What's the most complicated weapon you've ever field stripped?

Mine are pretty simple to break down and clean but I was wondering what you guys have had that were just a pain to take apart and put back together. I'm pretty sure the military guys and those with exotics have had some headaches.

• Like 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruger mark iii, what a pain in the a**

Mk19. I hate them with a passion.

My wife. Definitely a weapon used for psychological warfare! Everything else pales in comparison.

Posted Images

I only have AK's, ar15's, a ruger 10/22, and a tavor under my belt and so far the AR was the most time consuming. not so much difficult. just followed the instructions....umm, pistols ive only broken down a few taurus pt 24/7s, a jennings 22lr, both of which were easy and took less than a minute. thats all ive got.

Edited by AZG

My Browning 1919 is not really complicated, but it is kind of a pain in the ass. Theres a lot going on in there. Plus you gotta be real careful with the bolt removed from the receiver cause the captive recoil spring has taken many an armorer's eye!

The HK91/G3 requires some real sleight-of-hand maneuvers to reassemble the bolt.

Hi-Point pistols are a pain (you gotta knock out a roll pin for basic cleaning...), and my Diamondback 9 really requires some finagling due to the lack of a slide stop.

I was always amazed at how many small moving parts are in a Garand, yet they are quite reliable. I've also noticed that many older autoloader designs can be a real pain too, apparently "ease of assembly" is a fairly recent concept.

Its probably just me, but I always have a hell of a time getting the bolt carrier out of my M1A's bolt channel. Dunno why.

Walther G22. Pot metal, allen screws, and loose pins. If you reassemble it with the stock screw any more than barely hand tight the mags won't seat. What a joke.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

I'll say the ruger mk pistols can be a passion in the ass Until you understand what it is your doing with the main spring.

I've detail striped a Browning take down 22 semiauto rifle is was kind of hard. The bolt had 50 yeasts worth of 22 crud built up to about a quarter of an inch in some places.

MG 38, M60, Mini 249 FN. Machinegun shoot. Not mine. I just got to help some. Educational for sure. Really shitty designs IMHO. Too many small parts and they can be put back together wrong...or backwards. HB of CJ (old coot) Also the Ruger Mark 1-2 series pistol, .22rf, including the 22-45. Crappy also. Would not work in zero gee out in outer space. Sucks. The easiest? AK!!!

Mk19, M2, M60, M240B, and M249 are some of my personal favorites although my GSG5 is a fucking pain in the ass to field strip. I humped a sixty so much in my younger days I could do it in the dark without much difficulty though.

I'll say the ruger mk pistols can be a passion in the ass Until you understand what it is your doing with the main spring.

"passion in the ass" sounds a little personal

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 1

"passion in the ass" sounds a little personal

Yeah, I don't think he's doing it right... or maybe he his... amazing.gif

• Like 2

Mk19. I hate them with a passion.

The Mk19 my unit had was junk.

Of the weapons I got to fuck with in the service, the M2 was by far the most frustrating for me. But I still hate the fucking Mini-14 from a takedown standpoint.

When I first bought my mini-14, I took it to work to show the guys during break. One of our QCs field-stripped it in front of me and then had trouble putting it back together. I told him, "you better be able to put that fucking rifle back together, before you go back!" LMAO. After some embarassment and a little dificulty, he figured it out.

• Like 1

My S&W 2206 is up there in hassle. It wasn't really meant to be taken down to clean. The suggested method is to brush out the bore, wipe anything you can poke a rag into with a toothbrush, and soak it down in penetrating solvent. then wipe again and spray or drip a little lube in.

The most difficult by far was the model 1300 Police Marine Shotgun that had probably at least 10 years of abuse in a marine environment before my stepbrother and I decided to clean it. (Don't get me wrong, it was abused for around 30 years, but I assume someone must have cleaned it at some point.) There may as well have been super glue in the action it was so gunked up with oil, goo, and fish residue. Kyle nearly broke it getting the action to move. I think he actually may have rounded the slide release catch off a bit.

I used to take occasional airsmithing jobs for my friend's paintball shop. Some of the cheap or very old stuff was fiddly and badly designed. (But fun. It's kind of like getting to work on a model T or a Stutz Bearcat.) Nothing compares to the poor design and quality of "high end" airsoft toys though. Let me tell you the difference in build quality in a ~$350 PB gun and a ~$400 airsoft toy is dramatic. Airsoft were made like wind up toys and tend to eat themselves rapidly if "upgraded." A bit of research can find parts that are more durable, especially if you are willing to hold back to performance limits within the materials strengths.