Bore not centered in barrel

I noticed a slight "ledge" inside the bore when drawing my finger toward the muzzle end where the barrel meets the choke, but only on one side... uh oh. What started out as a review of the SGM 3-piece choke set has turned into a discovery that my Vepr's bore is not centered in the barrel. Measuring with calipers confirmed this. It was .042" on one side and .046" on the other.

I had experienced erratic patterns when attaching the chokes, which seemed to get worse with the full and extra full chokes. Shot patterns with chokes would have a amll tightly patterend section with an irregularly shaped halo of sparse shot around it, larger than would be expected for the choke in use. When removing the choke, the pattern was very large, but uniform. I guess now I know why.

Barring a new barrel, it looks like mine is an open choke only shotgun from now on unless someone's got some bright ideas.

Edited by Aries144

No, I measured between the bore and the OD of the barrel around the circumference of the muzzle, at the front section before the threads start. It's .042" thickness on one side and .046" thickness on the other side. The bore isn't centered or in-line with the OD of the barrel.

Ok, I might be able to make the best of this. I could have a gunsmith center on the bore and thread it for internal threads to make use of commercial chokes. The problem is going to be finding someone who can either remove the barrel or turn it with the receiver still attached. These barrels don't look like they'd be easy to remove.

Anyone know any smiths who have turned internal threads on a vepr or saiga barrel?

Edited by Aries144

No, I measured between the bore and the OD of the barrel around the circumference of the muzzle, at the front section before the threads start. It's .042" thickness on one side and .046" thickness on the other side. The bore isn't centered or in-line with the OD of the barrel.

Ok, I might be able to make the best of this. I could have a gunsmith center on the bore and thread it for internal threads to make use of commercial chokes. The problem is going to be finding someone who can either remove the barrel or turn it with the receiver still attached. These barrels don't look like they'd be easy to remove.

Anyone know any smiths who have turned internal threads on a vepr or saiga barrel?

If there is enough meat on the thin side the gunsmith can just set it up in the lathe using a 4 jaw and centering to the bore before cutting external threads.

• Like 1