An absolutely beautiful day at the Point, good friends, scenery and fishing!
As usual for my son and I, we took the first ferry over and met up with Stacy & Adam for a day of sharking.
We were geared for the big boys and Adam had a yak for dropping baits and we proceeded to have some fun.
Several missed runs.
One really strong hook up/run cut off by either the bar or tail whip, which is good cause he would have spooled the Penn 8500ss he was attached to laugh.png

Specks, rays and sharks, a great day! :Thumbsup

Stacy's first Gator... Well first Speck at least... Congrats Stacy!

stacyspeck_zps57c44e1c.jpg

8-9' 200+# Scalloped Hammerhead
Rod: 6' Master Custom Striker
Reel: Penn Senator 6/0 114H
Caught on a whole mullet, Adam dropped the bait by kayak approx 150 yards offshore, in 20-25' of water.
Mr. Hammer dragged me about a quarter mile down the beach and it took me about a 30min+ to fight him in.
My thanks to a new friend, Janice, Janice great pics, I cannot thank you enough for the memories in them.
Many thanks to my friend and shark wrangler, Adam.

Get it on!
12ScallopedHammer072013_zps3a8b4957.jpg

Its On!
5ScallopedHammer072013_zpsfef21122.jpg

My shark wrangler
11ScallopedHammer072013_zps5882757a.jpg

Beached
7ScallopedHammer072013_zps664d9f13.jpg

Happy!
9ScallopedHammer072013_zpsbdaf0125.jpg

Release
14ScallopedHammer072013_zps0f840a1d.jpg

High Five
10ScallopedHammer072013_zps233ee355.jpg

Camp
13ScallopedHammer072013_zps28ade912.jpg

Today was such a beautiful day to enjoy God's scenery and do a little fishing!

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 5

I love Fort Morgan! and, I miss The Fish Camp Restaurant! We quit going to Ft Morgan when we turned into young men "had to be closer to the girls ;)" Now that I'm all growed up we look for rentals on Morgan beach. Damn we should have persuaded our folks to buy land there in the early 80's.....

Nice Bonnethead ;)

Edited by jdub23

I love Fort Morgan! and, I miss The Fish Camp Restaurant! We quit going to Ft Morgan when we turned into young men "had to be closer to the girls ;)" Now that I'm all growed up we look for rentals on Morgan beach. Damn we should have persuaded our folks to buy land there in the early 80's.....

Nice Bonnethead wink.png

Bonnethead... LMAO!

Ya know the DI Sea Lab has a $50.00 bounty on Bonnetheads right now, they need'em for some sort of research.

If it was a nice big Bonnethead, it would have been harvested, they are good eating. wink.png

Nice pics, CR! Congrats to your wife! Beautiful fish!

LMAO, Stacy is not *my* wife, shis Adam's.

This good looking ol'southern gal is my wife.

She doesn't fish, but she does shoot, so I'll keep her.

Carrieatrange_zps7a264f93.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno

Nice Bonnethead wink.png

Bonnethead... LMAO!

Ya know the DI Sea Lab has a $50.00 bounty on Bonnetheads right now, they need'em for some sort of research.

If it was a nice big Bonnethead, it would have been harvested, they are good eating. wink.png

Yes shark tale steaks on the grill! Yum!

Nice Bonnethead wink.png

Bonnethead... LMAO!

Just a whatever kind of cool story... One of my longest customers when I was personal training out of college. I had an old retired PhD fellow from UA that actually was one of the founders of DI Sea Lab. He was full of neat shit about living in the first underwater habitat that has now been moved down the panhandle somewhere but just full of cool ass diving stories etc... I didn't know it but he says that off the coast of Fort Morgan or Dauphin Island "forgot" is one of the biggest shark "estuary or breeding grounds in the world " People just don't know how damn dangerous that shallow spot is between the beach and the sandbars. I had the privilege of seeing that dude "swimming at dawn with the bait fish :rolleyes:" training for a triathlon in 2000 in front of the Pink Pony Pub get his arm bit off. I was too hammered from that night to walk down from the balcony at the Regatta to check it out. Man I love it down there!

Edited by jdub23

Nice Bonnethead wink.png

Bonnethead... LMAO!

I really can't tell the difference and there is absolutely no reason it couldn't be a hammer but it sure looks like a Bonnethead to me smile.png Growing up fishing down there every summer I would be quickly be corrected by the local when I referred to the Gulf as "the ocean" and a Bonnethead as a "hammerhead." Didn't matter, it was a Bonnethead! lol... Anyway I ain't never pulled anything that big out surf fishing! Really cool man! Hell I have never considered putting a hook on that big! lol.... As I babble along here, did you ever fish the jetty's down at Alabama Point for bluefish? Man talking about fun!!! Development has nearly ruined it down there...

Nice Bonnethead wink.png

Bonnethead... LMAO!

Yes shark tale steaks on the grill! Yum!

Whew, a lot of lactic acid in that meat after that fight. Making me do a bitter beer face...

Edited by jdub23