My granddaughter and daughter in law have both expressed an interest in shooting skeet with my son, only problem is he’s about 6’2 and they're both about 5’2. His shotguns that fit him well sure don’t work well for the girls on the length of pull or gauge for recoil without buying some feather weight loads.

While it brought a tear to my eye I started the project with my favorite shotgun a Remington 1100 Special Field in 20 ga. This is one of the 2 guns I want to be buried with just in case there is trouble on the other side of the grave. My usual 20 ga skeet gun is an old SKB that they don’t make spare parts for anymore so I wasn’t going to mess with the stock on that one.

While this gun has a 21’ barrel that swings pretty fast for most people to shoot skeet with I knew there was a change to be made that would add some length to the barrel when the girls were using the gun. The gun I have is Rem-Choked so I took an extended turkey choke opened it to .615 and welded a Cutt’s compensator to it. Makes for a damn long screw in choke but it adds a butt load of porting to fight recoil and makes the barrel long enough to get a smoother slower swing. Also got a Choate’s 5 shot mag tube for the gun if more weight was needed or someone wanted to shoot 3 gun match.

The English style stock would have to come off in favor of a youth model stock I got from Numrich, while the wood is not quite as nice as the stock the gun came with it looks pretty good. This seems to fit both girls pretty well.

Now we’re waiting for a day that my son is off and it’s not raining (man we’ve had a lot of rain here this year) to get the girls out at the skeet range and see what happens. I suspect the granddaughter will be a shooter, she’s been damn good with a 22 and a BB gun has good hand to eye coordination so time and broken birds will tell.

For the moment I’ve told them I want the gun back (they can keep the Cutt’s and the stock) after they have some time to play with it. Said if they buy a Remington 20 ga we can talk about maybe a swap but I don’t want to get into that yet.

My son is suppose to be sending me some photos when I get them I add them. The shot below is just a generic shot of these model guns as they come new.

post-26137-0-65704200-1374859784.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I made a mistaken calculation about shotguns for girls this weekend I brought only the lightweight 108 and accidentally only brought higher velocity loads at first. Neither girl liked that combo. The first girl complained that I didn't bring my IZ109 which she liked. I left it because it weighs a bit over a pound more, ad upper body strength usually seems to be what determines what girls will like. I guessed wrong.

How are the grand daughters liking what you put together, and what else have they tried?

At this point they're still waiting to get to the range on the elusive day that my son is off and it's not raining, getting those two events to happen at the same time hasn't been easy lately. So the new gun is pretty much untested other than by me at the house with a thrower in the yard. In part I was just checking that the Cutt's was on straight and didn't stop the gun from cycling. Gun cycles fine and point of aim is still dead on with the bead. Side note if I grip the gun in the usual fashion I'd beat my nose up with my thumb, stocks a mite short for me.

They’ve very briefly tried my SKB 20 ga and my sons Fabarm 12 ga both are semi autos and pretty light weight. They liked the 20 ga better with less recoil but both guns are just way too long for them to get a good cheek weld on. The granddaughter has shown she can shoot very well with a good stance and all with a rifle that’s short enough to fit her so hopefully having a fitted shotgun will turn her into a clay killer.

Clay / skeet shooting is really just point and shoot so having a good fit on the gun to the shooter is key to success, so kind of like Goldilocks the others were too long I hope this one is just right.

Between your post and YeOld tool's now I am really looking forward to having kids so that we can build guns together.

It's good to see people working to make shooting personalized and fun for each person rather than trying to make everyone else fit their guns.

say what!!! have kids OMG what have I done!!!

Ah hell I really like kids, deep fat fried is the best way to have them.

I've seen too many of the videos where some jerk gets a girl or kid to shoot some big ass ill fitted gun that they know will knock the kid on their ass and hurt their shoulder. That hurts the world of gun ownership because you don't get people who want to shoot that way. I want my granddaughter like my son to know how to shoot any gun safely not get hurt and then kick the jerks ass shooting a round of clays or 3 gun.

• Like 1