My AK project (so far)

I registered a while ago but haven't posted in a bit.
I haven't done a whole lot to this rifle since the original conversion.

So far I have moved the trigger assembly forward and installed the hogue grip.

Replaced the stock with an AR style buffer tube and Magpul CTR stock (non-mil spec)

Installed bullet guide and modified to accept standard AK mags.

Replaced the main/hammer spring with the one on C.S.S. (highly recommended!)

post-47140-0-30337800-1375404651_thumb.jpg

post-47140-0-33705400-1375404657_thumb.jpg

The two things that I'm looking to do next, and hoping to get some advice on, are optics and forend options.

I don't want a reflex scope, but I don't want a sniper setup either.

My rifle does have the longer barrel, so I wouldn't mind seeing what I can do with it at the range.

Something on the tactical side of things is probably what I'd be looking for here.

Now for the forend. I really like the Chaos rail and I also like something similar from one of the competitors not listed here.

My concern here is with the longer barrel...and aesthetics really...I worry that the longer barrel is going to look kinda goofy with those shorter forends.

I'll more than likely go with one of these anyway, but please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Yikes.

Dead forum?

Not really a dead forum, just the fact that your going to be limited on your optics with your requests, and for your forend, its your decision.

Theres only so many different types of optics, most of which will fall under the categories that your not wanting, reflex/red dot or magnified. The forend is totally preference. Depends on what your wanting to do with the weapon.

FWIW I just installed the UltiMAK Optics Mount on my S762 with a cheap Bushnell Micro Dot. It took some time but I notched out the original forend, In fact I liked it so much I just ordered another Untimak for my S223 which sort of been my project rifle for the last year. That might be good for you because you don't want a short forend due to the long barrel. I have the full size scope and side rail on my S308 but it's kind of clunky compared to this setup, plus you can cowitness..

Not that this will do you any good but I'm going to try and fit my Tapco forgrip to the Untimak when I do the S223. If I could put it off I will return the Tapco back on my S762 as well. Anyway the point is the original forend could be used with some mods if you wanted to go that way. I going to purchase Vortex SPARC for the S233 which I have on my M&P15, for under $200 I don't think you could go wrong. Lastly some folks don't like the Untimak and claim they gets hot. I took mine out last week and didn't have any heat issues.

1z52ge0.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of its preference. I forgot about the Ultimak. Ive handled one rifle with it, and it works really well.

I understand, I like the full size scope on the S308 just couldn’t do it here. I was trying to go with iron sights only but at my age I need help

• Like 1

If you dont want a reflex or a huge ass sniper scope i would suggest the vortex 1-4 pst or any other decent quality 1-4x. Its not overkill on the magnification and gives you the best of both worlds between red dot and a variable power scope. I absolutely love mine. If weight is a concern regarding handguards you can just dremel out slots in your factory hg and add moe rails for attaching shit. I did that after deciding i wanted to shave a little weight off of my old x39. Lightest possible configuration w a rail setup i could find.

FWIW I just installed the UltiMAK Optics Mount on my S762 with a cheap Bushnell Micro Dot. It took some time but I notched out the original forend, In fact I liked it so much I just ordered another Untimak for my S223 which sort of been my project rifle for the last year. That might be good for you because you don't want a short forend due to the long barrel. I have the full size scope and side rail on my S308 but it's kind of clunky compared to this setup, plus you can cowitness..

Not that this will do you any good but I'm going to try and fit my Tapco forgrip to the Untimak when I do the S223. If I could put it off I will return the Tapco back on my S762 as well. Anyway the point is the original forend could be used with some mods if you wanted to go that way. I going to purchase Vortex SPARC for the S233 which I have on my M&P15, for under $200 I don't think you could go wrong. Lastly some folks don't like the Untimak and claim they gets hot. I took mine out last week and didn't have any heat issues.

1z52ge0.jpg

That's a really great little sight for the money. I've got one on my 7.62. It's held zero perfectly after 500rds and I can still hit silhouette-sized targets out to 200yds fairly easily. It's spent a good amount of time in the rain without issue as well.

Yep that’s Bushnell I had squirreled away in the parts box. It makes it so much more enjoyable to shoot because I was struggling with the iron sights. My second Ultimak mount arrived yesterday for my S223. I was undecided which way to go but decided yesterday to spend the extra and go with the suggested forend so the S223 is still a work in progress. once completed it should look similar to the one on the Ultimak website