Uinta 20 Round Magazine Wobble

Hey guys,

I know I've seen a couple threads/posts about the Uinta 20 round magazines and how they have a bit of wobble. I ordered their 3-pack and while I love the look of the magazine, the wobble is just a tiny bit of a nuisance.

Now before you close out, this isn't a thread to bash Uinta by any means. I'm actually trying to get down to why there is wobble and what can possibly be done to fix it.

I decided to grab one of my factory 8-round and Uinta 20-round magazines to do a side to side comparison to get an idea of what the differences are between them.

First, I noticed that the Factory 8 round has some extra material on it that appears to help with its seating into the receiver of the gun.

post-34098-0-89467200-1375302981_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture with the Uinta magazine inserted:

post-34098-0-79032900-1375302987_thumb.jpg

And with the Factory 8-round inserted:

post-34098-0-48237000-1375302993_thumb.jpg

Even though the extra material isn't -completely- filling the entire gap, I'm sure it at least helps a little with the overall fit.

Now the other thing that I had a feeling about was the width of the two magazines. So I took a pair of calipers and found that the Factory 8-Round is about 1mm thicker at the top of the magazine where it is inserted into the receiver. I'm sure that this is probably the main reason for the wobble in the Uinta magazines. Even though 1mm doesn't seem like much, every little bit counts.

Uinta:

post-34098-0-18649200-1375303000_thumb.jpg

Factory:

post-34098-0-62068600-1375303008_thumb.jpg

And yes, I did make sure to measure as closely to the same spot of both magazines to ensure that I got the most accurate reading possible.

Now after doing this (investigation?), I was wondering exactly how I could test this myself without spending an incredible amount of time and money trying to make my own magazines.

What if I used some JB Weld to add some material to the Uinta magazine, and then file it down so that all the dimensions were as close to the Factory magazine as possible? Has anyone tried this before? Does it sound like it would work? I appreciate any constructive input.

Mine do that too. Doesn't seem to affect function. Other users have reported that Uinta/FBMG magazines fit tight in their rifles, so there's clearly a bit of variation among the rifles. One thing to keep in mind, is that the lesser apparent wobble of the factory mag is in large part an optical illusion. The 20 rounders are a lot longer, so any wobble that is present, is going to be amplified out at the end of the mag, especially once it has the weight of 20 rounds of .308 in it.

Also consider the fact that the Uinta lugs are no bigger than those of the factory mags, but they are carrying the weight of over twice as much ammo on a longer lever arm. A super tight lockup might not be the best thing in terms of durability. As long as they are working fine, it's probably a good thing that there is a little slop to be taken up before those little plastic lugs will have to either hold, or break.

Making mags to tolerance when weapons are not, can be a pain. Have 2 S-308's. Same mag is tight in 1, lose in other. After tight tolerances of M1A's and DSA FN FAL's this can be annoying. Do have a couple "plastic" mags for a FN FAL. Function well, yet have same wobble issue.