Here's some stuff I've shot at that has a cool effect:

Propane tanks next to candles

Silly string

Spray paint cans

Cans of shaving cream

Tannerite (obviously)

VHS tapes (tape goes flying everywhere!)

Gallon jugs of water

I just got one those fancy little gopro cameras! I want to do some shooting at 240 frames per sec and put it in slowmo and see how it looks. Any other cool ideas?

I filled a gallon jug with instant mashed potato's and water which turned out pretty cool.

Small tomato sauce cans are cheap.

12 packs of wm soda provides cheap entertainment.

2 liter bottles

I also pick up unhit clays at the range. They are great to shoot at as there is no mess to clean up. I espcially like shooting them with the AR as once hit I go after the small shards.

I may or may not have put a hole in a quarter.

My son used to work at pizza hut and would bring home large oil jugs. Seemed like two gallon or so. Big opening meant we could fill it with all sorts of fun stuff. Same jugs you would buy for deep frying turkey.

Steel for some reason is one of my favorites though.

Put a 5 gal bucket full of water on the ground upside down.

Shoot it with a magnum slug an inch or so above the lid.

Watch the bucket rocket up into the air.

Repeat.

I do that with my 50 cal. Just as cool, but it frags the bucket.

Paint cans work great that way too.

Put a 5 gal bucket full of water on the ground upside down.

Shoot it with a magnum slug an inch or so above the lid.

Watch the bucket rocket up into the air.

Repeat.

I do that with my 50 cal. Just as cool, but it frags the bucket.

Paint cans work great that way too.

Ha! I like that idea. I'll have to try it.

I'd refrain from shooting electronics, that crap should all go to a hazardous waste place. Its actually not supposed to be put in the trash as most contain processed heavy metals (the kind that actually get in ground water). Be aware that in many states shooting glass on state land is a $500-$5000 fine.

I was shooting large ice blocks for a while.. They explode kinda cool, and there is no trash to pick up. The other is old milk jugs filled with water, dollar store crackers for shooting .22s and other short lived biodegradable stuff.

I also have used a steel gong which is one of the better target items and is less mess and hassle by a land slide.

Trash at shooting sites is the main reason we will likely be restricted to official target ranges inside of 20 years. We have not policed our own sufficiently.

A fun hollywood type of explosion for film or fear is to fill a plastic one gallon milk jug full of high octane gas and wrap it with a det. cord cage. The device is suspended in the air about 5 feet on a line and ignited. It will create a nice bang with a huge fire ball from hell. Since you are shooting instead of blowing shit up on film, replace the det. cord with an explosive target. I like the old self adhesive pre made bullz eye square targets with flash powder and the sticky back. If you put two of them on and ace both sides the fire ball gets way bigger. Tannerite or amno and aluminum will get some good results as well when placed on the jug with some tape. The trick is to suspend it so the energy is not directed in any certain way. Makes for a beautiful ball of holy crap.

Out of date canned food ,old paint (spray or bucket)

Propane camp size are about my favorite beside Tannerite

How ever the following recipe

1)metal trash can

2) fill with warm out of date soda cans to the top

3) fill with water to brim

4) feed it a .458 Win Mag 300 Gr.SJHP over 70 Gr. IMR 3031 compressed load

5) the results are bad_smile.gif Flat trash can (split right down the seams and laid flat to the ground ) 1/3 soda`s undamaged ,1/3 with pinhole leaks and about 1/3 nothing left but aluminum shreds

Buddy shows up at work Monday morning with only the lid , boss asked the can and was sadly informed "It did not make it !!!"

Priceless greedy.gif only cost one round of .458 Win Mag @ 19 cents (my reload cost ) Destruction hideously good fun haha.gif

I go to garage sales and find my targets, for 25 or 50 cents you can get a variety of things to shoot at. ELMO dolls, lawn ornaments that are usually free or for 25cents.

best I found is buy a few boxes of christmas ornaments, I can find them here for 50 cents for a box of them, take one of political signs frame, hang the ornaments off that and shoot them.

i like metal jugs filled with water. (5 gallons)

55 gallons barrels filled with water.

modeling clay.

paint cans

roofing tar cans

me and my buddy where having a good time with an old raiater heater, you could watch as the bullet expanded though each panel.

probablly not P.C. but road kill makes a very realistic target as well. what.gif

another "informative" target was some ferral hog heads that someone had dumped at our shooting range. gave me alot more more insite as to the effectiveness of my handloads. 010.gif

Edited by Guest

i like metal jugs filled with water. (5 gallons)

55 gallons barrels filled with water.

modeling clay.

paint cans

roofing tar cans

me and my buudy where having a good time with an old raiater heater, you could watch as the bullet expanded though each panel.

probablly not P.C. but road kill makes a very realistic taregt as well. what.gif

another "informative" target was some ferral hog heads that someone had dumped at our shooting range. gave me alot more more insite as to the effectiveness of my handloads. 010.gif

LMAO

Paint cans is a good idea! hit it with a slug, probably blow the lid off

Edited by Turbo.M777

Years back, a bud hit up the local Sears/JC Penny's and bought a few old mannequins. Our favorite spot was an old gravel pit that the local boys frequented. We stuffed a couple with tannerite, dressed them in some thrift shop clothes, then set them out about 200 yards from the makeshift tables. We'd then wait until some drunken Bubba showed up and had some fun. Imagine the looks when we'd holler, "That's far enough, Jimmy.", then shoot the dummy. KABOOM!!!

Pretty much anything can be a target. Old soda cans/bottles, empty veggie cans, Old fridge or freezer(can use for penetration tests with the older ones), junk cars, bowling pins(perfect for .22. Shoot the small end for a reactionary target). One time, a farmer gave us an old crop duster fuselage to destroy before he took it to the scrapper.

Nothin beats an Air Force D9 cat!

All they did was leave it past the firing line at the aerial gunnery range! After we had dumped a couple cans of mini gun and M60D at it, we got the call.....CEASEFIRE!!!!!

haha.gif

Gotta love taxpayer funded ammo and targets!

Edited by Capt Nemo

Whatever you do, PICK UP YOUR SHIT! I'm tired of public lands getting closed off because of slobs shooting up their shitty old DVD players and leaving all of the chunks in the dirt.

• Like 5

Whatever you do, PICK UP YOUR SHIT! I'm tired of public lands getting closed off because of slobs shooting up their shitty old DVD players and leaving all of the chunks in the dirt.

I have to 2nd this sentiment. I assume that most of you here are responsible and leave the place nicer than you found it, but in my experience, there sure are a lot of assholes leaving exploded TVs, glass bottles, and aerosol cans out there.

Load up your range bag with hefty sacks if you haven't already. If you shoot on public land, I'd bet you can go home with more trash than you brought out. It can be frustrating cleaning up public land only to find it trashed again when you return, but I shudder to think what my shooting spot would look like if I didn't clean up after the irresponsible jerks.

• Like 1

One regional forum I'm on will give you a complimentary premium membership (benefits unknown) if you post a photo of at least 3 trash bags full of shooting junk with your username in the photo.

• Like 1

Yes that is about the only thing that gives shooters a bad rap is making a mess and leaveing. I clean up my trash and take some extra. or we usualy have a fire and burn most of the trash that is left.

I agree with cleaning up your crap too, I've heard rumors that our public range'll be closing if it continues as it is, trash everywhere, some idiots are shooting the benches, roof, and the posts that hold it up, some of those bullet holes are actually facing backwards towards the parking lot. There used to be mining belts for walkways, and steel tubing for target stands, but they've both been shot to pieces.

My favorite thing to shoot is steel, I can get it for free, it lets you know you hit it, and it lasts quite a while.

I love tannerite, but the forest rangers apparently don't, someone set off a 2lb can and within 10 minutes they were there complaining about it shaking their windows, and spewing BS about how dangerous it is.

+1,000,000,000,00000,0000000^10

I try to make one bag of trash and bring back 4. I also try to recycle as much brass and plastic as is practical.

Don't shoot glass on land you don't own, and don't leave jagged metal for someone else to pick up. Go ahead and make that propane bottle into a cheeze grater, just pick it up with your own hands. Most of my shooting equipment has blood stains from unexpected cuts.

Fun thing to shoot? A synthetic basketball with birdshot. Get two of them and have a friend handy. Race your basket balls around an obstacle or to an object kinda like ExTreeem Croquet.

One regional forum I'm on will give you a complimentary premium membership (benefits unknown) if you post a photo of at least 3 trash bags full of shooting junk with your username in the photo.

which forum?