post-16990-0-43732600-1373068814_thumb.jpg

Well, today is officially in the top five for the worst days in my life. My former partner, long since retired from service, had to be put down today. We have been fighting some major arthritis issues with him for a few years now, but his heart stayed strong. Everyday he would go out to my patrol car and try to get in, knowing that he could not. Every time I got called for a late night Swat callout, he would race me to the door. When my son was so sick and required us to be near him at all times, he never left my son's side and would wake us up if we fell asleep from exhaustion. Our vet told us that he would let us know when it was time, so we just kept him comfortable. It was the least that I could do for him as he had saved my ass so many times. He was not just a pet or retired partner, he was a family member.

This morning, he woke me up holding his leash. We have not been able to take him on a long walk for over a year now, so I knew. And when he refused the meds that made his life bearable, it just solidified what he was telling me. I called into work and took a sick day to spend with him. He got that walk that he was wanting from this morning, a good bath and brush. I contacted the vet that has been there for him since day one and she agreed to come out to the house so that he was comfortable. He died laying in my lap, knowing that he was and will always be loved.

Good-bye and until we meet again my friend, you will never be forgotten.

Edited by GeorgiaPD
  • Like 6

What a very special bond you must have had counting on each other on a daily basis.

I'm happy for you in the sense that you were able to enjoy the gift of the time spent with your best friend.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know your pain. Its brutal. For me, time was the best healer. Getting there is tough. Good luck.

Prayers sent.

Edited by sunnybean
  • Like 1

Not knowing you, but knowing the bond and the feeling of losing someone so special is making me remember those lost. My sincere condolences. He will be waiting, however long, for y'all to meet again, Thinking 'bout ya here in Texas...

• Like 1

A kind of similar thing happened to my parents. They had a german shepard and he was a great dog. He was the best watch dog ever and my dads best friend in the world.

One day without warning, he bit my mom twice, once in the arm and once in the stomach. He was always 'mouthy' but he never clamped down, as to actually hurt anyone. Well, this time he clamped down hard and my mom needed about 17 stitches.

The next day he was put to sleep. We were all crushed, but it had to be done. Mom was alone with him everyday and we couldnt risk a 'next time'.

My condolences man, I thank you both for your service.

• Like 1

I'm very sorry for your loss. There is nothing in this world like a good dog, they make our lives so much happier. I know it sounds cliche but thinking of the good times you had together or something he used to do that would make you laugh actually helps.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the kind words and prayers, it has helped. One of the hardest parts about this evening was trying to tell my 3 year old where his buddy went. Thankfully, he goes to a Christian Pre-School, so they have already started teaching him about Heaven and God. It was a relief that he understood, because I was completely dreading trying to make him understand. I guess that I should start paying more attention to what he is learning in school.

Again, Thank you to everyone for the support.

• Like 1

Sorry for the loss of your companion(perhaps the family companion)!

The last post about telling the three year old...just about kills me. I have a lab that has been an awesome companion and a great family dog for lack of a better term. A month ago we found out she has terminal cancer. My daughter is three, the dog is eleven, I don't look forward to telling my daughter what will happen to "her puppy" when that time comes!

• Like 1

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Been through it several times and it never gets any easier. Not that any of them can be replaced but getting another, especially a rescue dog, always seems to make getting through the loss a little easier. Regardless, time is a good healer. Take care.

• Like 1