Reccomend me a single CR123 weapon mounted flashlight?

Hi Guys

I'm after a small single CR123A tactical flashlight for my shotgun

Body diameter must be 1 inch

Looking for something around 500 lumens

Any ideas?

AUSTENW,

GO TO BATTERYJUNCTION.COM, LOOK UP THE OLIGHT M20-X WARRIOR 500LUMEN.

DON'T THINK YOU'RE GOING TO GET 500L OUT OF A SINGLE CR123A BATT. LIGHT.

GO TO LIGHTHOUND.COM AND GET THEIR 18650 3400mAh AW-BRAND RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES.

MUUUUUUCH LONGER RUN TIME, AND A BIT BRIGHTER TO BOOT THAN EVEN USING TWO CR/RCR123'S.

DO NOT-DO-NOT-DO-NOT USE THESE BATTS IN AN INCANDESCENT BULB'D LIGHT; IT WILL VAPORIZE THE FILAMENT, INSTANTLY!

ALSO GET THE WF-139 BATTERY CHARGER FOR SAME, ALONG WITH THE CAR CHARGER CORD.

RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES WILL PAY FOR THE WHOLE SHOOTIN' MATCH IN ABOUT 6 OR 7 RECHARGES.

CHECK THE ACCESSORY TAB FOR REPLACEMENT TAILCAP WITH REMOTE WIRED PRESSURE PAD AND RAIL MOUNT.

JESS1344

Hi Austen. If you have the money to do so, get a surefire. If you want 500 lumens and a single 123a lithium cell, it will most likely be an LED and they tend to be a bit more expensive. I have found that the light is colder but the bulb never dies.

An incandescent bulb in a single cell 123A unit won't last long at all and good 123a cells cost an arm and a leg. You will notice that cheap 123a cells die quickly and once you start one up, they burn out like a fuse. Quality cells can be activated and put away for a while. You can save a bunch by getting them in bulk. I like duracell and surefire bulk packs.

Another option for an affordable torch is the streamlight brand.

Check out their websites and choose the one that best fits you. Remember, cheap lights will die quickly on a platform with lots of different recoil pressures.

Hi Austen. If you have the money to do so, get a surefire. If you want 500 lumens and a single 123a lithium cell, it will most likely be an LED and they tend to be a bit more expensive. I have found that the light is colder but the bulb never dies.

An incandescent bulb in a single cell 123A unit won't last long at all and good 123a cells cost an arm and a leg. You will notice that cheap 123a cells die quickly and once you start one up, they burn out like a fuse. Quality cells can be activated and put away for a while. You can save a bunch by getting them in bulk. I like duracell and surefire bulk packs.

Another option for an affordable torch is the streamlight brand.

Check out their websites and choose the one that best fits you. Remember, cheap lights will die quickly on a platform with lots of different recoil pressures.

p.s. you're the first Englishman to call a torch a flashlight.

I don't know of any single CR123 light that will do 500, but if you go to a pair of them, or use a single 18650, you can get 650 Lumens from a Fenix TK22.

You can get them with the mount at Fenix Outfitters for about a hundred bucks.

The light is 5.75" long, 1" body, 1.5" head.

Tony

• Like 3

JERRY,

I'M NOT COMPLETELY SURE, BUT I DON'T THINK THEY HAVE RACOONS IN THE U.K.,

JUS' SAYIN'

JESS1344;~))

Ha Ha ha ha ha I thought if they had foxes they would have Racoons never been there

I talked to my friend who does a lot with surefire and other led and ir stuff. He said there is no way in heck you will get 500 lumens out of a single 123a cell unit. He said it might happen in another 20 years. For now you will have to use multiple cells for that kind of power.

+1 to Surefire. You get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience with Surefire. I had one of their lights on a .458 SOCOM and it blew the bulb out on the second shot. I called Surefire and the guy was complete fucking dick about it. He said their light could only handle .223 and wasn't made for the recoil of a .458 SOCOM. After hearing that, I surely wouldn't put one on a 12ga.

TONY,

GOT MY START IN LED LIGHTS WITH FENIX, THEY DO MAKE SOME GOOD STUFF.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW OLIGHT M22; SAME SIZE AS THE TK22, 950 LUMENS.

JESS1344

No, I had not seen that one Jess. That's a shit load of Lumens from a light that small. Looks likes its priced about the same as the TK22.

TONY,

THEN THERE'S THE KLARUS DOUBLE-DONG 1200 LUMEN WITH 2 18650'S.

ONE REFLECTOR IS SMOOTH, THE OTHER A FINE ORANGE PEEL, CREE XM-L U2 LED'S.

SUPER-FRIGGIN'-BRIGHT; YOU PUT THIS ON SOMEBODY, PARTICULARLY ON STROBE, AND YOU CAN HEAR THEIR RETINAS SIZZLE AND POP, LIKE TWO FRIED EGGS!

$159.95 AT BATTERYJUNCTION.COM.

post-45478-0-83999900-1374610684.jpg
Edited by JESS1344

50BMG rifles don't recoil very hard at all, so that claim isn't saying much. Put it on a 7.5 pound Ruger #1 in .450 #2 Nitro Express pushing a 500 grain bullet at 2,500fps, and if it holds up to that.....well then you have something. You're going to need shoulder surgery after a handful of those rounds.

Tony

I killed a Fenix (TK15 I think?) on my S12 doing 100rnds as quickly as possible (relaibilty test fun). Also killed a Primary Arms Gen2 weapon light (no surprise) and one other I forget. Right now I have a Powertac Warrior on and still running bright. Nice thing was both the dead lights were fixed no questions/hassles and reside on lesser weapons.

"7.5 pound Ruger #1 in .450 #2 Nitro Express pushing a 500 grain bullet at 2,500fps",

That would pound either end of the rifle. Wouldn't be my goto home defense gun.

Edited by SouthernOne

This may be off topic without me looking up the specs, but the Streamlight TRL1-S is the only one in the $120 range my CZ52 hasn't destroyed at about the 500 round mark and I think it's rated above 300 lumes. Don't know a thing about there customer service.

• Like 1

+1 to Surefire. You get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience with Surefire. I had one of their lights on a .458 SOCOM and it blew the bulb out on the second shot. I called Surefire and the guy was complete fucking dick about it. He said their light could only handle .223 and wasn't made for the recoil of a .458 SOCOM. After hearing that, I surely wouldn't put one on a 12ga.

That's odd. One bad egg spoils the whole bunch I guess. Surefire is the Tromix of the flashlight industry. While everybody was making complete shit or nothing at all. They had lights that could take a hit and keep working. I've mounted Surefire weapons lights on everything from a M2 to a 375jdj. The only Surefire I broke was a cheap Nitrolon flashlight that I dropped off a cliff.

The incandescent bulbs on specific older models were designed for 12ga and .223 since they were in spec for use in service. Sorry you had a bad time with them. All other flashlights on the market are basically shit compared to them.

This may be off topic without me looking up the specs, but the Streamlight TRL1-S is the only one in the $120 range my CZ52 hasn't destroyed at about the 500 round mark and I think it's rated above 300 lumes. Don't know a thing about there customer service.

Streamlight is a great alternative to the heavy pipe hitter stuff. I use their cheap flashlights at work and they do get destroyed but last a long time under heavy, heavy abuse. Unfortunately, they are made in china but when you expect to destroy or loose them, might as well.

The TRL is a good basic weapon light that will do the job. It won't hold up to abuse like the surefire but 98% or all operators will never use them on that level. I have used their weapons lights on my friends pistol and shotgun and they had a very nice beam and great output.

TONY,

THEN THERE'S THE KLARUS DOUBLE-DONG 1200 LUMEN WITH 2 18650'S.

ONE REFLECTOR IS SMOOTH, THE OTHER A FINE ORANGE PEEL, CREE XM-L U2 LED'S.

SUPER-FRIGGIN'-BRIGHT; YOU PUT THIS ON SOMEBODY, PARTICULARLY ON STROBE, AND YOU CAN HEAR THEIR RETINAS SIZZLE AND POP, LIKE TWO FRIED EGGS!

$159.95 AT BATTERYJUNCTION.COM.

Overkill? Fuck it!

When you see a real company claim that it will withstand the recoil of a 50BMG, they mean Ma Duce. It means it can withstand the automatic fire of a .50 cal machine gun, not an auto loading rifle.

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 1
  • 8 years later...