Flash hider only?

A response to another of my threads is leading me in a different direction.

I'm thinking of going with a 100% flash hider only... no brake.

What is the shortest lightest trimmest most effective flash hider for the Vepr 12?

My first choice for a FH is AAC but they do not make one for the 12s

Thanks

Edited by thefitter

I do not know what convinced you to go that route, but reasoning for use of a muzzle device is paramount. A flash hider only serves a real purpose in low/ no light applications where muzzle flash can disrupt your night vision. A muzzle break redirects gases in a manner to allow better control of a firearm and reduce felt recoil. There are also devices that pull double dury and perform both functions.

If you plan to do a lot of indoor/ low and no light shooting then a flash hider is the way to go. If not it is a heavy and useless attachment. If you plan to shoot your VEPR a good bit the break can help delay the inevitable shoulder bruising. If you plan to use it to target shoot and home defense then the conbination device may be your best bet.

The Tromix shark break is a excellent device that offers quite a bit of felt recoil reduction while also interrupting the muzzle flash. I have one on an AR and it works amazingly well. I will caution you though, it is not great for indoor use. At an indoor range the gills sweet the gases back into your face and make quite a mess of your face and eye protection. Outdoors though it is a beast and then some. The Chaos warthog i had on a Saiga also gave about the same results.

Go to the CSS website and look at Saiga muzzle devices and see which fits your desires closest.

I do not know what convinced you to go that route, but reasoning for use of a muzzle device is paramount. A flash hider only serves a real purpose in low/ no light applications where muzzle flash can disrupt your night vision. A muzzle break redirects gases in a manner to allow better control of a firearm and reduce felt recoil. There are also devices that pull double dury and perform both functions.

If you plan to do a lot of indoor/ low and no light shooting then a flash hider is the way to go. If not it is a heavy and useless attachment. If you plan to shoot your VEPR a good bit the break can help delay the inevitable shoulder bruising. If you plan to use it to target shoot and home defense then the conbination device may be your best bet.

The Tromix shark break is a excellent device that offers quite a bit of felt recoil reduction while also interrupting the muzzle flash. I have one on an AR and it works amazingly well. I will caution you though, it is not great for indoor use. At an indoor range the gills sweet the gases back into your face and make quite a mess of your face and eye protection. Outdoors though it is a beast and then some. The Chaos warthog i had on a Saiga also gave about the same results.

Go to the CSS website and look at Saiga muzzle devices and see which fits your desires closest.

Thanks. I had never intended on putting a brake on this. I was thinking about trimming the barrel back and just threading a internal choke in.

I might go with one of the short flash hiders.

Thanks. I had never intended on putting a brake on this. I was thinking about trimming the barrel back and just threading a internal choke in.

I might go with one of the short flash hiders.

I did think about just going with a flash hider as well, and think it would be a fine option. It is a 12 gauge not a howitzer so you can handle the recoil for the most part. I think the the brakes that have the most recoil reduction are generally the competition style that usually end up being too heavy or unwieldy to put use in a HD type shotgun. All the other brakes are fine, put they are not magic and I think marketing usually plays a heavy role in peoples assumptions and cravings for the latest and greatest. I went with the Tromix mini moster, just got it today and it seems very well made, but I am not expecting a huge difference, I will report back.

Fitter, go with what you like, any thing you choose will be better than no muzzle device, so have fun!

I did think about just going with a flash hider as well, and think it would be a fine option. It is a 12 gauge not a howitzer so you can handle the recoil for the most part. I think the the brakes that have the most recoil reduction are generally the competition style that usually end up being too heavy or unwieldy to put use in a HD type shotgun. All the other brakes are fine, put they are not magic and I think marketing usually plays a heavy role in peoples assumptions and cravings for the latest and greatest. I went with the Tromix mini moster, just got it today and it seems very well made, but I am not expecting a huge difference, I will report back.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Tromix Mini-Monster. I installed one on my V12 before the first time I fired it. I fired it at indoor and outdoor ranges, and now am starting to get curious about how it would feel w/o the brake. I will likely try it on & off the next time I go to the range.

I definitely don't like the added weight (wish they made it in aluminum), and it's horrible indoors having all the gases blown back in your face; my eyes would start tearing up in some instances. Possibly a necessary evil though depending on how effective it is with reducing recoil & muzzle rise.

Does anyone know of a brake that might keep muzzle rise down better than the Mini-Monster without adding more weight or notably more length (than the Mini-Monster)? For sure I was fighting rise on my last outing for my follow-up shots.

Side note: the Phoenix Kicklite stock I installed seemed to do wonders for my shoulder. Shot 100 rounds of slugs (lower-recoil 1300fps stuff), 25 rnds of #4 buck, & roughly 75-100 rounds of various birdshot, nothing but a thin t-shirt, and I've got a light frame... Experienced no shoulder/chest discomfort at all.

Edited by SpeedNut

The JTE brake is not as heavy as it looks. I was surprised how light and trim it is in person. I can't answer for comparative weights though. I can say that I didn't notice any adverse effect on handling.

I don't think any of the flash hiders really hide flash on a shotgun anyway. There is just too much fireball. They really serve 3 purposes: 1) looking BA. 2) breaching standoff. 3) dirt and muck standoff- i.e. if you trip and stick you barrel in the ground or something, it will probably still be clear enough to shoot without getting a looney-toons moment.

If you just want something for looks, there are lots of choices but I would rank them like this depening on your build style: Dinzag AK74 style, MD or DPH 10 slot, tromix mini monster, or monster with chop perm for extreme. *** Dreadnought dual mid barrel comps are in a whole other category of cool, but that is way more work, and the newer middies might work better.

The Tromix flash hinder is a very nice addition to my V12. Well built, stout muzzle attachment. I went FH route because I don't have a problem handling the recoil and I don't care for the idea of adding so much extra length to the muzzle, that most brakes do.

In the estore here they have a MD arms made 10 slot hider for $35 that is a 922 compliant part that keeps a smooth and svelt look but is functional and not huge. MD, as we all know, makes quality products so no worries there. If I were to go FH only I think it woulb be something incnsidered heavily.