Looks like its discontinued on midway, but I get stuff from precision reloading pretty regularly. I'll look and see if they have a new one available I can pick up next time. Thanks

update: Looks like precision reloading doesnt have a book that says its for blanks anymore. Do you have any recipes or know of any other manuals that have recipes for blanks?

Edited by Turbo.M777

well, if all you want is for cinematic purposes... I am sure you could load REALLY light powder charges... not sure what you would use for wadding, as a real wad will come out of there with some force... and anything paper will ignite... anything with structure is going to be dangerous to anyone in front of it...

:smoke:

I dont think primers are loud enough. they make more of a pop, not a boom. I'll probably go to the sportsmans warehouse near my home and buy some blanks. I've seen em for sale there before. I'll cut one open and get some inspiration to experiment on my own since I cant seem to get any recipes.

• 2 weeks later...

I went and bought some factory blanks - Winchester Super X "loud report".

I shot a couple and was pretty disappointed by how weak they sound. No ear pro required, and these are labeled "LOUD report," and are factory produced with a team of R&D behind em. If they cant make a blank with a powerful sound, who can?

Moral of the story is, I dont think blanks as loud as a loaded shotshell exist.

I cut one open to look inside. Looks like corn media separated from the powder with a cork spacer.

post-38686-0-57061500-1375480829_thumb.jpg

the TRICK for a LOUD BANG is to acheive a higher PRESSURE... That's the challenge... to get a higher pressure without too much damaging media coming out the end of the barrel... otherwise, you are almost back to real shot-shells again!

:smoke:

• 4 weeks later...

I recorded a short video showing/comparing the Winchester "loud report" blank to a couple shells that actually have loads. On video, it sounds almost just as loud as a target shell. In person, it is definitely not the case. I personally wouldnt feel uncomfortable firing the blanks without earpro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1EXFc_Bc4

Edited by Turbo.M777