WTF??? You ain't going to believe this!

Just got back from testing to see if the failed porting attempt damaged my gun. (still at factory 4 ports)

Started with Federal bulk. Had a few that didn't hit the ejector and mash. A few stovepipes, and failures to fully chamber. Though it does seem to be certain AGP mags that are problems, as a few feed flawless. Mags are numbered, but I haven't kept good track.

Loaded up the Universal...... FUNCTIONED DAMN NEAR FLAWLESS FOR 80 ROUNDS! shocked.gif

Either God took pity on this poor soul and fixed it for me, or I beat this gun into submission!

Now I have to figure out why the Federal still has problems.

If you ran 80 rounds of universal well, you are Really close to arriving. Just a bit of tweaking friction may put you over the top. If not, just a tiny port enlargement should do it.

Think your carrier extension rod was rubbing inside a misaligned gas block or tube???

Edited by Nephilim7

The explanation is kinda simple.

1 your port size is still small.

2 winchester universal varies a lot from lot to lot. My first gun was tuned to run it 100%, then a couple years later (the next time I bought some) it FTEd a few. The gun didn't change, the numbers on the box didn't change, so the recipe changed. Most people think that win universal is made from blended leftover powders of whatever winchester has on hand. Lots of trap guys have chronoed it and found a fair amount of variation even within the same lot. It sounds to me like the batch you just got is a little hotter. -- So I added a couple tiny ports and tuned until that crap worked again, and Win Uni is still my last choice. I want my gun to run any ammo I can find, and anything my friends bring to the range.

I do know that the carrier hits the trunnion especially on hand cycling. It's up near the op rod connection. It hits when the piston leaves the guides. Mine has quite a bit of lateral movement in the carrier. It got even looser when I milled the ejector slot as it was rubbing hard on one side. Porting would have given me a chance to get in there and smooth things a bit, but as I'd have to drill that pin out, it probably won't get done. The lateral movement might also be the cause of the chambering problems. Noticed a little divot on the top guide finger where the bolt is hitting, so I'll have to stone a little more angle into it.

I don't think the loading would have changed from single shot to automatic within the same bulk pack box. The other 20 in that pack only had 2 capable of cycling. Who knows? It was strange to have the ammo problems reversed.

When I get the chance, I'm going to try the other 2 packs of Universal I have. Hopefully, they'll do a good job of zombie weed control. (last 80 cleared a good sized patch)

Same box huh!? That is odd. Something must have changed somewhere.

Nothing wrong with hitting the trunion. It should come to a stop at the trunion. hitting the trunion hard enough to peen or to bounce is a problem, and stopping short of the trunion is a problem. Coming to an exact stop just as it touches would be OK, but would be weak with some ammo. It would also be the slowest possible cycle time.

I tried to get pics, but they didn't show very well. I have 2 marks on the right side and bottom that look like it hits the piston guides and one crescent shaped mark on the left to the rear of the shell cutout. The rest is light rubbing, but the piston guide marks look a little wavy. I'm thinking about stoning those 2 down until smooth.

With the Federal's, they seem to create more upward force in the mags and push the bolt into the upper shell guide finger. Pushing the bolt upward while closing creates a rough spot just as the bolt enters the shell guides. It's just enough to stop the bolt in it's tracks while chambering. I've already rounded the bolt, and guide finger, and it's helped, but still needs tweeking to get it sliding smooth. The factory almost cut the little finger off, so I have to be careful in that area. (TOO MUCH VODKA! (Russian ballet wardrobe story there!))

These shottys are amazing creatures! After hours and hours of polishing, I wouldn';t trade mine for anything in the world, but getting it to that point is mos def a major labor of love. BUT, when it gets "there", there is an amount of satisfaction that nothing else can come close to! :)