Any Wrangler JK owners - 3.8 V6 is it that gutless?

I'm thinking about trading in my TJ within the next year or two on a 4-door JK Wrangler. If I do, I'll miss the TJ a lot, but the trade in value is just too high to keep it.

So I've been looking at used 2009-2011 JKs with the 3.8, because the savings are substantial over new ones.

I'm aware that the new Pentastar V6 is supposed to be much better than the older 3.8 V6, but that the 3.8 is a little more reliable. I really lean towards reliability over performance, but just how anemic is the 3.8 V6 in the larger 4-door JK?

I keep hearing over and over that the 3.8 engine is unbearably gutless, but a lot of the people complaining seem to not be familiar with this type of vehicle and seem to expect it to perform like a sports car. A lot of other people say that the 3.8 V6 runs just as strong as the old 4.0 and gets better gas mileage to boot. I have always driven nothing but 6-cyl small SUVs and trucks by choice, so I'm familiar with how they behave and I generally don't care.

I'm also looking at automatics. After nearly 15 years of daily driving manuals, I'm sort of tired of it, and the auto would make towing way easier and actually allow my wife to drive on long trips. She can drive a manual enough to start and stop, but she's terrible at it otherwise. I fully understand that Chrysler automatics can be questionable, but it seems that most of the JK's problems have been with the manual transmission instead - e.g. popping out of gear in 1st, etc.

FWIW I am looking specifically for models with 4.10 gears and rear L/S. I'm aware that a lot of people buy trucks/SUVs, never look at the gearing they're getting, and then complain that there's no torque. I don't necessarily need a Rubicon but would take one if I found it in the price range. I have zero plans to put huge tires on the Jeep - it will get a small lift just for the additional ground clearance, and stock-sized tires.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm at 58,xxx+ miles now. It's been rock solid so far. I have made some changes to make it more of a Jeep though. These JKU's are EXTREMELY capable off road. Like mind bogglingly capable in basically

Were there any problems that caused you to get rid of it?   If Jeep would just put a turbo diesel in the JK like it does in other parts of the world, it would solve a lot of the powertrain complaint

New 295/65r20 Cooper STT PRO's true 35" tire, 4.56 gears and Detroit Truetracs front and rear. She's a beast offroad!    

Posted Images

I had a 2008 4 Dr JK. The 3.8 was not that bad of an engine, I had a 2005 TJ before that. If memory serves it is the same that was in the Grand Caravan. To me both were sluggish but they are for 4x4 not speed. The 3.8 was an improvement over the 4.0 I6. IF you are looking for 4.10 gears then you need to look at the RUBICON (Stock 4.10) or Sahara that was factory upgraded to Dana 44 rear in a towing package.

I had a 2008 4 Dr JK. The 3.8 was not that bad of an engine, I had a 2005 TJ before that. If memory serves it is the same that was in the Grand Caravan. To me both were sluggish but they are for 4x4 not speed. The 3.8 was an improvement over the 4.0 I6. IF you are looking for 4.10 gears then you need to look at the RUBICON (Stock 4.10) or Sahara that was factory upgraded to Dana 44 rear in a towing package.

Were there any problems that caused you to get rid of it?

If Jeep would just put a turbo diesel in the JK like it does in other parts of the world, it would solve a lot of the powertrain complaints.

• Like 2

Not really, just moved on from Jeep to a pick up. I looked at the 2013s but I'm not feeling the Pentastar. Once Jeep releases a diesel in the US for the wrangler I will look at one. If not I will look to do a 4BT conversion. As much as I love Jeep I think they are catering to much to soccer moms now. Long gone are the days of a real utility vehicle.

The 3.8L is used in the minivans and Dakotas as well. Don't know about gutless, but get a 5 speed instead of the auto.

The newer JK's are Trail Rated. The early models weren't. I've seen several around here lifted and running off-road. Probably would never be a rock crawler like the traditional Jeeps due to the longer frame.

Wife wants one of these.

AEV-Jeep-Brute-Double-Cab-front-three-qu

Brute double cab is impressive. That with a diesel would be the best of both worlds.

Rumor has it the JK8 will go into production 2016.... but that's been the rumor for many years. At least they released the JK8 Kit.

My cousin had the 3.8 6banger and loves it. Does just fine hunting and trail riding, but was a tad hard on gas from his S10. I think that's in his driving habits more than anything. I don't own one, but wouldn't hesitate to after being in his. Take it for what its worth bro.

I thought all of the Wranglers were "trail rated" even though in my opinion that's nothing more than a marketing shakedown.

JK will be a DD and will never see rocks.. I destroyed enough quarter panels and side skirts when I was younger and used to do that sort of stuff. I'm nice to my rigs now, but still use them hard enough off road that I could definitely use the lockers if I were to get a Rubicon. Nothing bothers me more than seeing soccer moms driving the Rubicon who will never ever put it into low range or engage either of the lockers or sway bar disconnects, etc.

I would be fine with a base model so long as it had 4.10s, L/S rear, and I would probably throw a Detroit TrueTrac L/S into the front diff - I do a lot of snow/ice driving in the winter.

Thanks for the answers.. I suspected that the 3.8 was really not all that bad. The bottom line is all in the gearing, and a lot of people overlook that. I imagine the 3.8 with the right gear set will perform just fine for what I want it to do - daily driving, occasional light wheeling, and light hauling.

Edited by mancat

IF you can find a decently priced Rubicon go for it. You won't have to touch it. One word of advice. If it has a Hard Top check it for leaks first. There were a few issues on early models. Also check service history for recalls done. Make sure the 4WD shift linkage was upgraded. They had a tendency to pop of.... but it's nothing a zip tie can't fix.

I think you'll always be a little disappointed in the 3.8. I have a 2012 with the Pentastar and wouldn't want any less power. I'd definitely recommend driving it first. If you're borderline on power that limits what you can do with bigger tires and wheels and other mods, too.

Texas AK, that is why I am just completely avoiding 2008 models. I remember watching as a lot of first-year JK owners dealt with leaks and whistles. From what I've seen, most of it seemed to be fixed by 09.

I expect some drips every now and then with a Jeep.. Has always taken me a couple of adjustments putting the hard top back on my TJ before its sealed 100%.

I have a 2009 Sahara Unlimited auto trans with a 3.8, Rubicon transfer case, driveline, and axles plus a 3" suspension lift and 35" tires, currently running 4.10s soon to be 5.13s. My last was a Rubi TJ 4.0, manual, 37" tires, 4.38s. The current rig runs fine even pulling a 3000 lb boat. The 3.8 has more hp than the 4.0 but less torque. Gearing will cure a lot of that. I'm also running Ripp long tube headers with a good cat back exhaust and intake. Helps a lot. The TJ just had a cold air intake and a cat back off the factory exhaust manifold but was a very capable trail rig. The cure all to this is if you really want horsepower is a Hemi or Chevy LS V8 swap. (I'm still looking for a wrecked Camaro SS to scrap the L99 from). I'm even exploring putting an oil burner into it.

• Like 1

Yea got a 2008 its not to bad little underpowered but it gets around and gettin around 20 mpg. We also have the bigger 17 inch wheels so that dont help but I am little worried it will be way underpowered when we go to 33 or 34 here soon.

The two wheel drive that is not "trail rated"

We had the 2004 unlimited (long body two door). Never felt like it lacked power and it was an automatic with AC. Never left us hanging and was very reliable. Gas mileage was the reason we traded it for a 4x4 Tacoma extended cab 4Cyl.

Just one.... word to move your thread to the politics section :) .... Prius

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

I have no dog in this fight.

I know a V-6, in a light vehicle, is plenty of power.

Edited by Sim_Player

Just one.... word to move your thread to the politics section smile.png .... Prius

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

I have no dog in this fight.

I know a V-6, in a light vehicle, is plenty of power.

A JK is not a particularly light vehicle. Neither was the TJ, and the JK is more heavily built. I drove my friend's 4 door JK and I thought it was fairly gutless compared to my 4.0 TJ.

Also, "trail rated" doesn't mean shit. Back in the day, ALL new Jeep models had to be capable of traversing the Rubicon trail prior to release (not the gnarlier obstacles, for which there are bypass routes). When the Cherokee was discontinued, they reportedly had such a bitch of a time getting the new Liberty over the trail, that they dropped the requirement, and came up with that trail rated bullshit instead.

Edited by Netpackrat

I have never owned one of these but after many years off roading in a VW powered sand rail I have noticed that the 6 cylinder powered Jeeps seemed to better than nearly ALL other 4WD vehicles. You really dont need that much horsepower off road, gearing and suspension travel will take you al lot further. Like MT predator said put some 4.10 or 5.13 differentials in it, it will go a lot faster off road than you will want to go. My VW puts out 192 HP, with 4.57 gears and 32" Mickey Thompson Baja tires I run a 13 second quarter mile, I have never failed to climb ANY hill,and I have literally run circles around Hummers! If you get some ported cylinder heads a good midrange cam (260 degree duration) free flowing intake and exhaust you will be susprised, then you WILL need some suspension.

• Like 1

We had the 2004 unlimited (long body two door). Never felt like it lacked power and it was an automatic with AC. Never left us hanging and was very reliable. Gas mileage was the reason we traded it for a 4x4 Tacoma extended cab 4Cyl.

You traded one of the most sought after TJ's. At least you got a Yota.

I had an 08 Jk 4 door that I took to CA. It shifted a lot going over the mtns of CO and CA, but I got used to what it wanted and it really wasn't any worse than driving a TJ IMO. Just different as far as timing and when you have to mash on the gas. I have an 2011 JK 4 door now and it suits me fine. The limited slip works quite well in the snow as well. I haven't touched this one as far as mods since I really don't wheel any more. But I see a shit ton of lifted ones out here and they don't seem to be having any problems getting around and I highly doubt they all have Hemi swaps, haha. Judging by your response, you already know the pro's and cons of a Rubi. For mild wheeling, I'd highly recommend one. If you're gonna go hard core crawlin, get the cheapest mother fucker you can build it yourself.

Bottom line is... Drive one. Remember, it's a Jeep and not a Ferrari and go from there.

I love the 4-dr. Jeeps, but decided on a pickup for my needs. While I was researching them, I read from a few owners that if you're planning on upgrading gears, axles, lift kit and wheels anyway, you're better off to just get the Sport model and save a bunch of money up front, instead of getting the Sahara or Rubicon model.

Just a thought.

I have a 2009 JK Unlimited X with the 6-speed manual gearbox. Of the 5 Jeeps I have owned, this is my favorite overall. The 3.8 has a few more ponies than the old 4.0 IL6, but it's hard to tell and it doesn't feel like it has as much torque. My mileage is running about 16-18 mpg running 35's". The Pentastar seems to do much better in power and mpg.

I have right at 70K miles on mine and I have never had a mechanical issue with the engine or drivetrain. I've been day dreaming of the 5.7 Hemi conversion which seems popular around here. But, I have never not had enough engine to get where I want to go with the 3.8 and it's mostly sand and mud where I live.

Before I re-engine, I'll re-gear the axles first. Maybe replace the front axle with a Dana 44.

Macbeau...

I have a 2009 Sahara Unlimited auto trans with a 3.8, Rubicon transfer case, driveline, and axles plus a 3" suspension lift and 35" tires, currently running 4.10s soon to be 5.13s. My last was a Rubi TJ 4.0, manual, 37" tires, 4.38s. The current rig runs fine even pulling a 3000 lb boat. The 3.8 has more hp than the 4.0 but less torque. Gearing will cure a lot of that. I'm also running Ripp long tube headers with a good cat back exhaust and intake. Helps a lot. The TJ just had a cold air intake and a cat back off the factory exhaust manifold but was a very capable trail rig. The cure all to this is if you really want horsepower is a Hemi or Chevy LS V8 swap. (I'm still looking for a wrecked Camaro SS to scrap the L99 from). I'm even exploring putting an oil burner into it.

An L99 would be a crazy amount of power in that thing. That's 400 HP! If you do it, make sure to beef it up, or you'll be twisting the thing out of true every time you romp on it. Still, it'd be a hoot to drive. I'd be afraid to use it in the rain.

Keep a eye out for more than that. For example my cousin got his hands on a Caprice classic wagon used by a funeral home... The stigmata of a hearse drives many away, and keeps prices low. Meanwhile he got a wagon with a LT1, Cadillac suspension(had to be heavier duty to haul those heavy coffins), and enough room to haul the family, and his band equipment.

Chevy small blocks are common as sand and will definitely get you all the power you need...and more. 327,350, and 383 small blocks are the ones you want to look for.

Am I the only one who finds the commonality of them plainer than vanilla when I find them in a build? Choosing virtually anything else offers more character to a build.

I can't even begin to describe how dissapointed I am when I find them in old buicks and oldsmobiles...

If I had bought a TJ unlimited in the first place, I probably wouldn't haven started this post. I regret not buying one, and some times have thought about going that route rather than a JK, but the JK has a lot of other benefits.

Chevy small blocks are common as sand and will definitely get you all the power you need...and more. 327,350, and 383 small blocks are the ones you want to look for.

Am I the only one who finds the commonality of them plainer than vanilla when I find them in a build? Choosing virtually anything else offers more character to a build.

I can't even begin to describe how dissapointed I am when I find them in old buicks and oldsmobiles...

Yeah.. I'm one of the ones that gets tweaked when I go to a car show and see classic Fords with SBCs stuck into them just because it was cheap.

I appreciate all of the talk on builds/upgrades but if I get a JK it's going to be very little modification to the drive train. Only mild lift, stock size tires, and addition of limited slip to the front if it's not a Rubicon. I have no intention of daily-driving a crazy lifted rig with huge wide and heavy mud terrains.

Go with the 3.6l if u can. Better mileage, more power (0-60 in 6.8seconds), more refined and a 5spd auto. Stay away from the 6spd manual if u end up with a Pentastar, they've had alot of issues in the '12 + '13 models. I picked up a '13 JKUS two months ago and it now has ~4700miles on it and it is a blast to drive and so far with the low miles on it, nothing negative to report. I'm averaging 21mpg and I routinely drive 75+mph to and from work on the tollways.

I've only read about the performance of the 3.8 and everything points to it not having benefits over its predecessor (4.0) or its replacement (3.6).

Edited by Mullet Man

An L99 would be a crazy amount of power in that thing. That's 400 HP! If you do it, make sure to beef it up, or you'll be twisting the thing out of true every time you romp on it. Still, it'd be a hoot to drive. I'd be afraid to use it in the rain.
I know brother. Have one in my Super Sport.
  • Like 1

It doesn't take as much lift with a JK compared to a TJ to fit larger tires under it. A word of caution when lifting a JK though. Most kits will relocate the track bar mount off the axle with a raised bracket bolted to the factory mount to correct the geometry. When doing so and adding larger tires, it puts a lot of stress on the factory mount which is a shitty sheet metal bracket welded to the axle tube. Some kits include weld on gussets to strengthen the factory mount. My Fabtech kit did not come with gussets and I ripped the factory mount completely off the front axle tube. The welds held fine but the metal itself tore away. I contacted Fabtech to find out I purchased my kit before they started including weld on gussets. Instead of offering to send some to me, they offered to sell me the gussets. Nice guys huh? Anyway, I ended up stitching the factory mount back together and fabricated my own reinforcements which is welded directly on the axle tube. It is not coming off again unless I break that axle tube completely off. I did the same to the rear and reinforced the crap out of it. Both are probably way better than the Fabtech gussets judging by photos of what theirs looks like. I have read on several Jeep forums that people have broken these mounts on factory rigs with no modifications as well so beware.