I'm starting this post to see what those of you out there with little children use for hearing protection.

I have a little 3yr old that I want to take out to many events not including shooting @ this time. But I have had a hard time trying to find decent hearing protection for his little ears.

He's always been adverse to loud noises even when was in his mommmy.(he didn't like her @ the range shooting) And I'd really like to get something that will grow with him from this age to when he's finally able to go with to the range. He's even adverse to the big fireworks as well. As a car guy I want to take him to the races, motocross, and other loud auto related events.

Ear muff types are a bit heavy for a small kid.

Something like this is what I used when taking them to Monster Truck shows and such.

earplughearingprotection2.jpg

Not the best but comfortable so they wont take them off.

I wouldnt shoot anything hi-power, stay with 22LR, sub-sonic if possible. Of course public ranges sound like a war zone sometimes.

I only have these and I only use them when I go to the range.

pDSP1-10032535dt.jpg

The reason I asked. I want to protect his hearing as much as possible. He's great at finding some slightest noise when I need to find something.

My daughter is three and I shoot shotguns and pistols around her often. I don't shoot magnums, wildcats or anything that's super fast around her because her ears aren't big enough for in the ear protection that fits properly. Or at least I haven't found them locally. Once her ears get a little bigger I will use in the ear and over the ear protection when she is around the big rifles.

For now we use cheap "Radians" that are pink and fit her nice. She love them and keeps them with her cap guns in her little tikes refrigerator that she converted into a safe.

Here is the exact headset we use. You can fit them on too if you extend them fully. They work good.

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Lowset-Low-Profile-Hearing-Protection/dp/B001C4363Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373681242&sr=8-4&keywords=pink+hearing+protection

post-24315-0-14245200-1373681777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stryker0946

I don't like the idea of little ones utilizing hearing protection that completely blocks off all hearing like plugs. I would suggest electronic hearing muffs. I recently purchased a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport hearing muff to teach my daughter how to shoot. I purchased them solely based on Amazon ratings. I have not had a chance to use them yet. So the jury is still out.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373682393&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight+sport+impact

Edited by yakdung

I don't like the idea of little ones utilizing hearing protection that completely blocks off all hearing like plugs. I would suggest electronic hearing muffs. I recently purchased a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport hearing muff to teach my daughter how to shoot. I purchased them solely based on Amazon ratings. I have not had a chance to use them yet. So the jury is still out.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373682393&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight+sport+impact

not all in the ear plugs cut off all sound. i can have a conversation with my surefire plugs in and still shoot everything with comfort. Spotting a 338 for a buddy is not much fun with just the surefires in but better than nothing. Shooting with them in is nice. You don't depend on electronics and have the best of both worlds. They even make hearing aid type in the ear plugs that work like the HL muffs. They are custom molded to your ear and cost as much as a rifle.

In a pinch, foam ear plugs will do at a concert or on the range. I agree that not being able to hear orders is not ideal for a student.

Well if you really want to protect his hearing get suppressors.

Doesnt do much if the guy next to you is shooting a 50cal black powder though.

Find what he likes to wear and keep the caliber low. Even then it may not work if he is overly noise sensitive.

Good luck

We use these in my family. My wife and son are new to shooting and I like that the can still hear instructions with these on. They work great.

I liked them so much I also got myself a pair. They are low profile enough that they don't get in the way when using my scoped guns as well.

Edited by sccritterkiller

There is one brand of ear plug manufacturer that does make a small size ear plug. Howard Leight "Max Light" ear plugs are made in a small size, remember even small size is based on adult sized ear. It's not unheard of to use both (ear plugs and ear muffs) if a child is especially sensitive to noise. I applaud you for being proactive in going to the extra effort to preserve your child hearing. If you go to their website they probably have a request form for a free sample of their product or contact a local supplier of safety supplies in your area that carries Howard Leight products ear plugs are very cheap in comparison to hearing loss.

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max-small

I'd go with a pair of youth muffs instead of the plugs. The silicone style plugs create such a tight seal in the ear that I wouldn't want to risk a child just quickly yanking them out. Seems the foam plugs always work themselves out on their own.

My daughter is three and I shoot shotguns and pistols around her often. I don't shoot magnums, wildcats or anything that's super fast around her because her ears aren't big enough for in the ear protection that fits properly. Or at least I haven't found them locally. Once her ears get a little bigger I will use in the ear and over the ear protection when she is around the big rifles.

For now we use cheap "Radians" that are pink and fit her nice. She love them and keeps them with her cap guns in her little tikes refrigerator that she converted into a safe.

Here is the exact headset we use. You can fit them on too if you extend them fully. They work good.

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Lowset-Low-Profile-Hearing-Protection/dp/B001C4363Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373681242&sr=8-4&keywords=pink+hearing+protection

+1 to this. My preference is to muffs instead of plugs. The plugs just aren't comfortable. I know a lot of guys who use both, but I find most muffs are good enough to keep noise low enough to not cause any damage. As far being uncomfortable, really the only thing to overcome it is exposure. Get the muffs and take 'em out regularly.

Wearing standard cheap plugs inside of the muffs like those Howard Leight Impact Sport model provide the best of both worlds. The plugs are the main safe guard while the muffs amplify sound enough that you/they can still hear instructions. This negates the need for a perfect seal around the ear pads of the muffs, so that if hey don't fit perfectly or you bump them out of place when getting a cheek weld, you still have protection of the plug.

Even with plugs in, if you crank up the volume on those Howard Leight's you can hear better than you would without anything in or on your ears. The auto-shutoff of amplification that occurs at high decibel ranges also works so well that it is barely noticeable.

Edited by SGL

I plan to take him out next year around firearms. He's a bit to wired now to be able to sit still. I'm hoping that I will be able to take him to dirt track, motocross, and moster trucks. I'm looking for a cap gun to see about the unexpected noise from them is too much or not as well.