roman Candles. But I don't have the extra money to burn on some bad ass thunder sticks like all my neighbor's do.

Had a bottle rocket go off right next to my ear. I couldn't hear nothing but a ringing for days. And those damn quick fuses on the black cat fire crackers made my hand go numb. Because by the time you light them, they would go off.

As I got older I would just empty a mag.big_smile.gif

Edited by MfWiC
  • Like 1

One year after a grand old evening of fireworks I thought I was being efficient by picking up all of the spent hulls of various fireworks that we had set off. I put them all into a 5 gallon bucket that I had filled half way up with water and thought it would be a good idea to put the bucket in my garage next to my Craftsman shop vac and wooden work bench. About a half hour later my wife was in the kitchen and saw light coming from the garage and promptly told me that I had left a light on. When I opened the interior door leading out to my garage I noticed it wasn't a light that I had left on, it was in fact a fire that had started in the 5 gallon bucket that consumed my shop vac and was working its way up my work bench and exterior wooden door. I've never moved so fast in my life trying to put it out, I'm lucky the house was constructed from block or it could have been catastrophic. Good times! On a lighter note I can now say I know what a 20 gallon shop vac looks like after being melted.

• Like 1

I double charged a custom 6 inch mortar tube that was over 4 feet long. It sent the star cluster up like normal and right before it left the muzzle, the salute detonated in the tube and the pressure blew the sand bags supporting the rig about 2 feet to the sides, the tube was in two pieces, no shrapnel in anybody and the salute went off on a hill that lit on fire. It stopped the show and it took ten guys with a water truck about a half hour to put the fire out. We stopped everything, took care of the fire and went over the sequencing again. Not sure if I put that salute in there earlier or if it was my buddy. The quick match fuse was not hooked up and nothing was tagged on the tube. Maybe my ex wanted me dead and put one in there when I wasn't looking.

There was a 3 million dollar helicopter, hanger, landing pad and massive fuel tank about 300 yards away. It was down wind of where the fire was. :(

Black Cat blown up in my hand. Drunken roman candle wars. 2 m80s (I think is what they were) wedged between the pole and a stop sign and blew it off the pole. M80 blown up and the street and one of the ends which was a plaster like material broke the window on my house. Told mom I had no idea how the hell that happened. Stupidest was throwing a smoke bomb through an open window of someone we really didn't like. Didn't take into account the fire danger. Luckily for us, nothing came of it after we ran like hell.

Best one I've seen but didn't do was someone flushing a seal bomb at school. Was bad ass. Water flooding outta bathroom.

When I was a kid I stole some of my grandpap's firecrackers. We went out on the back porch and my sister would light them while I threw them. My grandmother came to the door and I stuffed one back in my pocket. I didn't know my sister had just lit it. It stung pretty good, but that was about it.

Edited by patriot

My stepfather in law had us at his place a few years back. He lives on a lake. He got out two dinghys and a huge bundle of bottlerockets and said we were going to have a "battle." Next thing I know, I'm out in a boat launching bottlerockets at his boat by hand. When one hit me in the face, I was done. He called me a wimp as I rowed back to shore. Thanks but I'm not taking safety tips from a guy with several partial fingers. Later on that night, he filled up paper bags with oxyacetalyne and shot them with flaming arrows. One went too close to a pine tree and lit it on fire. The only reason he didn't have a personal forest fire was because SOMEBODY thought it would be a good idea to have a hose with nozzle ready.

• Like 1

M80 went off in my hand a few years ago.

Wow, you OK???

Fortunately I managed to come out of it with some slightly bloody fingers, minor scratches on my face, and a few welts on my torso from where the pieces of tube hit it.

Oh, and it was INSIDE of my house lol. Powder was unstable and went off when it got pinched when I tried to pull the fuse out.

Edited by W8lifter

I've got to weigh in on this one as it has to do with one of the most vivid memories I have from my childhood.

Being naturally curious as most kids are I loved to take things apart. Often this ended up being "destructive testing" as there was no putting back together the subject of each experiment. This didn't really matter as the object most of the time was to simply see what was inside not reassemble.

So I had this 10 ball roman candle....you can probably guess the rest but I'll fill in the blanks anyway.

Sitting on my bed I cut the cardboard tube open with a razor blade and dumped the contents of the RC in a cigar box. Ending up with a fuse no longer attached to anything I, in my childish wisdom figured the only thing to do was light the fuse by itself. All it's going to do is burn and then go out right?

I laid the fuse up on my desk which was beside and above my bed. It never crossed my mind that the fuse would move at all.

I lit the fuse and immediately is started spinning much to my surprise and you won't believe where it landed....

That's right, it landed in the cigar box and in about 2 seconds the entire contents of a 10 ball roman candle went up in my bedroom. Most of it stayed in the box but what didn't landed on the GI sleeping bag liner I used as a bedspread and being some sort of synthetic it didn't hold up well to the burning fragments and had to be permanently retired. I do remember throwing open all the windows in a panic but I can't tell you if anyone else was home or not and as I remember I got away with it.

Ass whuppins usually made a lasting impression so I don't think I got one....that time.

Edited by Squishy
  • Like 1

No stories from me until I know what the statute of limitations is in Alaska.

If it's criminal, depends on the crime. If it's civil, usually 2 years.

It seems that outside of fraud, sex crimes, forgery, drug trafficking, or capital offenses... It should only be 6 years for damaging personal property, for criminal charges.

I've got to weigh in on this one as it has to do with one of the most vivid memories I have from my childhood.

Being naturally curious as most kids are I loved to take things apart. Often this ended up being "destructive testing" as there was no putting back together the subject of each experiment. This didn't really matter as the object most of the time was to simply see what was inside not reassemble.

So I had this 10 ball roman candle....you can probably guess the rest but I'll fill in the blanks anyway.

Sitting on my bed I cut the cardboard tube open with a razor blade and dumped the contents of the RC in a cigar box. Ending up with a fuse no longer attached to anything I, in my childish wisdom figured the only thing to do was light the fuse by itself. All it's going to do is burn and then go out right?

I laid the fuse up on my desk which was beside and above my bed. It never crossed my mind that the fuse would move at all.

I lit the fuse and immediately is started spinning much to my surprise and you won't believe where it landed....

That's right, it landed in the cigar box and in about 2 seconds the entire contents of a 10 ball roman candle went up in my bedroom. Most of it stayed in the box but what didn't landed on the GI sleeping bag liner I used as a bedspread and being some sort of synthetic it didn't hold up well to the burning fragments and had to be permanently retired. I do remember throwing open all the windows in a panic but I can't tell you if anyone else was home or not and as I remember I got away with it.

Ass whuppins usually made a lasting impression so I don't think I got one....that time.

Funny story Squishy! I could picture the look of shock on your face.

I've thrown my share of M80's into bonfires. Makes a very satisfying ball of hot embers.

Had a whistle rocket go up my pants on time. I was wearing shorts and the damn thing went haywire and shot right up my pant leg.

I brushed it out in a single motion right before it exploded but it still left a nice orange size 3rd degree burn on the front of my thigh.

besides the fact I seemingly burn myself in a minor way every year, about 20 years ago I was on a mandatory club run to Kernville CA, a few clubs take over the town for the weekend every year, this particular year I took a bag of fireworks to stop on the way home at my sisters place to let her kids have their own fireworks display

as most club get together's go there was plenty of beer, I got a little wasted and mentioned I had a box load of roman candles mortars and bottle rockets for the kids.....a few hours later I was awakened from a drunken stupor by one of the brothers wanting some bottle rockets, not wanting to be bothered, I said help yourself & sure enough 20 min later all campsites were bugging out, the mountain across the river from us was on fire from the bottle rockets!

The forestry phoned me 3-5 weeks later wanting to pin it on me as they were told I had fireworks, I told them I lit no fireworks and would take a polygraph but would only answer one question ...(did I light the fireworks that caused the fire) .... I passed the test & walked out

last night a mortar went up only 10ft and the report blew off showering us with red sparks...its time for me to give up fireworks

I've thrown my share of M80's into bonfires. Makes a very satisfying ball of hot embers.

Had a whistle rocket go up my pants on time. I was wearing shorts and the damn thing went haywire and shot right up my pant leg.

I brushed it out in a single motion right before it exploded but it still left a nice orange size 3rd degree burn on the front of my thigh.

Better than your nuts

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Better than your nuts

+1000^

Shock would be an understatement. I think if I live to be 100 years old I won't forget that day.

Your mishap could have ended badly....good thing you were quick.

No stories from me until I know what the statute of limitations is in Alaska.

If it's criminal, depends on the crime. If it's civil, usually 2 years.

It seems that outside of fraud, sex crimes, forgery, drug trafficking, or capital offenses... It should only be 6 years for damaging personal property, for criminal charges.

Mostly joking. If any of it was illegal at the time, I would have been Juvenile anyway.

• Like 1

We did a 55 gallon trash bag full of Oxygen/Acetylene and dragged it with a long stringline to a board we lit on fire. It left a small crater! Done some off the wall shit with Military pyros and explosives but I won't get into details.

Silver salutes used tobe the shit! I once blew the U joint out of a '40 Ford with one! The good old M-80's would destroy a Rochester 4BB and burn the evil out of a Caprice.

Damn I am glad I am not a kid today, some of the funnest things we ever did are now felonies.

When in combat arms, one has access to all sorts of fun stuff -- combine that with the stupidity of youth and... We had these things called artillery simulators, you'd yank on this string and toss it. It would makes a sound like incoming and then explode LOUDLY. We had a dude we did not get along with so we waited til he was using the barracks crapper and a buddy and I tossed two, one on each side of the guy in the toilets -- we heard: a loud whistling with the scream of OHHHH SHIII... then BaBOOM! Blew the crappers to bits on each side of the guy. Fun times.

Edited by Odd Man Out

REAL M80's can not be had anymore, but when we was young'uns, we could get them everywhere and cheap. We used to fill up the hoods tin garbage cans with water, tape a m80 to a rock, lite it and run like hell, after we ran out of garbage cans, we got the bright idea to take a 2" piece of pipe about 8 ft long, smash one end closed, drop in a m80, then REAL damn fast, shove in a paper towel filled with BB's, neighbors 3 blocks over where calling our house, they all just new is was me and my 2 older brothers. We got our asses set on fire from the old man, mainly because we screwed up his pipe for plumbing jobs.