Slant brake and cleaning rod?

I am getting the parts together for my conversion and reading a bunch on here.

From the reading that I have done it seems that what I want to do is not common. I want to change the gas block(no issue there) and the FSB so both have the retainers for the cleaning rod. I also would like to thread the barrel and put a slant brake on it. It seems regular AKM FSB's have a bigger diameter and will not work on a saiga. Is this true?

I know most use a AK74 FSB and go with the 24mm brake.

I would like the gun to be as close to an AKM as possible. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

carl

I've only converted Saigas in 7.62x39, all 4 of them in "AKM" configuration. Of course, you cannot use an AKM gas block, so it looks a bit off in that respect.

I used new Polish AKM FSBs and they fit just fine.

ez pz

P.S. the AKM FSB will, in my experience, fit a Saiga in 7.62x39 just fine. I don't know what caliber rifle you want to work on, so make sure that it has the same OD as the 7.62x39 variant. The barrel has a slightly thicker part where the GB and FSB will be, so that they can be press fitted of whatever. The FSB on mine partially hangs off of the rear edge of this thicker portion. You can use a 1/8th inch pin (just a cunt hair thicker than the standard 3mm) to compensate for that rear pin/portion.

post-36320-0-10375700-1374971266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Agent Lemon
  • Like 2

I've only converted Saigas in 7.62x39, all 4 of them in "AKM" configuration. Of course, you cannot use an AKM gas block, so it looks a bit off in that respect.

ez pz

P.S. the AKM FSB will, in my experience, fit a Saiga in 7.62x39 just fine. I don't know what caliber rifle you want to work on, so make sure that it has the same OD as the 7.62x39 variant. The barrel has a slightly thicker part where the GB and FSB will be, so that they can be press fitted of whatever. The FSB on mine partially hangs off of the rear edge of this thicker portion. You can use a 1/8th inch pin (just a cunt hair thicker than the standard 3mm) to compensate for that rear pin/portion.

Great info thanks a lot this is exactly what I was looking for. yes I am converting a 7.62x39 Do you mind telling me where you found the polish FSB?

-carl

ez pz

THIS is the way I want to convert mine too. not sure why others wouldnt want to add the cleaning rod to their conversion. i think it completes the rifle.