Opinions on .223 hunting bullets

Well, I have 5 different rounds for potential use in antelope hunting. The Federal 64gr SP, the Hornady 55gr V-max, The Hernady 55gr Z-Max, A 55gr Hornady hollow point, and the 50gr Hornady V-Max.

We have used the Federals and I like the few extra grains of weight but it is more expensive than the reloads. Not sure it makes a difference, but I like the idea of a bigger bullet.

I assume the 55gr V-max and 55gr Z-max only differ in color and marketing, and will perform the same.

I have only 60 rounds of the Fed 64gr. and have the others in more numerous amounts. The quantities asides, what bullets performance would you trust the most? Would you hunt with the 55gr hollow point?

They all give me 1MOA groups @ 100yds or better.

I want to know what you would think is the best one to use. Do you think they will do the trick on a lung shot if needed? We usually try for a neck shot, and I think all will sever the spine, but sometimes you need to shoot quick and take the chest shot.

Yep, for larger game the heavier soft point bullet. For smaller varmints the lighter faster bullets. The first three you listed will do well for light skinned antelope. Personally, I would avoid the HP for hunting. It will yaw instead of expand and potentially ruin more meat.

• Like 2

I would also go with the 62 grain soft point. The rest pretty much fall into the "varmint bullet" category in a .223.

Likewise... I would prefer a larger caliber myself... although antelope arent the largest critter going... I would still rather use a 6mm/.243 But thats just me... :up:

I think the 62's will do just fine with a properly placed shot.

:smoke:

Yeah, The Lovely Lady dropped her Antelope with the larger Federal bullet last season with a nice neck shot. I just seem to have around 3500 of these V-max bullets, and was thinking/hoping that they may also be useful......I can save the aprox, 1500 hollow points for "Other" Targets.......obviously I did not suffer any "Ammo-shortage" this past year.

Antelope are pretty small critters. My buddy used his 30-06 and pretty much destroyed the Antelope....The top of the shoulders and a good bit of the backstrap were ruined with his first shot, which also hit the spine...as shown here.....

post-16191-0-21647200-1373992806.jpg

Edited by RobRez