I know how you feel The last dog i would ever own was Bandit had her 18 years Wife held her in vets office as we put her down. I am so sorry for you loss it hurts still.

She was the last dog I ever trained.

• Like 1

There are many here that have gone through this at least once. It is very hard to watch and is always hard to remember.

We come on this forum and it makes us feel kind of manly .......until we all shed a tear for others fallen friends and family.

Sorry for the pain you have today, but try to remember only the good times.....

• Like 1

Hang in there GPD. Just remember that you were as important to him, as he was to you. In my experience, the pain never goes away. I had to put my Chow down after almost 17 years. Cancer. I still miss her since 2006. It sounds like that you both shared some very special times together! They ask for so little, yet give so very, very much. Unconditionally. Take care of yourself and your family.

• Like 1

Been through before what you are going through now. Sorry GPD it's tough I know.

I've had a lot of loss in the past year, and my 13 year old Bearded Collie has helped me to get through it all.

Don't like to think about her not being with me....

• Like 1

Well, I know how ya must feel, but you can take pride in what you've done for him and how you handled his last day. I've had a few that I was their first touch when they were born, and the last touch they felt when they passed. Never gets easier, but I keep on getting more dog buddies. I hate to think about losing them, but I wouldn't trade em for the world and I try to always do it (raise them) better each time. Giving them "a dogs life" is worth the pain of seeing them go. A dogs love and loyalty will get me through the worst days.

Like the joke says, "Lock yer wife and yer dog in the car trunk. Let em out an hour later and see which one is still happy to see you."

• Like 1

Another "sorry for your loss" but what an amazing story how he brought the leash for a last walk and mustered up the strength for it,how he stayed by your side during illness in the family. I will keep you and your family in my prayers too!

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. I just cleaned up around my stone monument with tbe string trimmer. My GSD is buried there and his leash still sits on the keystone. He was the best partner and fur bag I have ever lived with. They are hard as hell to let go of and difficult to find an equal.

It's going to suck for a long time but, a kick ass new puppy will help a lot. Teach him all the old tricks.

Good luck and may your buddy RIP.

• Like 1

Last buddy I buried. I used an antique shotgun that I had as a grave marker for my everyday/hunting friend. She was a Smarty-pants fer sure. Buried her next to my favorite hunting blind on the ranch.

post-16191-0-86152700-1373179574_thumb.jpg

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like that dog was more than a dog, both to you and to others.

A lot of people like to link that horrible rainbow bridge poem at times like this. It's horrible

because it implies your dog is waiting for you to get up there to start his heavenly reward.

No sir, that is not true. If God has a patrol car, your buddy is already in it, doing his job.

Sorry man... been there and getting close again. Worse thing about dogs is the never live long enough. Still sad over loosing my girl 2 years ago, and tearing up right now knowing that my boy is getting close himself.

Rainbow Poem is ok, but I've always liked this much better:

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

flagusa.gif
GRIEVE NOT FOR ME
Grieve not for me for it has been ordained,
that my journey here be short.
Grieve not for me for my loyal presence
will ever remain in your heart.
I was sent to be a Guardian,
for the Guardians of Law in Blue.
A fearless, noble protector,
with a bond that few con construe.
With character unshakable,
and senses that are well heightened,
I was sent to be a defender,
so that your burden here would be lightened.
Grieve not for me for in heavenly blue,
our reunion day will come.
Grieve not for me for as partners again,
We will defend a greater Kingdom

Condolences brother.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifKilo1.jpg

Well, today is officially in the top five for the worst days in my life. My former partner, long since retired from service, had to be put down today. We have been fighting some major arthritis issues with him for a few years now, but his heart stayed strong. Everyday he would go out to my patrol car and try to get in, knowing that he could not. Every time I got called for a late night Swat callout, he would race me to the door. When my son was so sick and required us to be near him at all times, he never left my son's side and would wake us up if we fell asleep from exhaustion. Our vet told us that he would let us know when it was time, so we just kept him comfortable. It was the least that I could do for him as he had saved my ass so many times. He was not just a pet or retired partner, he was a family member.

This morning, he woke me up holding his leash. We have not been able to take him on a long walk for over a year now, so I knew. And when he refused the meds that made his life bearable, it just solidified what he was telling me. I called into work and took a sick day to spend with him. He got that walk that he was wanting from this morning, a good bath and brush. I contacted the vet that has been there for him since day one and she agreed to come out to the house so that he was comfortable. He died laying in my lap, knowing that he was and will always be loved.

Good-bye and until we meet again my friend, you will never be forgotten.

One of the worst things a man can go through. Akin to losing a child. I have had the honor and privilege to have owned (or have been owned) by two very wonderful Companions. These aren't the only dogs I have had but there are certain ones that are very special and own your heart. Thoughts and prayers are sent to you for I know you are heartbroken and grieving now. You never get over it, but as time takes away some of the sting, fond memories will take the place of the pain.

sorry for your loss my friend it is just as tough as a family member.

besides you cant call yourself a man if you dont cry like a girl when your best bud passes because he would do the same for you. This makes me think about the chocolate lab that sat in front of the marines coffin on youtube. I would much rather have to shoot a person than a dog, anyday.

attachicon.gifKilo1.jpg

Well, today is officially in the top five for the worst days in my life. My former partner, long since retired from service, had to be put down today. We have been fighting some major arthritis issues with him for a few years now, but his heart stayed strong. Everyday he would go out to my patrol car and try to get in, knowing that he could not. Every time I got called for a late night Swat callout, he would race me to the door. When my son was so sick and required us to be near him at all times, he never left my son's side and would wake us up if we fell asleep from exhaustion. Our vet told us that he would let us know when it was time, so we just kept him comfortable. It was the least that I could do for him as he had saved my ass so many times. He was not just a pet or retired partner, he was a family member.

This morning, he woke me up holding his leash. We have not been able to take him on a long walk for over a year now, so I knew. And when he refused the meds that made his life bearable, it just solidified what he was telling me. I called into work and took a sick day to spend with him. He got that walk that he was wanting from this morning, a good bath and brush. I contacted the vet that has been there for him since day one and she agreed to come out to the house so that he was comfortable. He died laying in my lap, knowing that he was and will always be loved.

Good-bye and until we meet again my friend, you will never be forgotten.

Truly sorry for your loss. I know your pain as my wife lost her best friend since she was teenager, she passed in the same room my son was born in. We laid her to rest on the top of the hill on our back property, It's so beautiful back there, we go back there at least tree times a week and pay our respects. Few people will ever know the depth of connection a person can share with a working dog, as they take on even deeper personalities when giving a propose. Although I know your in pain I hope you realize how blessed you are to have worked along side such an amazing partner.

• Like 1