Will Saiga 12 Muzzle Brakes fit Veprs?

So I know this had been brought up wit the GK-01 and some others but to clarify, will all the Saiga 12 muzzle brakes fir the Vepr 12's?

I am between the:

Bonesteel Firestorm

http://www.bonesteelarms.com/12-Gauge-Firestorm-Muzzle-Brake-12gfsb.htm

&

Tromix Monster

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/trx-monster-sgp61.htm

I have seen the GK-01 and a bunch others but I really like these two. Will I have any problems with barrel diameters or life threatening injuries? Thanks!

Yes they will. I am stuck with the same dilema. Our guns may be twins in the end

The monster break is very thick and heavy is the only issue there. The mini monster is almost as functional and much lighter than the full sized monster. Tony from Tromix said that is gives about 60% of what the full sized does which is quite a bit of recoil reduction for the VEPR. Thats the way i am leaning.

Edited by menace667

I have used the GK-01 it was really nice but too big for my build.

I had the bonesteel permanent attached to a shortened barrel.

It is a really nice design. My only complaint is that it seemingly shaves the wad as it exits and that causes debris to be shot back behind the shooting line which hits other shooters on ranges in the face, etc. Not a good situation. They need to open it up a bit if they haven't already. Either way, I am kind of stuck with mine.

Yes they will. I am stuck with the same dilema. Our guns may be twins in the end

The monster break is very thick and heavy is the only issue there. The mini monster is almost as functional and much lighter than the full sized monster. Tony from Tromix said that is gives about 60% of what the full sized does which is quite a bit of recoil reduction for the VEPR. Thats the way i am leaning.

I have used the GK-01 it was really nice but too big for my build.

I had the bonesteel permanent attached to a shortened barrel.

It is a really nice design. My only complaint is that it seemingly shaves the wad as it exits and that causes debris to be shot back behind the shooting line which hits other shooters on ranges in the face, etc. Not a good situation. They need to open it up a bit if they haven't already. Either way, I am kind of stuck with mine.

Thanks guys the helps!

Menace, I do think your right, twinsies, lol... I like how heavy duty and badass the full size monster looks!

EC, I remember you had some cycling problems once you chopped did you get things working well again, what products did you use?

Edited by Mountain Man

Waiting on my bolt/carrier/FCG to come back from reprofile/polish. I believe that will solve the problem

Okay, I look forward to hearing about how it goes, I am thinking about a chop and weld too but my Vepr 12 runs flawless right now so I dont wanto to mess with perfection...

Edited by Mountain Man

I certainly would do a lot of soul searching before doing a chop and weld with the monster break. It is long and would make the chop somewhere arounf the 13" mark which is super short without some quality gunsmithing going on.

At the present moment I am running a BoneSteel Firestorm and I heart it. However, I have been looking into getting some chokes, and in researching, found that Vepr 12 barrels and Saiga 12 barrels have different diameters. This concerns me. I have never heard of an issue occurring, and 99.9% of people say that Saiga 12 brakes and chokes work on Vepr 12's, but it still makes me wonder... what is acceptable risk, if any?...

Ive got too much I want to do to mine, and not enough funds. But Im planning on a very similar brake. I think Im going to go with the bonesteel for me.

At the present moment I am running a BoneSteel Firestorm and I heart it. However, I have been looking into getting some chokes, and in researching, found that Vepr 12 barrels and Saiga 12 barrels have different diameters. This concerns me. I have never heard of an issue occurring, and 99.9% of people say that Saiga 12 brakes and chokes work on Vepr 12's, but it still makes me wonder... what is acceptable risk, if any?...

I dont know if you would have any risks. Its hard to say since Ive never tried, but I wouldnt imagine it would hurt the gun any. I always thought they had the same thread pitch, and that they will work with one anothers muzzle devices. I want some chokes as well to shoot skeet. lol.

Im with captain. I understand that the barrel itself is (heavier) thicker but the thread pitch is the same. I currently have a leftover Saiga break on mine until i decide what to go with and it threaded on just fine and is nice and tight.

• Like 1

I went back and read quote again from PappaZorro. Apparently there maybe only a problem with running flashiders and chokes. Brakes should be ok since most usually have a larger diameter then the barrel. The possible safety concern is that internal barrel diameter of Vepr 12 barrel is 18.5mm and Saiga 12 is 18.3mm, so at the end of the barrel where flashider/ choke is, could be a 100 micron high step. Idk.. food for thought...

Edited by Muffman
  • Like 1

the 10 slot flash hider I got has a bigger internal diam than the inside of the barrel, I can't speak for all, but I wouldn't think there would be an issue with most flash hiders.

Edited by hdskumm

As Muffman wrote should care to use only Flash hiders that are made as slotted cylinder chocks, as well other kind of chokes and paradox for Saiga-12 (18,3 mm), no problem to most Muzzle brakes.

+1 to PapaZorro's return, he is one of the best resources to the community!

The prodigal son returns!!! Not to sound like a dick rider, but very excited you have returned, as your 2 cents is normally worth a dollar more then others...

Hey Everyone! We got a dick rider!

haha.gif

EC do you have any pics of your V12 with the perm attached brake? I would love to see it!

Has anyone used or thought about this SGM choke with external threads, it allows you to still use your muzzle compensator at the same time. Pretty cool, I am definitely thinking about it...

http://sgmtactical.com/sgm-products/muzzle_brakes_chokes/vepr-12-full-choke-with-external-threads/

Edited by Mountain Man

Muffman must not be married, cause all that stuff stops after the honeymoon.

I don't get it?...

Has anyone used or thought about this SGM choke with external threads, it allows you to still use your muzzle compensator at the same time. Pretty cool, I am definitely thinking about it...

http://sgmtactical.com/sgm-products/muzzle_brakes_chokes/vepr-12-full-choke-with-external-threads/

I have thought about it, but after some concerns with different diameters of Siaga 12 barrel and Vepr 12 barrel, I would like to further research if possible. I wish some companies would shed more light into their R&D and testing. I even purchased a 2 round magazine to shoot skeet with my Vepr 12. A modified choke with a brake would be the tits...

Muffman must not be married, cause all that stuff stops after the honeymoon.

I don't get it?...

I have thought about it, but after some concerns with different diameters of Siaga 12 barrel and Vepr 12 barrel, I would like to further research if possible. I wish some companies would shed more light into their R&D and testing. I even purchased a 2 round magazine to shoot skeet with my Vepr 12. A modified choke with a brake would be the tits...

Hopefully since this is the Vepr 12 version it will work, but since it is kind of important to know, so that your gun doesn't blow up, a little research or a few emails might be in order...

the 10 slot flash hider I got has a bigger internal diam than the inside of the barrel, I can't speak for all, but I wouldn't think there would be an issue with most flash hiders.

Original Molot FH is slotted cylinder choke that has marks C (0,0) on it, I'm not sure but IMHO IZMASH FH model on Saiga-12-030 is the same but has 18,3 mm instead of 18,5 mm internal diameter.

Pic of original FH and Paradox for Molot Becas and Vep-12 VPO-205-02 shotguns

3931486.jpg

Edited by PapaZorro

EC do you have any pics of your V12 with the perm attached brake? I would love to see it!

jnLNogx.jpg

Okay EC, that is sexy, damn!!! Did you cerrakote just those parts or the whole thing? Love the color, what is it? Is that the Magpul UBR? It is freaking awesome looking, what adapter are you running on it for the stock? Thanks for the pics!

jnLNogx.jpg

Okay EC, that is sexy, damn!!! Did you cerrakote just those parts or the whole thing? Love the color, what is it? Is that the Magpul UBR? It is freaking awesome looking, what adapter are you running on it for the stock? Thanks for the pics!

Here is another shot of it.

The FDE parts are cerakoted in Magpul FDE, the stock is a UBR. The stock adapter is the rifled dynamics AK/AR stock adapter, it's a superb piece of engineering, bringing the stock inline with the barrel.

The rest is not cerakoted, unfortunately. That was a regrettable decision, as some agent got on the reciever and now it needs to be redone. The factory russian finish is more volatile than most finishes on western firearms. I will deal with that in time. I am still trying to decide what / if I want to do with another folder vepr.

I didn't think i would like a quad rail due to bulk/weight, so this one I went low profile. However, I must say I do like what Chaos has made so I made use that on a folding vepr. Not sure. The reality is I have too many shotguns as it is. I need to finish some of my AK and AR builds.

If they imported one with more features, cross bolt safety would be the killer feature for me, I'd drop everything and do another build.

GFYToAR.jpg