• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The white one looks like an aston martin front end!

I just want to barf... Carroll Shelby is rolling in his fucking grave....

I'll be damned...... Going back to http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/89210-2015-ford-mustang/&do=findComment&comment=915685 . I was talking to an old girlfriend who was posting some s

Posted Images

I'd guess aluminum is going to start being the choice of metals in body panels. Which is going to change the lines as you need more rounded shapes fewer sharp corners.

They need to shed weight to get the performance requirements. Once they loose the 500+ lbs of steel bodies the cars should preform well with even modest engines.

They should have went with something like this.

mustangmilano_zps34ac9a3d.jpg

Too cool....love the purple and those white letter Firestones. Looks like a Javelin. Thanks.

This goes very well with your avatar pic. NMO. Custom fit to the inside drivers door.

What do you guys think?

Car and driver spy photos:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Can I get this Kevlar vest for my Dodge Turbo Diesel Dually??

• 1 month later...

Supposedly this is the most accurate yet.  We won't have to wait much longer as Ford will be unveiling in Dec.

One thing is certain.  Given the Z28's outstanding performance, Ford needs to make a Shelby that's worthy of the name.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/10/16/2015-ford-mustang-to-be-officially-revealed-in-december/

post-4831-0-86955200-1381973291.jpg

• Like 1

Supposedly this is the most accurate yet.  We won't have to wait much longer as Ford will be unveiling in Dec.

One thing is certain.  Given the Z28's outstanding performance, Ford needs to make a Shelby that's worthy of the name.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/10/16/2015-ford-mustang-to-be-officially-revealed-in-december/

attachicon.gif2015-ford-mustang-red-585x300.jpg

You must be on crack... The Boss 302 is already a formidable opponent (though inferior) to the Z-28... The CURRENT Shelby would blow it out of the water... There's nearly a 170hp advantage to the Shelby...

This argument generally boils down to Corvette ZR-1 vs. Shelby GT-500 (to me, the 'Vette wins)... That $70k Transformers-mobile doesn't have a chance.

All that said... I know 1 Carmaro SS owner that Chevy voided his warranty on during his first year of ownership (blew out the rear 2 times, drive shaft twice, and tranny twice, then Chevy accused him of an aftermarket calibration since it took Chevy 3 tries to get it right at the factory and the ECU keeps a record of the flashes).... Granted, this guy drives it hard.

I know another SS owner that WILL NOT take his car down the 1/4 mile for fear of breaking it... The Camaro is a car for women... May as well just make the 6 cyl standard across the board and make the SS an appearance package.

Or... You can buy a man's car and drive it like man:

Edited by Maxwelhse

I'm a Mustang guy but I'm realistic.  Raw horsepower doesn't make a great car.

The current Shelby vastly overpowers the Z28 but it is not a better car.  The number that the Z28 put down at the ring is devastating.  It's faster than the LFA.  It's faster than the 911 Carrera S.  It's faster than the Audi R8.  It's even faster than the ZL1.  The Z28 has raised the bar on American muscle cars.

A lighter, better handling, normally aspirated Shelby with 500hp will be needed to keep up with the Z28.  

Clearly, I'm also a Mustang guy (and owner... also a Chevy owner and a Corvette fan-boy), but that kind of a horsepower deficient is HARD to overcome. You could damn hear 360 every turn at Nurburgring Nordschleige and still pull away in the straights (which are a plenty at Nordschleige) with that kind of power advantage. I own 4 vehicles that don't PRODUCE the power in just that deficit.

Yeah yeah yeah... Faster than an LFA (which is a marvel), faster than an upper-mid-level Porsche (certainly not a GT-3), and faster than anything I own...

Empirical data? I can't find any... It appears that Ford never ran the Boss, or Shelby, at Nurburgring (most probably Nordschleige, since that's were most OEMs test their spines) since I can't find jack on Google about lap times.

-------------

Furthermore, my other points still stand... I know a 2010 Camaro SS owner who had his warranty voided for driving it like a muscle car and a another 2011 owner that won't drive his car down a 1/4 mile because he knows he will break it on a prepped surface. I've drive my JEEP TJ down the 1/4 (I think 6-8 times, back-to-back) with 3000 RPM clutch dumps, once in 4x4, and wasn't afraid of it. That was 40k miles ago and she's still going just dandy. What kind of company produces such junk, yet has such a ridiculous cult following, as to manufacture such a frail POS as the Camaro?

GM...

Generally I cringe when I sit in any new car. Almost all domestics feel cheap and thin. But I'd probably spring for the stang. I loved my camaro because it was fun and cheap to fix. An american muscle car shouldn't be treated like some exotic sports car. I wanna be able to beat the snot out of a car knowing it can take it. I don't get that feeling for the most part from any american cars or trucks. They may be good cars but I think there is something missing from them. Maybe its character. Or something.

I have looked for lap times for the Shelby.  I know they ran it.  I've seen pics of it on the track.  But they never published the numbers.  Why would that be?  I can only think of one reason.

Not playing chevy fanboi.  I bleed Ford blue.  And that's why I want Ford to make a true world beater.  (Actually they already did.  The Ford GT, but that's a different topic.)  I especially want the Mustang to beat the Camaro.  In every test.  In every category.  I want the Mustang to put such a beat-down on the Camaro that the chevy fanbois put blue ovals on their camaros hoping to make them faster.

So the gauntlet has been thrown down.  Ford needs to beat the lap time of the Z28.  Hyperbole about spinning 360 every turn and still beating everything is just talk.  Lap times talk.  Bullshit walks.

Generally I cringe when I sit in any new car. Almost all domestics feel cheap and thin. But I'd probably spring for the stang. I loved my camaro because it was fun and cheap to fix. An american muscle car shouldn't be treated like some exotic sports car. I wanna be able to beat the snot out of a car knowing it can take it. I don't get that feeling for the most part from any american cars or trucks. They may be good cars but I think there is something missing from them. Maybe its character. Or something.

Funny you mention that... In '07 I considered selling my '91 5.0 and '99 TJ to help fiance an '07 Mustang GT, until I sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show... The interior was "ok" (not that my Fox or Jeep is anything to brag about) but the firewall as WAY too close to my feet and the window cut was up the my shoulder... there's simply no way to get your proper "Milner" on in a car like that...

All that said, as much as I enjoy how the power is coming up between manufacturers, I wouldn't buy any of them. Your cammy or my 'stang are the perfect wrenchhead mobiles. I'd rather BUF (big, ugly, and fast) something old than to drop $40k on this throttle by wire crap. There's a reason why you saw legions of 5.0 'Stangs and GM G body's on "Pinks".... They fucking work.

I have looked for lap times for the Shelby.  I know they ran it.  I've seen pics of it on the track.  But they never published the numbers.  Why would that be?  I can only think of one reason.

Not playing chevy fanboi.  I bleed Ford blue.  And that's why I want Ford to make a true world beater.  (Actually they already did.  The Ford GT, but that's a different topic.)  I especially want the Mustang to beat the Camaro.  In every test.  In every category.  I want the Mustang to put such a beat-down on the Camaro that the chevy fanbois put blue ovals on their camaros hoping to make them faster.

So the gauntlet has been thrown down.  Ford needs to beat the lap time of the Z28.  Hyperbole about spinning 360 every turn and still beating everything is just talk.  Lap times talk.  Bullshit walks.

I own a Chevy, 2 Fords (one is technically a Mazda, and it is the best engineered car I've ever worked on), a Chrysler, and 2 AMCs... I'm not brand loyalist for the sake of it either. I own at least 1 of every American manufacturer that built cars in my lifetime. I'm an automotive mutt.

That said, your foil hat is a bit prominent considering this isn't our government you're talking about...

I don't see any lap time for the Z28 at Leguna Seca (an incredibly tight track which should minimize the Ford's MASSIVE horsepower advantage), but you'll find info a plenty on the GT-500 and Boss 302 (ahem... the Boss 302 "Leguna Seca" model)... It think this is simply a case of not enough info yet. I haven't followed the GT-500 development under a fine tooth comb to see if Ford is hiding something or not. What I do see is 668hp sitting on the dealer lots with a full factory warranty straight from Ford... If you really want to put the name "Shelby" to the test, you get an 850hp SuperSnake,  delivered at the same dealership, with the same warranty granted through Shelby American. Given, we're now talking about a $100k+ car (which is why the ZR-1 is a more fair fight)...

I also want the Mustang to win because I honestly believe it is the superior car, as it almost always has been. I certainly have my original Pony Car loyalty at stake in this debate.

As far as the Ford GT goes, you're dead right. I proudly worked on that program for a very limited period of my career (helping to build it's gas tank, which is as rocket science as the rest of that car). That tank has 2 fuel pumps and 4 pick-ups (one at each extreme of the tank so it can never be starved for fuel, no matter how the car is pitched) in addition to a massive stainless steel spine that houses all of the plumbing and fuel filling capability. That tank was built right here in Indiana! :)

Furthermore, I was the de facto (I was a student engineer at the time and the actual engineer didn't have time to deal with a measly 40/yr car) engineer for Corvette tanks in the C6 era. I spent a good many days in Bowling Green working on Corvette (and I love them dearly... LOVE 'vettes!!! The fucking Hardee's next the plant has a giant Corvette mural painted all over it and I've never seen a town with fewer Mustangs in my life) and I've never met a crew of happier and more energetic factory workers in my life. I hope Chevy does well with the 'Vette... That is where I think the competition is at for the GT-500, not the ridiculously unreliable and underpowered Camaro..

---------

In regard to my hyperbole, I have the only parallel that I can financially afford at my back (which is weak evidence, I know): video games... I own Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 and Forza Motorsport 4 on 360.. I have raced Nordschleige thousands of times on both of those platforms. Both are critically acclaimed "simulators" and have legit stripes in the auto racing world (see this with the highly acclaimed LFA vs. a real race driver in a real LFA ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8cQ5gK6pDU_  FFW to 5min if you don't like the TopGear hosts).

In my completely simulated results, if you can drive a car (keeping in mind that I do own a real world  legit "muscle car" and have have had the privilege to race a few others), horsepower means a lot.. On the street, it means even more... Knowing how to powershift a stick, and knowing that your hardware is DURABLE for the long haul, means more than Chevy's race drivers running around in a factory prepped car.

Isn't the Shelby done outside of Fords hands?

The Supersnake is, but the "base" GT-500, at only a mere 668hp is straight from Ford...

If you want to punch it up to 850hp, then you're dealing with Shelby....

I'd love to compare prices for a durable Supersnake @ 850hp vs. a DURABLE 850hp Camaro from Ligenfelter (also a hometown favorite of mine... less than 30 minutes away!) or Hennessey....

Putting all of my card on the table, I own a $3700 Fox 'Stang with about $3k of upgrades. ANY car listed above would rip my doors, and probably paint, straight off.

Hmmm...that actually doesn't look half bad

Looks like they are going the path they did in the 70's. Bloated the thing so much they killed it. Slim it down similar to the 68 Shelby KR and forget about all the other crap.

It wasn't the bloating that killed it, it was the Mustang II, what a POS!

post-22191-0-10325500-1382041099_thumb.jpg

Doug

• Like 1

This is a pretty darn close rendering.  Someone I don't know, doesn't work at Rousch and didn't show me pictures...

bad_smile.gif

Mustang guy here, I currently own a built and blown 96' Cobra and I must say, what's coming out of Detroit from GM and Ford is very impressive performance wise. The last chunk of years it was horsepower, now it's horsepower and handling... And they're getting damn good at it. I've spent WAY too much money just to have my car be a little faster than stock cars down to the paper air filters!

I still want a C6 Z06 as my next car. With the amount of shit I've done to my Cobra in a Z06, it'd be in the 800 hp range and handle like a dream. FML

I just wanna see a twin turbo 4 in their reskinned Mazda5.

1. All models of car get bigger and fatter every time they update them, to keep pace with they people who originally bought them in their 20s.

This actually used to be part of the design intent for new models in a line. Old theory was, consumers would come in for a car, and at least look at their existing model. However, that consumer was likely looking for something slightly larger, with more features, and was earning a bit more than last time. So, models typically were designed to be slightly larger, more feature rich, at a high price point.

OK coffee, you win.  The Mustang is the god of all.

That's clearly the point I was making... what.gif

OK coffee, you win.  The Mustang is the god of all.

C'mon man, every Mustang owner knows that! wink.png

Agreed, my bias shows. :)

• Like 1

I'm biased but I prefer the look of the Challenger.

20131004_141732_zpse175bd5e.jpg

I also agree, but they look like they need lowered about a foot from stock ride height whenever I see one in person..

It's one of the few cars that I think looks MUCH better in photos.

I loathe the Camaro styling... I hated the S197 Mustang for a long time too and still am not a huge fan.. Ford seem to keep making it worse too (the minor refresh in 2010 to give it an Accord's ass is just plain horrible).

post-33185-0-64302400-1382789906_thumb.jpg

post-33185-0-58304800-1382789923_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The truck axle they keep using doesn't help.

If you're talking about the 'Stang I'll beg to differ... The 8.8" is actually a pretty solid piece with a couple of affordable investments made to it. I was on the fence for a long time about 8.8" vs. 9" (both truck axles I suppose) for my car. The money + the extra weight I decided the 8.8" was good enough for me. Lots of guys are running mildly upgraded 8.8"s into the 9s in "light" cars (~3200lbs)... Not sure how well they hold up in the heavy pig S197 platform.

I'll flame GM a bit here and say that ANYTHING is better than the S-10 rear in the previous generation F-body. I have no idea why GM thought a 100hp 4 cylinder axle would be just dandy for a 385hp V8 car.