Poly Chokes

I used the normal one skeet/trap shooting a couple weeks ago, did pretty good with it, and the slots do seem to have a little braking effect.

As dane axe says they do need cleaned, they get dirty quick.

PRO2A,

I'VE HAD THE POLY-CHOKE II ON A 19"BBL SAIGA-12 SINCE ABOUT '09 WITH NO PROBLEMS.

DON'T SPARE THE LOCTITE.

THE BREACHER AND FLASH VARIANTS DIDN'T EXIST BACK THEN, OR I MIGHT HAVE TRIED THE FLASH.

I MAY STAND CORRECTED, BUT IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE JUST THE OUTER SLEEVES, SO, YOU COULD SWAP THEM AROUND FOR THE BEST RESULTS.

EXPECT A CHANGE IN POINT OF IMPACT, IN PARTICULAR WITH SLUGS, IF YOU DO.

THE "VENTILATED POLY-CHOKE" AS THE POLY-CHOKE II WAS ORIGINALLY CALLED, AS I RECALL, OFFERS A MODICUM OF RECOIL REDUCTION, AS WELL AS FLASH SUPPRESSION, REDUCING THE MUZZLE FLASH TO A WARM RED FURBALL.

I GET THE BEST RESULTS WITH IT SET ON IMPROVED MODIFIED, WITH BOTH BUCK AND W-W SLUGS.

OFF THE BENCH AT 50YDS, I CAN GET LESS THAN PALM SIZED GROUPS WITH W-W SLUGS.

BE ADVISED, ALL FIREARMS ARE DIFFERENT, EVEN SHOTGUNS, IN WHAT THEY LIKE FOR BEST ACCURACY, SO DON'T BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT CHOKE SETTINGS/LOADS.

I RUN A BURRIS FF II ON A SIDE MOUNT, FOR THE OPTIC.

THE SLOTS IN THE POLY-CHOKE II DO GET CRAPPED-UP, BUT RESPOND PRETTY QUICK TO THE APPLICATION OF SOME KROIL OIL (ONE OF THE BEST CARBON REMOVERS I'VE FOUND, BTW), PIPE CLEANERS (NON-BRISTLE TYPE), AND AN M-16 TOOTHBRUSH.

THE SLUGS LEAVE A LOT OF LEAD IN THE BORE, AS WELL AS ACCUMULATED CHUNKS IN THE GAS CYLINDER.

A GOOD STIFF BRASS BORE BRUSH, AND A COUPLE OF CLEANING ROD SECTIONS, CHUCKED-UP IN AN ELECTRIC DRILL, ALONG WITH YOUR FAVORITE BORE CLEANER MAKE SHORT WORK OF BOTH BORE AND GAS CYLINDER.

FOR THE MAXIMUM IN RECOIL REDUCTION, GET THE ENIDINE SHOT STOCK, THAT REPLACES THE BUFFER TUBE IN THE M4 TYPE STOCK.

UNFORTUNATELY, THEY ARE OUT OF PRODUCTION, SO IT SEEMS.

SO GOES THE STORY, AFTER NEWTOWN, ITT/ENIDINE'S GUTS TURNED TO WATER, AND THEY QUIT MANUFACTURING ANY GUN-CONNECTED ITEMS:

THERE'S THE POSSIBILITY, APPARENTLY, THAT SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT TAKE UP PRODUCTION LATER THIS YEAR.
A SNAP-ON LIMBSAVER TOPS OFF THE M4 BUTTSTOCK.
JESS1344

I'm running this version.

http://www.saiga12.com/prodimages/S12-PolyChoke_II_002.gif

Yes, it does get gunked up quite quickly. I had mine freeze up and I broke the detent clip when freeing it. I used a piece of .041" stainless safety wire to make a new detent. Adds a little M-60 look to it.

I noticed that mine was slightly out of alignment when I first put it on. A few slugs later, and the misalignment was gone. Mine will keep a 6" group with slugs standing at 50 yards.

CAPT NEMO,

YUP, SAME AS WHAT I'M RUNNING.

IF YOU'LL TAKE THAT KROIL OIL AND WET IT DOWN AFTER SHOOTING, AND THEN USE THE PIPE CLEANERS AND TOOTHBRUSH ON IT, IT WON'T FREEZE UP.

IF YOU HAVE LET IT FREEZE UP, JUST GET A SMALL CONTAINER, LIKE ONE OF THOSE 4"X1" ZIP TOP ORANGE JUICE CANS, CUT THE TOP OUT AND STAND IT MUZZLE DOWN IN IT WITH THE KROIL FOR A LITTLE WHILE.

JESS1344

I am using the " bird cage " style. seems to work well enough. it does require periodic cleaning.

Are you referring to the "flash" style?

That's the one I'm leaning towards

Yes, I like it. however, it does need maintenance at times. just like anything mechanical. biggrin.png

I have the flash hider version. So far it's been fine. Scrubbed some plastic and carbon out of it now and again.

Next time I shoot my cheap reloaded Fed bulk-pack "birdslugs" I need to remember to crank down on it from cylinder/slug to IC and see if it strips off the wad a bit sooner and improves the accuracy of them any.