Csspecs steel S-12 mag production prototype pictures

Ok this is the first production prototype. First to be built on full tooling.

These still need to be sent to testers once we get done with the testing on our end. But odds are its going to look like the below photo other then it will be a flat black color.

Any questions or opinions are welcome.

Magazine is a 8 round capable of being loaded on a closed bolt. Magazine weighs about 14 ounces empty which is about 20% more then your average poly mag.

Mag function is very slick. All steel construction.

Likely pricing on first run will be around $60, we may be able to negotiate lower volume pricing with our suppliers.

It may be lower depending on actual production time but that is the early numbers.

a6473a713fe5585a7a1cf2_l.JPG

a6473a713fe55893559c66_l.JPG

• Like 15
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok this is the first production prototype. First to be built on full tooling.   These still need to be sent to testers once we get done with the testing on our end. But odds are its going to look li

Here is them with a finish.. I'll try to upload a video but my internet has been glitchy the last few days.    

Cameron I'd hang on to your dies and planning, nothing says that these actually work. Plus I'm kinda a small production shop, so there may be room for two. However you make great milled parts which is

Posted Images

Is there a hole drilled to see if its fully loaded? Any chance smoothbacks would cut a step or two from the production time?

No loaded hole in current model. Its not hard to feel loaded, but a witness hole could be added with little trouble during production.

Smooth backs actually take another step, the shape on the back serves to keep the metal flat during forming. Chinese style smooth backs have the fin during stamping and its cut away in another step.

We could have done something like m16 mags have, but it would have made the mags a little more prone to rimlock.

I have to go through my tester list again and make sure they are still able. We are doing about a dozen test mags in total, hopefully going out next week (they will be metal finished with a basic harden).

Test models may be a softer alloy then production as several of the dies are still in a soft state. They will show wear faster which is a good thing for finding problems.

• Like 1

I am still able. (Or able again after motorcycle smashing.) I'd like a close up picture of the locking lugs too. There is a fairing point or two which can smooth reloads a lot with a minor deviation from the shape of the factory mags.

be happy to test them myself... marine environment, wet environment, winter... well, in a couple of months a winter environment! LOL

Regardless, looks like another item to purchase from you! (.308 mags are the shit BTW)

They are good with 3 inch shells.

We are probably going to make the production models file to fit like the poly mags. We came up with a little different idea for the rear catch, its wider than on a poly mag to spread the load out a little more.

I spent most of the morning at every walmart and sporting shop in the area getting more 12 gauge shells... Apparently something happened in the last week in FL that has people worried about riots or something so all the 12 gauge ammo was gone rolleyes.gif .. I drove 100 miles to get 9 boxes of ammo, I did finally nail down a good supplier that has enough (they are spendy).. Oh well.

• Like 2

I know this might be a tough question to answer, and I am real happy to see steel mags hitting the market, but do you have any timeframe on a 10rd version? Some people are 8rd, some people are 10rd, the extra lenght and weight of the 10rd mag do not bother me.

• Like 2

Looks very nice, csspecs. The above mentioned witness hole could be dimpled and be added by the end user if desired.

As stated earlier, I'd be thrilled to test any way you like with my S12. It's a 2011, and it works like a cat's behind. My true passion is trouble shooting mechanisms like this, so I'd be very happy to systematically stress the mag to point of failure and report all results and ideas. Thanks for the consideration and the in-depth update.

• Like 1