I used a Tapco stock and forearm when I did the conversion of my 7.62. Now I thinking about changing out both. The forearm first. I'm considering the Saiga Rifle AR Style Aluminum Forearm with Vented Slots offered by Carolina Shooters Supply.

I'd appreciate your input, positive or negative. If you have one of these on your rifle pics would be most appreciated.

I like that it's aluminum and the rounded shape. I don't need rails but they can be added if I change my mind later.

Let's hear it fellas.

THX

CSS-RIFLE-AR-SLOTS-3_zps83722797.jpg

Edited by Otis Shepard

OTIS,

I'VE PUT TWO OF THE CAROLINA SHOOTERS SUPPLY SLOTTED ALUMINUM FORENDS ON TWO 'X54R VEPER'S, ONE MINE, AND ONE BELONGING TO A FRIEND.

THOUGH IT MAY APPEAR SO, IN YOUR ABOVE PICTURE, THEY ARE NOT TOO BULBOUS, IMHO, BEING ONLY 2.O" O.D. (SEE PIC BELOW).

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS THAT ON THE 'X54R VEPR, THE BOTTOM OF THE FRONT TRUNNION EXTENDS DOWN INTO THE "BOX" THAT THE TENON OF THE FOREND FITS INTO.

I DON'T KNOW IF THE .308 IS LIKE THIS OR NOT.

IN ANY EVENT, I'LL INCLUDE SOME PICS OF WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO MAKE THAT FOREND FIT FLUSH TO THE FRONT OF THE RECIEVER, IF YOURS IS THE SAME AS MINE.

YOU'LL ALSO HAVE TO SHAVE A FEW THOUSANDTHS (EST. .003-.005) OFF EACH SIDE OF THE TENON, WITH A FINE CUT FILE, AS IT IS ALSO A FEW THOUSANDTHS TOO WIDE TO GO INTO THE "BOX".

GO SLOW WITH THE FILE HERE, YOU WANT TO LEAVE IT JUST A HAIR WIDE FOR A SNUG FIT.

I LEFT BOTH OF MINE JUST WIDE ENOUGH THAT I HAD TO "TAP" THEM INTO THE "BOX" WITH A 1LB. RUBBER MALLET.

THEY ARE THEREFORE TIGHT ENOUGH IN THE RECEIVER TO NOT NECESSITATE DRILLING A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE RECEIVER, FOR A BOLT TO GO INTO THE THREADED HOLE IN THE TENON.

INSTALL THE BARREL CLAMP, ON A TEMPORARY BASIS, WITH THE BOTTOM OF IT BEARING ON THE INSIDE OF THE FOREND, SO AS TO GUIDE THE FOREND ON A STRAIGHT AND LEVEL ATTITUDE, AS YOU TAP IT INTO THE RECEIVER.

BTW, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE TAPCO RAIL SECTIONS, THEY ARE CHEAP PLASTIC CRAP, GET YOURSELF SOME METAL ONES.

JESS1344

post-45478-0-62402400-1373969396_thumb.jpg

END-ON SHOT OF THE CSS SLOTTED FOREND

post-45478-0-62535300-1373969534_thumb.jpg

THIS IS THE RELIEF CUT THAT MUST BE MADE

TO GET THE TENON TO FIT INTO ITS "BOX" ON THE 'X54R VEPR.

THE .308 MAY VARY.

post-45478-0-95832900-1373969745_thumb.jpg

SAME CUT, SEEN FROM ABOVE

post-45478-0-64743800-1373969854_thumb.jpg

SAME CUT, END-ON VIEW

post-45478-0-24820800-1373969949_thumb.jpg

DIAGRAM OF THE DIMENSIONS OF THE CUT.

REMEMBER, THIS IS ON THE 'X54R VARIANT,

IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER CALIBER, YOUR

MILEAGE MAY VARY.

• Like 1
OTIS,

GET THE MILITARY VERSION, THE LEGS HAVE STAINLESS STEEL INSERTS AND ARE VIRTUALLY UNBREAKABLE.

THE L.E. VERSIONS LEGS ARE JUST PLASTIC.

THE SCREW-ON AND FLIP-LATCH VERSIONS ARE THE SAME PRICE.

THERE ARE ALSO SINGLE AND DOUBLE ACCESSORY RAILS FOR IT, AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT LIGHTS/LASERS.

JESS1344

post-45478-0-76973800-1374083875_thumb.jpg

post-45478-0-72248400-1374083986_thumb.jpg

Edited by JESS1344

OTIS,

ONE LAST THING, CONCERNING THE ACCESSORY RAILS, SHOULD YOU AT SOME POINT DECIDE ON A LASER, MOUNT IT DIRECTLY TO THE FOREND.

OTHERWISE, EVERY TIME YOU REMOVE THE GRIP POD, FOR WHATEVER REASON, YOU WILL LOSE THE ZERO ON THE LASER.

THE FLASHLIGHT IS OK FOR MOUNTING DIRECTLY TO THE GRIP POD.

JESS1344

post-45478-0-90100700-1374124228_thumb.jpg

I DID THIS WITH IT THIS PAST SUNDAY, 07-14-13.

OFF THE BENCH, OFF THE GRIP POD, WITH A T-SHIRT LAYERED UP UNDERNEATH THE GRIP POD.

THESE ROUNDS WERE SINGLE-LOADED INTO THE CHAMBER.

AMMO WAS BARNAUL "MATCH" 174GR. FMJ.

THE RUSSIANS EVIDENTLY HAVE A DIFFERENT STANDARD FOR

WHAT CONSTITUTES "MATCH" AMMO THAN WE DO.

I HAVEN'T DONE THE STANDARD TEST OF BREAKING DOWN

10 ROUNDS AND WEIGHING EACH CASE, POWDER CHARGE,

AND PROJECTILE, FOR CONSISTENCY, I DID, HOWEVER, SPIN THEM

ON A CONCITRICITY CHECKER, AN ANCIENT BROWN

PRECISION "LITTLE WIGGLER". THIS MEASURES HOW

STRAIGHT THE PROJECTILE IS SEATED IN THE CASE.

TESTING AT THE NRA LABS, BACK IN THE MID-60'S SHOWED

THAT EVERY .003 OF RUNOUT EQUALED 1.0" AT 100YDS.

RUNOUT ON THIS BARNAUL "MATCH" STUFF RUNS THE

GAMUT, FROM .000 TO .015, WITH MOST IN THE .006-.008

RANGE. THE AMMO I SHOT THIS GROUP WITH HAD A RUNOUT OF

.001-.0035. I HAVE SOME PPU MATCH AMMO WHICH I WILL RUN THROUGH IT,

WHEN I HAVE A CHANCE, PLUS I RECENTLY TRADED A BUD OUT OF A

LB. OF VARGET, WHICH IS ALLEGEDLY THE "GO TO" POWDER FOR THE 'X54R.

ALSO HAVE WHAT'S LEFT OF A BOX OF SIERRA MATCHKING 174GR. # 2315.

Edited by JESS1344

My only concern would be that aluminum transfers heat very well, so that grip will get cold in the winter and warm in the summer. I actually made my own fore grip from black PVC pipe ( with a heat shield) and fluted it with a ball end mill for my S12.

• Like 1

post-44856-0-58487800-1374349172_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture with the MD20 drum attached and the Magpul AFG attached to the PVC fore grip, I used some .015" shim stock for a heat shield inside and a strip cut from black iron pipe for the mounting bracket. I also made the FSB which has a set screw to hold the Molot style brake in place.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifSaiga 12 001.JPG

Here is a picture with the MD20 drum attached and the Magpul AFG attached to the PVC fore grip, I used some .015" shim stock for a heat shield inside and a strip cut from black iron pipe for the mounting bracket. I also made the FSB which has a set screw to hold the Molot style brake in place.

Very nice, but way beyond anything I could fab for my rifle. Point taken about the heat transfer on the aluminum forearm. I kind of assumed that M-4's typically use aluminum forearms and I haven't heard of issues. They probably contain shields....I'll need to investigate the CSS forearm option further.

OTIS,

HAD MINE OUT THE OTHER DAY, SEE TARGET PIC ABOVE, AND WHILE THE BARREL GOT TOO WARM TO GRASP FOR MORE THAN A SECOND OR TWO, THE CSS FOREND WAS BARELY WARM TO THE TOUCH.

IT WAS WARMER, OF COURSE, WHERE THE TENON INSERTS INTO THE RECEIVER, BUT WITH THE GRIP POD ON, YOU'RE NOT TOUCHING THAT PART ANYWAY.

JESS1344