Square recievers being phased out?

Hey I keep seeing reports of Molot only wanting to make slant recievers... first I heard it on vepr.com now Atlantic is saying the same thing... I hope this is not ture.

Someone did mention that they might make them squre if special ordered. Still seems crazy that they would want to make them in slant configuration, damn EU nations and their slant anti-squre reciever rules.

Any numbers/idea who is their biggest market? USA or EU?

http://www.vepr.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=641&start=10

I wouldnt fret to much, we're the consumers and if the slant cuts sit on the shelves long enough they'll be forced to ''special order'' the straights...what kills me is the fact its most likely bs anyways, reminds me of when the first batch of veprs even came in and eveyone sellin them were sayin ''this is the only thousand guns that will ever see american shores'' guess that was a sales pitch as well...

GUYS,

I TALKED TO THE WOLF-ARMS GUYS AT THE NRA SHOW AND THEY SAID THAT IT WOULD BE SLANT BACKS FROM HERE ON OUT.

THOSE GUYS, HOWEVER, HAVE SEEMINGLY VANISHED LIKE A PUFF OF SMOKE, ALONG WITH THEIR W-SITE.

ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER WAS TRYING TO FIND THEM TO REGISTER HIS WARRANTY WITH THEM, SO I DUG AROUND A BIT AND CAME UP WITH A NUMBER FOR WOLF AMMO AND CALLED THEM.

SPOKE TO A KID AT WOLF AMMO ABOUT WHATUP WITH WOLF-ARMS.

HE PUT ME ON HOLD FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES AND GAVE ME THE FOLLOWING CONTACT INFO:

STEVE BITTNER @ 865-982-3950.

HE, IMHO, CONTINUED TO DUCK AND DODGE ABOUT WOLF-ARMS, SAYING THAT THEY WERE "RE-DOING THEIR WEBSITE, HAD MOVED, HAD (THEREFORE) CHANGED THEIR PHONE NUMBER".

I'M THINKING, IF SO, WHY DIDN'T THEY POST A NOTE ON THEIR W-SITE, STATING SUCH, OR SEND AN "FYI" EMAIL TO THE SAIGA FORUM, WITH SAID DETAILS.

MORE HAPPENIN' HERE THAN THEY'RE TELLIN'..............

JUS' SAYIN'.

BTW, THEY ALSO HAD A VEPR ON DISPLAY WITH SOME KIND OF AN ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK THINGY.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

I talked to TGI (Tennessee Guns International) a few minutes ago.

They were the importers that dealt directly with Molot (the VEPR manufacturer) in Russia.

They have terminated their business relationship with Molot going forward.

There were some choice words spoken when referencing Molot's practices and from what I gathered, integrity was a biggie.

As for VEPR warranty issues, they also referenced Steve Bittner (mentioned byJESS1344 above) via email steve@mach1arsenal.com

I went to the mach1arsenal website and called the number (same as above) and talked to Steve.

You'll see lots of Molot stuff on their site by the way.

He explained that Wolf Performance Arms (WPA) is now going to be doing all the importing.

Before this change, TGI imported the VEPRs from Russia and WPA dealt with the U.S. distributors like Centerfire, Atlantic, J&G Sales, RRC, etc.

WPA was the middleman and directed TGI as to which models and how many to send to the distributors.

So now WPA is the new front man that took over TGI's function and they will still be responsible for the distribution at some level.

Not sure but I think mach1arsenal is a distributor and interestingly, TGI, WPA and mach1arsenal are all in Tennessee......hmmmmm.

Also not sure if Centerfire, Atlantic, J&G Sales, RRC, etc will be included on the distributor list.

Anyway, you might think having one less middleman would tend to bring the prices down since there's less hands in the cookie jar.....but apparantly the Russians seem to have visions of rubles dancing in their heads.......read more below.

As for the WPA website, TGI was managing it for them and when the importing deal went sour, they shut the web site down.

Mach1arsenal and/or WPA are working on getting a site up for WPA.

Steve was formerly with TGI, I believe he said, and is involved closely with WPA and said they have just recently placed an order with Molot and are expecting VEPR 12's and other VEPR rifles to arrive at any time now.

I didn't want to seem too nosey by asking specifically which models were coming and how much $$ they were going for but he did say the prices across the board are higher.

He also said dealing with Molot on warranty issues has not been a problem and he is personally handling things and has been for a long time.

The 54R extractor breakage issue came up and he said that problem was blown out of proportion due to the publicity the unhappy few that had the problem gave it on the gun forums and the nay-sayers jumping on that band wagon.

He said as of this time, out of all the thousands and thousands of 54R's sold, he has had to replace only 6 extractors and is waiting on 1 more from a customer.

If you go to the molot-usa site you can see the prices are higher there.....$1,400 for a VEPR 54R 23 inch slantback version 1.

Crazy prices but glad to see they are still (supposedly) coming in.

Edited by ozzie
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info ozzie... Seems like mad drama is going around all this importation business.

I don't know what Molot/Mach1 (or whoever raised these prices) is thinking with prices like that they are pricing themselves out of the market when a Vepr costs almost $1.5 k... there are many nicer guns for this price. Too bad not much in 7.62x54R though.

They are fucking crazy if they think many people will buy them for that.

In the future all Veprs will arrive with a slat back configuration there may be a few that trickle in the US before the fall with straight back but after that no more . We are expecting converted Vepr 762 x 54R rifles in mid August . Yes the Russians raised the price but we do not think is is going to be as crazy as $1400 for the 54R . We believe our converted 54R 23 inch rifles will be around $1075.00 ish range this will include a SVD style flash hider and black poly furniture .

• Like 1

In the future all Veprs will arrive with a slat back configuration there may be a few that trickle in the US before the fall with straight back but after that no more . We are expecting converted Vepr 762 x 54R rifles in mid August . Yes the Russians raised the price but we do not think is is going to be as crazy as $1400 for the 54R . We believe our converted 54R 23 inch rifles will be around $1075.00 ish range this will include a SVD style flash hider and black poly furniture .

So for sure no special order? Since someone said they had shortage of quality wood for squares then Is there anything from ATF restricting importation of everything but the stock/hand guard? I would rather get barebones gun and add my furniture than having to deal with those hideous (no offense to anyone hehe) slant-backs.

$1k is better than $1.5k but still... I know they sell them for less than $1k in Russian retail. If we become the biggest market just like with Saigas then I hope Molot will adjust the prices...

Looks like centerfire systems are the only ones selling the square backs right now. On sale for $729. The bad thing is that the stocks are unfinished. I was going to hold out until they come out with finished stocks because I like the way they look. This might be the last for the square backs for sale in the 7.62x54. They just sold out of the 23" barrel. I jump the gun and put my order in for the 20 1/2" barrel. I guess I can also finish the stock myself or replace it with any standard AK stock.

Looks like centerfire systems are the only ones selling the square backs right now. On sale for $729. The bad thing is that the stocks are unfinished. I was going to hold out until they come out with finished stocks because I like the way they look. This might be the last for the square backs for sale in the 7.62x54. They just sold out of the 23" barrel. I jump the gun and put my order in for the 20 1/2" barrel. I guess I can also finish the stock myself or replace it with any standard AK stock.

Hey, if you decide not to finish the stock yourself I'll that it off you. Let me know! Also, I'll take the foregrip if you don't want to finish that either. Thanks!! :)