What is the barrel diameter under the factory FSB extension?

I am trying to live with my basic conversion on my 5.45 Saiga and so have left the front end alone (so far). I am curious what the barrel diameter is at the muzzle though in case I want to thread it for a muzzle brake/flash hider. Can a steady fellow just carefully cut around the front of the FSB and remove the shroud? I got lucky with a SAR-3 once that I was able to just run a 1/2X28 die on and thread for a flash hider, I would like to do the same with my Saiga 5.45.

• 4 weeks later...

my 5.45 mics out right about .571 i think that is pretty standard, but id check with some of the more knowledgable guys on here first. but i believe you should be able to carefully cut that sleeve and thread or just take the whole block off and install a 74 fsb that has integral threads. thats what i did.

The Vepr's are the only ones Ive seen come threaded in other calibers from the factory in 14x1 LH under the FSB, like many of the 7.62 Saigas. Like Mancat said, Ive never seen on in another caliber that was threaded either.

• 1 month later...

Old thread but, I'll post for future researchers.

+1 for what ManCat said. It's easier to remove the whole FSB by partially drilling (weakening) the dimples and slicing along the underside with a dremel. Be careful not to nick the barrel. I cut into the barrel a tiny bit on my first gun but, it's totally hidden by the the new Bulgy threaded FSB.

My 7.62 conversion went perfect and the barrel had been threaded at the factory.

Make the cut along the bottom, carefully, and then slip a

flat screwdriver into the cut and twist it hard. If you cut deep enough, a crack should form and you can slide the original FSB off. Save it for future projects (like a custom FSB/Gasblock combo). :)

Edited by Sim_Player
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...