Cut Vepr 12 barrel to 18" and thread for standard internal choke?

It's my understanding that the Vepr 12 comes with a 19" barrel.

I'm thinking about having it cut to 18" and threaded for a standard internal choke.

I will never use a brake so why not?

How about the SGM choke (Full or improved) with external threads. That way you don't have to blow a bunch of money having the barrel chopped and fitted for internal chokes, and can still use a brake or flash hider. A lot of guys have thought about the same thing, including myself, but in the end the value of being able to use a brake, which makes a HUGE difference outweighs the benefit for me.

If you haven't used one on your Vepr yet try one like the Tromix monster, mini monster, Bonesteel Firestorm, or Molot or CSS GK-01. I do not think you will find to many of us here who do not want to use a break at some point or another, but I can understand why you wouldn't. Either way good shooting!

http://sgmtactical.com/sgm-products/muzzle_brakes_chokes/vepr-12-full-choke-with-external-threads/

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/trx-mini-brake.htm

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/trx-monster-sgp61.htm

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-vepr12-brake.htm

http://legionusainc.com/molot-gk-01-12-gauge-recoil-reduction-muzzle-brake.html

Thanks, I have the SGM choke. I'm just one of those guys that think a shotgun looks better with a clean barrel. I also do not want to do anything to make it longer or heavier.

Thanks

No prob, I understand mine is long and heavy already and a little cumbersome. I am planning on chopping it down to about 12" and perm attaching the tromix monster brake. It doesn't really do a lot for weight, but I totally hear you I can't imagine it any longer either. I just like the recoil reduction because it starts to feel like shooting a carbine and is very easy to shoot.

I like the rem choke idea, let us know what you find and decide to do.

You'll need to open up the ports to get some cycling reliability with cheap ammo back.

Thanks, I have the SGM choke. I'm just one of those guys that think a shotgun looks better with a clean barrel. I also do not want to do anything to make it longer or heavier.

Thanks

No prob, I understand mine is long and heavy already and a little cumbersome. I am planning on chopping it down to about 12" and perm attaching the tromix monster brake. It doesn't really do a lot for weight, but I totally hear you I can't imagine it any longer either. I just like the recoil reduction because it starts to feel like shooting a carbine and is very easy to shoot.

I like the rem choke idea, let us know what you find and decide to do.

IMHO, for internal chopped barrels the best MBC custruction is something like this, that allow user to change internal chockes without any problem.%D0%94%D0%A2%D0%9A%20%D0%BD%D0%B0%20%D0%

Is that being produced right now? Model?
Yes, it produced in small amount in Russia for various type of shotgun, internal Dia of MBC are made for customer needs.
  • Like 1

Pappa Zorro, if you decide to cut down the barrel from a 19" VEPR-12 to something shorter, how far down will you have to cut it before seeing serious cycling issues?
What would you have to do to get a VEPR-12 to cycle reliably at 12 inches?

Pappa Zorro, if you decide to cut down the barrel from a 19" VEPR-12 to something shorter, how far down will you have to cut it before seeing serious cycling issues?

I talked to the guys at Sierra Ordnance about approaching the same project, and I think he said anything below 16" and you really start to run into problems. Since the Vepr is so new and the formula is not really out there for what exactly the Vepr needs to run reliably at shorter lengths. Here are a few modifications I pieced together from people attempting this move that might be required for the Vepr 12 to cycle reliably.

• Relocating the gas bock rearward: Sierra Ordanance
  • Re-Profiling and Polishing BCG, FCG, & Carrier rails: Pauly's Customs & EC4321
  • Enlarging or more preferably adding a 6th gas port: Evlblkwpnz via Vepr.org

More from Evlblkwpnz via Vepr.org:

1. Well, re-profiling and some degree of polishing may do it (trust me, things do not have to be super shiny to run), but some gas work may be needed, depending on how short you are going. The weapon should have 5 ports at .080" and a 6th port may need to be added, depending on how short you go, but other efforts should be in place and reliability tested prior to doing it. That's how I would go about it and I would not do any swapping or chopping of springs. Adding a port is a better option, IMO, than enlarging. The smaller the ports, the longer you can go before fouling decreases reliability.
  2. With larger ports, larger particulate/debris is allowed to enter the system, which usually means pieces of the shot cup/wad. From my own experience, a weapon with 4 ports at .093" will foul much quicker than one with 5 ports at .080", especially when using Federal Multi-purpose / Target / and Top gun loads.
  3. People often wonder why I like Winchester Universal so much. It is because the fouling is greatly reduced in comparison to the cheap Federal ammo. Running Win Universal is worth the initial 'smithing effort, IMO. Not easy, but worth it.
  4. Really small ports will clog easily (.070"ish). .080" seems to be the "sweet spot" for keeping the block clean while not clogging easily.

In the end, I had to ask myself why I really wanted to do a 12" cut and attach a brake. For me the time and money on a project like this and advice from a few vendors has led me to steer away from this project. I have had 100% reliability with my Vepr through about 700 rounds and I do not want to mess with that reliability on a whim/fantasy project just to see what happens. I do not have any guns I do not use and need all my firearms running at top efficiency. If I had two of these like EC4321 I wouldn't mind seeing where I could take it but I have a few other projects on the table that could use my attention.

I will buy VEPR-12 VPO-205-03 with 12 inch (305 mm) barrel. Work perfect from the box.

Pics by Eros as well as V12 (03) gas block configuration.

259586_original.jpg

259999_original.jpg

259465_original.jpg

• Like 1

I talked to the guys at Sierra Ordnance about approaching the same project, and I think he said anything below 16" and you really start to run into problems. Since the Vepr is so new and the formula is not really out there for what exactly the Vepr needs to run reliably at shorter lengths. Here are a few modifications I pieced together from people attempting this move that might be required for the Vepr 12 to cycle reliably.

• Re-Profiling and Polishing BCG, FCG, & Carrier rails: Pauly's Customs & EC4321

1. Well, re-profiling and some degree of polishing may do it (trust me, things do not have to be super shiny to run), but some gas work may be needed, depending on how short you are going. The weapon should have 5 ports at .080" and a 6th port may need to be added, depending on how short you go, but other efforts should be in place and reliability tested prior to doing it. That's how I would go about it and I would not do any swapping or chopping of springs. Adding a port is a better option, IMO, than enlarging. The smaller the ports, the longer you can go before fouling decreases reliability.
  2. With larger ports, larger particulate/debris is allowed to enter the system, which usually means pieces of the shot cup/wad. From my own experience, a weapon with 4 ports at .093" will foul much quicker than one with 5 ports at .080", especially when using Federal Multi-purpose / Target / and Top gun loads.
  3. People often wonder why I like Winchester Universal so much. It is because the fouling is greatly reduced in comparison to the cheap Federal ammo. Running Win Universal is worth the initial 'smithing effort, IMO. Not easy, but worth it.
  4. Really small ports will clog easily (.070"ish). .080" seems to be the "sweet spot" for keeping the block clean while not clogging easily.

In the end, I had to ask myself why I really wanted to do a 12" cut and attach a brake. For me the time and money on a project like this and advice from a few vendors has led me to steer away from this project. I have had 100% reliability with my Vepr through about 700 rounds and I do not want to mess with that reliability on a whim/fantasy project just to see what happens. I do not have any guns I do not use and need all my firearms running at top efficiency. If I had two of these like EC4321 I wouldn't mind seeing where I could take it but I have a few other projects on the table that could use my attention.

Molot 12 inch barrel model work perfect with hunting shot shells cartridges (32-44 g) from the box with 5 gas ports.

so the difference between the 12 inch VEPR and anything longer than that is the 5 gas ports? are those ports through the barrel and/or the gas block?

As far as I know Gas Block does not have gas ports, they are make in the barrel, so difference between models with difference barrel in gas port Dia.

Pic of standard GB made by K-Var similar to Original Molot

DSC02383.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

Pic of Molot IPSC V12 GB

msg-27758-0-91816200-1357413058.jpg

msg-27758-0-40550800-1357413055.jpg

msg-27758-0-58815100-1357413063.jpg

I will buy VEPR-12 VPO-205-03 with 12 inch (305 mm) barrel. Work perfect from the box.

Pics by Eros as well as V12 (03) gas block configuration.

259586_original.jpg

259999_original.jpg

259465_original.jpg

Papa Z, do you know how reliable this model is with light/target loads? That is the nice thing about the Vepr 12, that it will handle all loads w/o any problems. I don't get what the differences internally are compared to the 19" to make it run reliably. We have already have had forum members who have chopped their barrels and started having serious issues, it cant be just a shorter barrel and the same gas setup, right?

Papa Z, do you know how reliable this model is with light/target loads? That is the nice thing about the Vepr 12, that it will handle all loads w/o any problems. I don't get what the differences internally are compared to the 19" to make it run reliably. We have already have had forum members who have chopped their barrels and started having serious issues, it cant be just a shorter barrel and the same gas setup, right?

The history of this model is the following, it was designed as superior most compact 12 Ga weapon for self defense, so designed to work only with magnum cartridges only (4 magnum buckshot shells is enough to stop anybody smile.png, if we speak about most compact version with 4 round mag). The first line production examples work only with semi-magnum or magnum cartridges. Russian customers ask Molot to modify it for ability to use hunting shot shells 32 g, as far as I know, Molot redesigned the gas block of the barrel, all the other pars is the same as on other models. As I wrote above there is this model owner on the forum (Eros) who is satisfy this model, and most info I got from his blog in Livejournal, as well as from others guys from forum.guns.ru. I don't have this model, but plan to order custom model based on VPO-205-03 on Molot in the future.

UPD Some links to info about VPO-205-03 from Eros LJ and guns.ru forum (can be read with Google translate)

http://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/48/857694.html

http://pavel-novichkov.livejournal.com/25240.html

http://pavel-novichkov.livejournal.com/25622.html

http://pavel-novichkov.livejournal.com/27331.html

http://pavel-novichkov.livejournal.com/27597.html

http://pavel-novichkov.livejournal.com/40656.html

Edited by PapaZorro

as far as I know, Molot redesigned the gas block of the barrel, all the other pars is the same as on other models.

Ok... so they modified the gas ports in the barrel so that it could shoot lower powered shot?

If that's all Molot did, why is everybody having such a hard time making a 12" Vepr in the US?

PapaZ, do you know what the # of gas ports are and their diameters? Why couldn't we just do the exact same thing?

Also what is 32g shot? I'm not familiar with that.

Sorry for all the questions, but this is very interesting!

as far as I know, Molot redesigned the gas block of the barrel, all the other pars is the same as on other models.

Ok... so they modified the gas ports in the barrel so that it could shoot lower powered shot?

If that's all Molot did, why is everybody having such a hard time making a 12" Vepr in the US?

PapaZ, do you know what the # of gas ports are and their diameters? Why couldn't we just do the exact same thing?

Also what is 32g shot? I'm not familiar with that.

Sorry for all the questions, but this is very interesting!

1) Gram to Oz converter

32g = 1.1288oz

2) about port conf , I've wrote above in #14 post, just click the second link (Eros post).

I don't know the whole Molot know how, maybe Dia + diferent angle of holes, or just different Dia. Molot guys spent a lot of time tuning gas system of V12 mod VPO-205-03, after this model became very very popular.

Edited by PapaZorro

Before you buy the SGM chokes, make sure your bore is centered in your barrel. Mine isn't, and this results in one side of the SGM choke creating a "step" in the bore which can be felt with a finger. Probably not good for pattern size and consistency and possibly unsafe.

I'm probably going to have to find a smith who can cut the barrel back and who has a lathe long enough to turn the complete barreled receiver to rethread it, this time centered on the bore instead of the outside diameter of the barrel.

Must have been a new guy (or tired guy) doing the barrel threading at Molot that afternoon. :(