Hogue AK grip installation how to?

Actually just got through installing an ati scorpion grip on mine! Pretty straightforward though...that is, if the hogue is anything like the ati.

Grab a big flathead screwdriver

Twist the crap outta the screw on the bottom of the grip (ive read quite a few horror stories about the staked screw but mine wasnt an issue at all)

Pop the dustcover

Remove the spring

Replace the block inside te receiver (if your new hardware came with a replacement...not a big deal either way)

Reverse the process to install being careful to not over torque amd strip the screw

Oh yea...your new grip should come with everything you need though you can just use the existing bolt if need be

Your new grip SHOULD come with it (the grip nut was the "block" i was referring to that lays inside the receiver). If it doesnt come with it you should be able to use the existing hardware granted you dont have one of those bastard staked screws that grt stripped out.

When i replaced my grip i tried to reinsert thr factory screw into the fctory

Your new grip SHOULD come with it (the grip nut was the "block" i was referring to that lays inside the receiver). If it doesnt come with it you should be able to use the existing hardware granted you dont have one of those bastard staked screws that grt stripped out.

When i replaced my grip i tried to reinsert thr factory screw into the fctory grip nut just to be sure and it worked fine...but like i said mine is an ATI.

As far as removing material from the hogue goes, a little sandpaper or a metal file should do the trick no problem

Sorry for the double post...doing this from my phone and it hates me

Are there any pictures or how to's on what needs to be done, and what parts are needed to install a hogue ak grip on a vepr?

Mine went on easy enough, really. It was a nightmare getting the screw out but thankfully it was simply locktite'd in place, not staked and all that mess. I used the screw that came with the Hogue grip and called it an evening, worked out fine.

Are there any pictures or how to's on what needs to be done, and what parts are needed to install a hogue ak grip on a vepr?

Mine went on easy enough, really. It was a nightmare getting the screw out but thankfully it was simply locktite'd in place, not staked and all that mess. I used the screw that came with the Hogue grip and called it an evening, worked out fine.

That's good to know. I have heard that the people trying to install the Hogue grips on the VEPR rifles have had to grind at them to make them fit. On my VEPR 12 i used the ATI Scorpion grip and it went on like a champ.

I had no issue installing my Hogue grip (no modifications needed) once the stock grip was off. Used the new hardware that came with it.

As for removing the stock grip, for sure that was no fun, the screw just didn't want to be backed out and it practically felt like the screwdriver would somehow break/tweak before that screw would move any further with all the torque I was putting on it... Until I found a method that worked for me: I unscrewed/backed out the screw about 3/4 of a turn, then as the screw resisted, I screwed it back in about 1/4 of a turn. Then backed out again around 3/4 of a turn, and when it bound I would then screw back in 1/4... Rinse & repeat and it eventually came out without half as much effort as I was first putting in. YMMV.

The new grip was well worth the effort for me, love the softer rubber & contours. If you didn't order the one with the storage kit, you can add that separately. Nice to put a lid on the bottom and the little organizer holds 2 AA's, 4 2032's, or 3 123A's.

I had no issue installing my Hogue grip (no modifications needed) once the stock grip was off. Used the new hardware that came with it.

As for removing the stock grip, for sure that was no fun, the screw just didn't want to be backed out and it practically felt like the screwdriver would somehow break/tweak before that screw would move any further with all the torque I was putting on it... Until I found a method that worked for me: I unscrewed/backed out the screw about 3/4 of a turn, then as the screw resisted, I screwed it back in about 1/4 of a turn. Then backed out again around 3/4 of a turn, and when it bound I would then screw back in 1/4... Rinse & repeat and it eventually came out without half as much effort as I was first putting in. YMMV.

The new grip was well worth the effort for me, love the softer rubber & contours. If you didn't order the one with the storage kit, you can add that separately. Nice to put a lid on the bottom and the little organizer holds 2 AA's, 4 2032's, or 3 123A's.

Where did you see the Hogue with available kit?

Where did you see the Hogue with available kit?

I'm not sure offhand what the policy is here regarding links to products for sale, so erring on the conservative side I'll give you the steps instead of a link:

Go to Amazon and search for "hogue ak storage". The top results will include the grip by itself, the storage kit by itself, and a grip/storage kit combo.