I have finished my latest AR build and have another lower ready to go. While I am eventually wanting to build a 300 blk, I really love the x39 round and would love to build an AR with the x39 upper. Trouble is, I have yet to find an upper that is reliable (according to the "experts".

Does such a creature exist, or are they out there with Unicorns and such?

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated! :)

I have a friend who has a Yankee Hill upper. The biggest problem we have seen is not so much the upper but rather the magazines. Not sure which brand but they have too short a curve in them and cause the rounds to bind up. Also had to "fix" front opening on magazine to be more like the AK magazines. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I built this from scratch and saved a lot of $$$. The only thing I did not do was cut and crown the barrel (It was a new HBAR 16 in. barrel I got from Numrich) ADCO did that and opened up the gas port as well. It is an Aero precision upper and lower. The upper is T marked and has an American flag laser engraved above the cocking handle. It has yet to malfunction and shoots 1MOA. Since the lower is registered I also have an upper in 5.56 and 5.45.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/ddoneill/photo10_zps3befc91b.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/ddoneill/photo12_zpsa9d1ea92.jpg

• Like 2

I built this from scratch and saved a lot of $$$. The only thing I did not do was cut and crown the barrel (It was a new HBAR 16 in. barrel I got from Numrich) ADCO did that and opened up the gas port as well. It is an Aero precision upper and lower. The upper is T marked and has an American flag laser engraved above the cocking handle. It has yet to malfunction and shoots 1MOA. Since the lower is registered I also have an upper in 5.56 and 5.45.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/ddoneill/photo10_zps3befc91b.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/ddoneill/photo12_zpsa9d1ea92.jpg

That's a sweet ar you got there!
  • 5 weeks later...

Unicorn ehh?

Behold yet another unicorn. smile.png

gallery_33361_710_1941920.jpg

It is a short stroke gas piston upper. It was built by Black Rifle Arms. He test fires all of his uppers with Wolf ammo and I can tell you it likes surplus ammo too.

Yes, the major issue for a x39 AR is the magazine. What you see is the ASC 30 round magazine and it does work. I will warn you the followers sometimes have some extra material, but you can take a pocket knife and shave the extra material off to keep it from binding.

3 mags, 90 rounds, nonstop. Not bad. smile.png

[Edit:] Build your lower with an extra power buffer spring for a gas piston upper (They have more felt impulse from cycling it seems) and for those pesky surplus primers the answer is a extra power hammer spring (works like a charm). Happy shooting.

Edited by ShadowFire
  • 2 weeks later...

Unicorn ehh?

Behold yet another unicorn.  smile.png

gallery_33361_710_1941920.jpg

It is a short stroke gas piston upper.  It was built by Black Rifle Arms.  He test fires all of his uppers with Wolf ammo and I can tell you it likes surplus ammo too.

Yes, the major issue for a x39 AR is the magazine.  What you see is the ASC 30 round magazine and it does work.  I will warn you the followers sometimes have some extra material, but you can take a pocket knife and shave the extra material off to keep it from binding.

3 mags, 90 rounds, nonstop.  Not bad.  smile.png

[Edit:]  Build your lower with an extra power buffer spring for a gas piston upper (They have more felt impulse from cycling it seems) and for those pesky surplus primers the answer is a extra power hammer spring (works like a charm).  Happy shooting.

yep, piston upper is the way to go for this....