Which would you choose?

Zastava M70 or M+M Romanian M10 build?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you chose?

• Romanian M10 side folder done by M+M
    • Zastava M70 with wood/no rail

My oldest successful pissed me off, so I'm dumping the AR platform. The Mrs finally shot my Saiga, and loves the Warsaw length stock. So, I'm contemplating trading my mixmaster AR for one of the above two.

There is only $50 difference in the price, and the M+M was lighter and had the railed forearm. The RPK rear sight and HK style front mated nice in my bad eye. This one still had cosmo caked in the tight spots(sweet smell, I tell ya!!). Comes with 2 Tapco slabside 30 rounders, and Romanian right-side wire folder(locked up really tight).

I did like the traditional wood on the Zastava, but it was a Century build, and looked fired. It has 2 surplus Yugo BHO mags with it.

So, which would you choose?

The M10 is a pretty cool gun. Do you really need/want the rail? The Zastava is a nicer looking gun and would be less of a "get it dirty" type of rifle. Doesnt the Zastava have an RPK thick receiver and a heavier barrel?

Get Yugo and call it a day ,wont be disappointed

here are AKs. There are AKMs and then there are Yugos

I would choose a Yugo even over a Russian AKM for durability, accuracy, fit, and finish.
Completely different animal, and in a completely different class. Yugos are the Cadillac(or Ferrari in AK world smile.png)

FYI

Romy = Standard 1mm thick receiver
Yugo = Heavy duty 1.6mm thick RPK receiver

Romy = Standard thickness front trunnion
Yugo = Heavy duty bulged sides RPK front trunnion

Romy = Low quality finish
Yugo = High quality finish

Romy = no provisions for flip up night sights
Yugo = provisions for flip up night sights

Romy = Thin AKM style barrel, cold hammer forged, chrome lined
Yugo = Thicker "real" AK-47 (NOT AKM) style barrel (like a Russian AK), cold hammer forged, not chrome lined (can you afford all the ammo its gonna take to wear it out, about 10 grand worth?)

Romy = Always considered to be the bottom of the barrel AK
Yugo = Always considered to be a top of the line AK

Edited by atakacorp
  • Like 1

This thread has me thinking about the Zastava's as well so thanks Lone Eagle for the initial question. A local (Alaska) dealer has them with wood hand guards and stock for around $1000. I am assuming it's high since I'm finding poly and under folder setups online for much cheaper.

What should I be concerned with when choosing one and what's with that gas block design? Will magazines be compatible if I later purchase a Saiga 7.62x39? And finally if you purchase a poly setup how hard would it be to swap out for wood?

Thanks in advance...

• Like 1

This thread has me thinking about the Zastava's as well so thanks Lone Eagle for the initial question. A local (Alaska) dealer has them with wood hand guards and stock for around $1000. I am assuming it's high since I'm finding poly and under folder setups online for much cheaper.

What should I be concerned with when choosing one and what's with that gas block design? Will magazines be compatible if I later purchase a Saiga 7.62x39? And finally if you purchase a poly setup how hard would it be to swap out for wood?

Thanks in advance...

ARe you talking about M70 or O-PAP

this is O-PAP

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-ak-47-m70-pap-7-62x39-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

this is M70

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/militaryproduct/assault-rifle-m70-b1

PAP dont have flip up night sigh,gas block w/the flip up grenade sight and an original yugo pistol grip.other than that PAP is Zastava made military spec rifle you'll love it.

dont pay a 1000 for PAP, M70 maybe

if you going to order from J&G make sure they will include 2 mags with the rifle

PS AK mags will work with Saiga just need bullet guide easy install

if you are taking about Yugo poly to wood ,its easy but make sure it Yugo furniture not an AK 47 , Converted Saiga poly to wood will require lower hanguard retainer and AK gas tube, the rest is easy just any AK wood will do

Edited by atakacorp

I don't know about Yugo being "Cadillac" (my experience with real Cadillac is not exactly favorable anyway haha) of AKs and all that but it is a good quality gun. The machining looks a tad better than the Romanian derivative. Just be weary of Century builds... you know how they go. But I do wish the Yugos put some chrome lining on their barrels, I started seeing minor wear around 4-5k rounds on mine.

Pick whatever you like/ fits you more.

Just FYI look at J&S sales ... they had a CAI Yugo AKM-47 OPAP M70 rifle for around $599.

Edited by HappYBallZ
  • 9 months later...

can you afford all the ammo its gonna take to wear it out, about 10 grand worth?

buying 10K all at once, yeah I can see how some people wouldn't be able to afford that. but, you would be surprised how easily you can  put 10K of ammo through a AK over a few years, unless you just plan on shooting 30 rounds in one year then quit until next year.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Century doesn't "build" the PAP M70, they just import it and swap out a few parts for 922r - and even the older M70 parts kit guns that Century DID have built by contract, were really high-quality guns.

It's a tough call.. Yugo is overall higher quality than the M10, but it definitely has different ergonomics than a normal AKM, and is a bit heavier.

Edited by mancat
  • 1 month later...

I'd go with the m70 personally. I find them to be more pleasing aesthetically and as functional as any other quality ak. You do give up a chrome lined barrel but gain a real military (as real as you can get) piece. The m&m are nice and all but to me they are just better finished wasr's with a shorter sight radius. I know the magwells are professionally done and they are quality controlled they just don't strike my fancy as much. Either way let us know what you decide.