Tac47 autoplug question

I installed the autoplug and it works, my problem is it is very hard to install and take out for cleaning. I need a pair of pliers or a wrench to get it in and out, threads are fine on both gun and plug. And when it is seated its flush, worked at range but when I go to tune it it still is slightly mobile like it depresses the pin itself and moves when tuning it. Will it go in and out easier over time or did I get a bum plug?

The same crud that builds up on the inside of your gas system is the same stuff that's going to make your plug hard to take out/apart. If your first install is in a clean gun, make sure you're not cross threading. If it's in a dirty gun, make it a clean gun. As for the pin issue I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying...

^^^ perfect advise. Some aftermarket plugs have deep sharp detente notches. softening the corners with a file could make them easier to turn without sacrificing a positive click. On mine, I left the original detente notch as is. It requires a solid grip to turn, but is doable without tools. The notch I added I did a little shallower and used a round diamond burr to cut it in, so that it clicks and centers easily but is easier to move past. That gives each click place a different feel. So bottomed out and backed up to the first softer click is magnum, and further back to the solid click is auto.

FYI, I finally remembered to do a formal test of my autoplug mod last weekend. I brought some Rem 15 pellet OOB (I seldom remember to bring any factory ammo to the range anymore.), the autoplug and set up the video camera as I was running out of time to shoot before county hour until sundown rule. I set up several mags of different ammo and the ammo box. Then I found that the camera wouldn't turn on. I left the battery in the charger at home which I wanted to top off. so no video. However the mod works exactly as expected.

This. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1219-tac47-autoplug-gf-magnum-edition-mark-15/

There was a thread discussing the idea in detail a while back, with numerous requests for a test of it. I looked for the thread to update so all the interested people would see how it went, but I can't remember what it was called. IIRC, it was in a newer member's build thread and mod list. Maybe one of the guys who was building a specialty slug gun or something.

I kinda thought everyone (of the regulars) who would be interested had already read the idea or dismissed it by now. That'll keep me from getting an ego.

Since picking up more hours at the range I don't get to poke around as much as I used to but I'm glad I asked. Good job thinking outside the bun. Being able to safely and reliably run 3" is a worthy cause, I think I'll work on one of mine following your lead. A vid would be nice when your battery is charged up.

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing to pay attention to is I have found that different siagas have different tolerances in the tapping of the threads. Some are straighter than others, some have the bore in the gas block slightly lower than others creating interference installing the plug. If it's either of those issues you'll have to contact tac47 and talk to them about getting a modified plug.

Gunfun, anymore on your autoplug mod? I am considering doing it to mine but want to make sure it will work correctly with 3".

Yep. Proof tested it. Forgot camera battery.

You shouldn't need anything other than the album I linked above. It's ain't rocket surgery.

If the gas plug hits the barrel I think your only real choice is to turn down the O.D. of the knob. I can't see what Tac47 would do other than that.