Looks like they are trying hard to copy the Camaro. What a pity. The Stang was fine as it was...

The 2015 Mustang looks nothing like the Gen 5 Camaros. I don't see any similarities.

facebook_-81783886_zps34aefa96.jpg

The orange Yasid Designs rendering, which doesn't look like the car in the spy photos, does look like it took a few styling tips from the Camaro with the recessed grille and headlights (though the paint may just be making it look more recessed), subdued B-pillar, more streamlined window frames, and more accentuated "hip" bodywork.

AGREED!

Production B pillars are always bigger than the concept car. The artistic designer always wants a continuous flow of glass un interupted. The safety engineer wants some meat.

I'm sure you guys will crucify me for this, but I liked the mustangs looks the best right before they did the 2002 Retro stepped airshovel front end. The funny thing was around 2005 I read up on them in consumer reports and they were more reliable than a camry of the same age too. I know marketing needs to suck up to the boomers with disposable income instead of me, but that was a cleaner looking car.

I loved the GT 40 redux, but I liked it a bit better as a concept before they gave it all that unnecessary 60s style overhang in the front.

Cheap displacement may be a thing of the past, but HP is not difficult to come by and handling and redlines flat out embarrass anything from the era of classic muscle. Just about anything worth the bother can get a bolt on supercharger and a plug and play EFI controller that will give you the power you want without having to have some mystical feel for carburetor tuning. Backyard mechanicing isn't dead, it's just different. What isn't different is that old people always feel that things were better back when they weren't old.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The white one looks like an aston martin front end!

I just want to barf... Carroll Shelby is rolling in his fucking grave....

I'll be damned...... Going back to http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/89210-2015-ford-mustang/&do=findComment&comment=915685 . I was talking to an old girlfriend who was posting some s

Posted Images

" What isn't different is that old people always feel that things were better back when they weren't old."

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Your day is coming to.

You realize that day is here when a major topic that you talk about is how regular you are .

Is that your Car?

" What isn't different is that old people always feel that things were better back when they weren't old."

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Your day is coming to.

You realize that day is here when a major topic that you talk about is how regular you are .

Is that your Car?

The Super Sport is mine.

Cheap displacement may be a thing of the past, but HP is not difficult to come by and handling and redlines flat out embarrass anything from the era of classic muscle. Just about anything worth the bother can get a bolt on supercharger and a plug and play EFI controller that will give you the power you want without having to have some mystical feel for carburetor tuning. Backyard mechanicing isn't dead, it's just different. What isn't different is that old people always feel that things were better back when they weren't old.

+1. I have owned several Muscle Cars including one with a big block with comparable horsepower to the Camaro I have now. The older cars don't even compare in handling and just putting that horsepower to the pavement and getting it to hook up. I love Classic Muscle but the Modern Muscle is just plain quicker.

When I was young I had a pony and bought the wife a 76 bird.

I am 6'4" 245lb I don't think I could fit in that thing.

Bought my wife a new Town & Country and while we were waiting for them to get it ready I tried to sit in a Viper. For Get It! and even if I could get into it I would not be able to hear anything because my knees would be up to my ears.

I love the classic look, dicking with points or having to adjust the the Holley 650 double pumper, not so much. The custom jobs when they take a 60's or 70's muscle car body and update it with a modern drive train and suspension is the best of both worlds. Of course that comes at a steep price to do it right.

Nice rides there MT

• Like 1

^^^Agreed- I've been working on this stuff for 30+ years. Metals are better, machine work is better, cam phasers adjust valve timing vs the old degree wheel, and now more and more are going with dirrect fuel injection. If the EPA would sit down and shut up HP ratings would be through the roof. I've always been a Camaro guy, the new SS isn't bad but I think GM has to step up their game in the body design department and come out with an updated IROC Z and for what ever reason they made the interior a bit too tight (and I'm average sized). Both Chevy and Ford need to take a hard look at what Dodge has been doing with their option packages and step up to the plate. Funny how the really nice body lines of the prototypes never seem to make it to market. COPO's, Yanko, Shelby, etc all seem to be a thing of the past that I do miss these days...

• Like 1

Do look forward to seeing what the new Mustang will really look like. Bet it'll run like a bat out of hell.

Just can't compare the newer Muscle cars to the older ones. The technology has made them easier and safer to run, way better gas mileage too. Owned a 60's GTO, 70's Trans Am and Camaro. Rebuilt and wrenched regularly on each one of them. Took a break (financially) and now have a 10 Challenger.

Different worlds and just as fast.

Calling bullshit on the more reliable than Camry claims.

I said that circa 2005, consumer reports testing had showed the 2000 or 2001 type to be more reliable than camrys of the same year. Given more time than that, I would expect camry to push ahead. I think it shows a couple of things. 1. All models of car get bigger and fatter every time they update them, to keep pace with they people who originally bought them in their 20s. 2. Some models of ford are made pretty well. 3. sometimes a less complicated machine has less initial maintenance. Now after those cars rounded the 65K and ~120k maintenance markers, we may well get different readings, but 4 or 5 years in, this is pretty plausible if you think about it. I trust my recollection, because the fact stood out and were memorable. Do you honestly think I would lie about that?

FWIW, I worked at a rental car place while in college around the turn of the century, and our toyota 4 runners were constantly in the shop. That was pretty lame considering very little of our fleet was more than 2 months old. Don't let brand loyalty blind you.

COPO's, Yanko, Shelby, etc all seem to be a thing of the past that I do miss these days...

EPA and safety regs make it far too costly to certify a minor variation if there is any power train changes. That's why most of the factory tuner models are basically a style kit wrapped around the same engine. About the best they can practically do is tune down the hot engine and let you bypass the limiters.

When you think about it this is a double win for the manufacturer. They get to sell you a car that has the potential to easily get the power you want (taxed as a lower power) you get the car you wanted after a few hundred bucks of parts are swapped. Performance guys flog their cars pretty hard and the manufacturers don't have to honor any warranties on those that actually use them. Look at the racer clone sport bikes. Their engines are made to run for a short life at ~19k RPM and put out insane power. They wear out quickly like that. So they sell you the same bike with a limiter chip to 2/3 of it's real redline and they last forever. If you want to unlimit them, it is merely a chip swap, and you get the power while they get to ignore your warranty.

It's always been kinda funny to me that guys in love with the notion of a 68 mustang make fun of young kids ricing up a civic. To me it is the same thing. Get a small light car with the biggest engine you can afford in it and tune it slightly. I'm going to guess that a bone stock V8 in the first 2 years of mustang probably was a lot slower than a stock civic too. (without even factoring in corners)

Let's take a peek:

Specifications for the 1965, 1966 Ford Mustang:
Wheelbase, inches: 108.0
Length, inches: 181.6
Curb-weight range, pounds: 2,445-2,800 (1965); 2,488-2,800 (1966)
Width, inches: 68.2

Engine Types for the 1965, 1966 Ford Mustang:
I-6: 170 cubic inches; 101 horsepower
I-6: 200 cubic inches; 120 horsepower
V-8: 260 cubic inches; 164 horsepower
V-8: 289 cubic inches; 200-306 horsepower

Transmissions for the 1965, 1966 Ford Mustang:
Automatic: 3-speed
Manual: 3-speed, 4-speed

Model-Year Production for the 1965, 1966 Ford Mustang:
1965: 681,551
1966: 609,946

*Production totals include the GT-350: 562 for 1965, 2,378 for 1966.

HMM. looks like econobox numbers to me, even including the couple hundred that Shelby worked over.

Now don't get me wrong. If I want a sports car, I don't plan to make one out of a civic. I'd be much more likely to buy a sports car, like a WRX. It is cheaper than making one out of something that isn't. I've got sport suspension on my little mazda and some OK rubber, but I have no pretentions to thinking I have anything fast.

Nope, if I ever get to do the midlife crisis car thing, I think I would rather go for something on the order of an Arial Atom. That looks so much more fun for anything else at the price point.

When I look at the current offerings like mustang, camaro, charger/ challenger, whatever. Mostly I think, OK that would be fun, I guess.... But dang what a boat! those things are huge and fat without any internal volume. Then there is the whole issue of driving fast vs driving fun. If I had a corvette, I think I would have a stroke trying to hold back the constant urge to use it. Cruising at 35 mph in a ~500 hp car is where madness starts. Making a little four banger work can be a blast.

Yes I can say big block (can't say it without a smile though). Had a couple 400ci with close to that in HP...always a guaranteed smile. Honestly it's surprising I'm still around to reminisce. Did pay my dues in more ways than one, especially high risk.

Our Challenger is the better half's daily driver. It's a medium size boat that does list when cornering (still way better than my older cars). But at triple digits on the open road it is a dream boat....so smooth, seems like only 75mph.

Everyone is different....not interested in a civic.

Look forward to the new Z28.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll be damned...... Going back to http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/89210-2015-ford-mustang/&do=findComment&comment=915685 . I was talking to an old girlfriend who was posting some scans on FB. She pulled up a photo of me driving to the lake in my '77 Mustang II, with me actually driving it! This was somewhere around 1980. I was thrilled to say the least. All of my old pictures disappeared in 1990 when I got divorced. The power of old friends......

post-23857-0-10350800-1375471289_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 2

The 5 liter Coyote is the best engine Ford has every produced by a wide margin. The current Mustang chassis is also the best Mustang chassis ever.

I expect the next gen will only be better, with Ford finally giving up the solid rear axle.

With Mustang sales flagging Ford is moving to make the Mustang a global seller, which means they have to go more european with the styling, and offer a 4-cylinder engine. But don't diss the 4-pot. The new bigger 2.3 turbo will be pushing over 300hp. With lighter weight (especially over the nose) the 4-cylinder should be lively.

The only question in my mind is whether Ford will get the styling right. So far all we've seen are renderings, and those have been all over the place.

I like the muscular look of the orange render but the white car is more refined. I expect reality will be somewhere between.

The 5 liter Coyote is the best engine Ford has every produced by a wide margin. The current Mustang chassis is also the best Mustang chassis ever.

I expect the next gen will only be better, with Ford finally giving up the solid rear axle.

With Mustang sales flagging Ford is moving to make the Mustang a global seller, which means they have to go more european with the styling, and offer a 4-cylinder engine. But don't diss the 4-pot. The new bigger 2.3 turbo will be pushing over 300hp. With lighter weight (especially over the nose) the 4-cylinder should be lively.

The only question in my mind is whether Ford will get the styling right. So far all we've seen are renderings, and those have been all over the place.

I like the muscular look of the orange render but the white car is more refined. I expect reality will be somewhere between.

I hope so. Can't wait to see the actual car

I'll take a '68 GTO with a fuel injected 455 and modern suspension/brakes that are made for road racing.

So won't I. Who's giving those away? big_smile.gif

Its nice to dream aint it bro. haha.gif

If we're dreaming I'll take a 68 Formula Firebird with racing suspension and brakes, powered by an LS7 backed by a Tremec TR-6070.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

I'll take a '68 GTO with a fuel injected 455 and modern suspension/brakes that are made for road racing.

So won't I. Who's giving those away? big_smile.gif

Its nice to dream aint it bro. haha.gif

If we're dreaming I'll take a 68 Formula Firebird with racing suspension and brakes, powered by an LS7 backed by a Tremec TR-6070.

Thats the spirit!

• 4 weeks later...

The latest spy photos with some of the camo removed, and the new rendering based off of these new pics.

The new Mustang will definitely be smaller and lighter than the current model. And with 435hp on tap it should be quite a ride.

I can't say it's love at first sight but I don't hate it either. It's just... different.

One thing I'm a little curious about is the fastback on the rendering. The spy pic looks like it has a trunk, but it could just be the camo.

post-4831-0-67009600-1377740899_thumb.jpg

post-4831-0-17054900-1377740926_thumb.jpg

The latest spy photos with some of the camo removed, and the new rendering based off of these new pics.

The new Mustang will definitely be smaller and lighter than the current model. And with 435hp on tap it should be quite a ride.

I can't say it's love at first sight but I don't hate it either. It's just... different.

One thing I'm a little curious about is the fastback on the rendering. The spy pic looks like it has a trunk, but it could just be the camo.

attachicon.gif2015-Ford-Mustang-prototype-side-action-shot-796x528.jpg

attachicon.gifford-EVOS-concept-front-three-quarters-796x497.jpg

I actually like it myself. As long as its fast and handles well I'm sure it will be an awesome car.

I have a 2011 Mustang GT that I bought new, and I'm quite happy with it. 12.8@110 bone-stock (including crappy all-season tires)!

I'm not too concerned about what the new one will be like, TYVM. ;)

I'm quite sure the front end will follow with their current Fusion/Focus design, not sure yet if I like that or not... :unsure: