I've thought about it for years, really never saw the need and not sure I really do yet, but I think its coming. Between where I live, drive, and work it’s all pretty much as safe of an environment as you can find. Live out in the sticks and I've got guns on tap there, have to admit one thing that bothers me is the prospect of driving up and have someone shoot me with one of my own guns because I don't have one in the car. Most of my outings are pretty damn dull and even a night out for drinks is at my local lodge so generally I’m buddies with everyone sitting on a barstool around me.

Some of this is based on just a feeling that there is stuff brewing that I can’t put my finger on but is there. In part it’s a reaction to the Zimmerman thing but it feels like a root cause that’s deeper that I don’t see because I live such a boring damn life. Yeah some of it is morons like Holder stirring up shit and so damn many people willing to kill someone for pocket change.

I’ve always thought of guns and 4X4 vehicles the same. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. When the need arises you don’t have time to go get one then you’re already stuck.

• Like 1

"Between where I live, drive, and work it’s all pretty much as safe of an environment as you can find"

I think when you said "pretty much" safe might be your clue.

Don't get your CCW at a gun show is all I have to say here. Good luck with it,

"Things" have been brewing for years, Doctor. Keep paying attention, those "feelings" are correct and may save your life some day. :up:

I compare having a gun to having a fire extinguisher in my car and my house. Like you said, "better to have it and not need it."

Am I eagerly looking forward to the day I get to use either one of those tools? Heck No!

But if I NEED that tool, I'll be damn glad I have it! :)

• Like 3

DOC,

NEVER IGNORE THAT QUIET LITTLE VOICE IN THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD, NOR THE HAIR STANDING UP ON THE BACK OF YOUR NECK, FOR NO APPARENT REASON.

WE REALLY DO HAVE A "SIXTH SENSE", YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE THAT PARTICULAR "HAILING FREQUENCY" OPEN, TO HEAR IT.

JESS1344

I’ve always thought of guns and 4X4 vehicles the same. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. When the need arises you don’t have time to go get one then you’re already stuck.

It seems you've answered your own question. You may never need it, but when the need arises, if its there, you can do it (legally).

ive out in the sticks and I've got guns on tap there, have to admit one thing that bothers me is the prospect of driving up and have someone shoot me with one of my own guns because I don't have one in the car.

I don't live in the sticks, but I do lock up all guns when I am out of the house. Do you actually leave guns out when you leave the house? I hope not (and feel free not to answer this question, its just to make you think about it).

oh I've got a gun safe I use but I'm pretty sure with a tire iron and a couple of minutes it could be opened

if you have one of those sheet metal school locker kind of "safe", then yes those can be opened with a crowbar in a couple of minutes, not so with a real safe.

I live in what I'd consider a comparitively very safe town. No racial crap, other than when shitbags stroll through as part of their commute. I still carry EVERY day. I look at this town as a gun free zone. It's only a matter of time.

As said above. No gun show classes. Spend the money and time on a good class. What you learn in that class could be the difference between a justfied shooting and a life behind bars. The class I took was around 10 hours. Almost 5 in the class, then 4 or so out on the range. Not one boring minute the whole day. Didn't hurt that the instructer let me shoot his full autohappydance.gif

• Like 1

I'd get it and not look back. You never know what the future holds, even in the safest of places. Don't be a woulda, coulda, should. Take responsibility for your own safety, and your family's.

• Like 1

I live in what I'd consider a comparitively very safe town. No racial crap, other than when shitbags stroll through as part of their commute. I still carry EVERY day. I look at this town as a gun free zone. It's only a matter of time.

As said above. No gun show classes. Spend the money and time on a good class. What you learn in that class could be the difference between a justfied shooting and a life behind bars. The class I took was around 10 hours. Almost 5 in the class, then 4 or so out on the range. Not one boring minute the whole day. Didn't hurt that the instructer let me shoot his full autohappydance.gif

You mean other than the "racial crap" you bring there-- right?

There have been those times I have needed and not had! Like a drunk attacking his wife for the car keys, and all I had was a lighting sidearm to stare the guy down with while his wife made her escape. (18" x 3/4" pipe with cast iron clamp) Or, walking into the gas station, and the guy you met walking out the door just robbed the place!

I haven't got mine yet either even though I'm qualified for it!

It used to be in ND that you go down to the county sheriffs office fill out the paperwork, they process it and do finger prints, photo and background check. they call you back in a couple weeks to go in take a test, then its sending in the info to the state. in about 60days you have your permit. Renewal is much easier. Get a form, get photos and write a check and send it into the state.

I'm not sure what you are asking me??? I don't bring racial crap anywhere. I'm just not a coward that claims to be not racist because I know a few blacks and even have a few black friends. I so love the "I'm not racist, I have black friends" Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

If you are trying to embarass me for being racist, good luck. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure I'd consider myself as much a racist as I would a realist.

oh I've got a gun safe I use but I'm pretty sure with a tire iron and a couple of minutes it could be opened

I bought one of those 3 point locking $100 sheet steel 10 gun lockers from Wal Mart back in like 07. I had about 20 guns in there staggered muzzle down then up to fit and the lock got jammed. It had a weak ass brass "coated" key that immediately broke off in the lock. One of the guns or slings was caught around the bottom latch of the lock. It wouldn't move even after I pried it off the wall and sorta tilted it to try freeing it up. So it took me a dremmel tool with reinforced cutting disc to make long incisions at the top and bottom corners and a sharp pry bar to pop that thing open. It defiantly is not the best safe but you anchor it to the wall right, you should not loose it very easily at all in a smash and grab robbery. You can't just put the pry bar in the seam at the door. The sheet metal is double layered and has a curvature that will not allow the pry bar to get any traction.

I'm not sure what you are asking me??? I don't bring racial crap anywhere. I'm just not a coward that claims to be not racist because I know a few blacks and even have a few black friends. I so love the "I'm not racist, I have black friends" Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

If you are trying to embarass me for being racist, good luck. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure I'd consider myself as much a racist as I would a realist.

Meh, I had a good take on it and not too "over the line.." I'll just delete my 2 pennies.

Edited by jdub23

I bought one of those 3 point locking $100 sheet steel 10 gun lockers from Wal Mart back in like 07. I had about 20 guns in there staggered muzzle down then up to fit and the lock got jammed. It had a weak ass brass "coated" key that immediately broke off in the lock. One of the guns or slings was caught around the bottom latch of the lock. It wouldn't move even after I pried it off the wall and sorta tilted it to try freeing it up. So it took me a dremmel tool with reinforced cutting disc to make long incisions at the top and bottom corners and a sharp pry bar to pop that thing open. It defiantly is not the best safe but you anchor it to the wall right, you should not loose it very easily at all in a smash and grab robbery. You can't just put the pry bar in the seam at the door. The sheet metal is double layered and has a curvature that will not allow the pry bar to get any traction.

Works for me

466,275 of us in Indiana can't be wrong. :) LTCH applications have gone up by 17,000 in the last year. I've carried everywhere I've gone for the last 6 years and wouldn't have it any other way.

People have tried to argue, "You don't need to carry a gun. Do you realize how remote the chances are that you would ever need it?"

My rebuttal: Want to go swimming with sharks? How about skydiving? Stand in the open during a thunderstorm? Build a house on a volcano? The odds are so remote that anything bad would happen, you'd be completely safe! Oh, not as sure about those things? Suddenly placing your life in anyone else's hands isn't so appealing, eh?

When seconds count, the police... Eh, you know how it goes.

• Like 1

If you have the right gun and a comfortable way of bringing it along ,it should and will be with you all the time like a wallet.

The wife's M&P 40 C is a nice gun and she is very good with it but she did not take it along all the time.

She bought a Colt Mustang carry lite 380 and it is with her all the time, all the time.

This needs to be considered as well