Question/Issues with POSP 6x24 scope

Well I bought my first rifle from MMA a few weeks back. Been to indoor range and a outdoor range with 100 yard last weekend. Was happy with the iron sights at 100 yards but wanted something more prescise and for 100+. Found a used POSP 6x24 on armslist last wednesday. So today after work, I headed back to the outdoor range. Had the RSO help zero me in with his scout scope.

The problem: setting the windage was fine but the elevation maxed out was still aprox 17" low.

Please keep in mind rifles and scopes are a new world to me but I always try to do all my research before making a move. Scope looks practically brand new. Only thing I could think of would be to loosen the 2 screws and reset the elevation to 1, but the RSO advised me that it wouldnt work. So before wasteing more ammo I descided to pack bag and head home. I am shooting golden tiger 124 gr. Thanks in advance for the help

Could be your side rail is out of line and is throwing the scope out.The other thing is are you adjusting it correctly?,the way I did mine (8x42 but same method) was to set the rifle and scope up at 50m with the elevation turret on '1' and the two reference marks on it aligned.Fire a four shot group with the top inverted V on the reticle on the centre of the target.Take the tightest three shots as your reference point and loosen the two screws on top of the elevation turret (do not touch the center one!) and whilst keeping the silver numbered drum still turn the top section so the V of the reticle moves from the centre of the target to the group of three shots.Nip the two screws up and shoot another four shot group.If all is good your point of aim should be the same as your point of impact.If it is go out to 100m and repeat,again with the turret set on '1'.

I hope this makes sense,this method has worked for me with POSPs mounted on AKs and a Dragunov.

If the scope is not aligned perfectly (like most ak style mounts then it might not lone up correctly at certain distances. What type of mount are you using? There are two main POSP models, the first for the SVD which shoots 7.62x54r and finally the AK's in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39. This could be a factor in adjustment issues you are experiencing. Last thing which personally I would try first is checking your mount and if you can adjust elevation via the connection to the mount, and if it's possible to adjust it by that.