Re: Do Vepr .308 20rd mags require fitting?

I just purchased 10 new 20 round .308 Csspecs mags from a former Vepr owner (still sealed in plastic with the anti-corrosion paper). He said that all the mags were purchased new in the early part of 2013. They all have the three ribs, what looks like a blued finish, and the flat floorplate with the round hole (not the newer floorplate that has raised areas). I also just purchased one of the square back Veprs from Centerfire, will these mags require fitting in my Vepr? I tested two of the mags and they both inserted and locked up tight. Based upon the mark on the rear lug, the catch is holding about 1/16" of the rear lug. Looking at the mag from the top, the front part of the mag is touching the rails and the rear part is just below the rails. The bolt moves through the mag without making contact with any part of the feedlips or the follower. I have not tried feeding any rounds through the mag/rifle as I do not have any .308 dummy rounds at this time. Does it sound like any fitting will be required for these mags and what generation of your mags do I have?

Thanks

Edited by flyer

That was right before the change so they require a little fitting.

Could you be more specific as to what needs to be done to fit the mags, based upon my description of how they are currently fitting? Before buying the mags, I searched around and could only find one post where someone was having fitting issues and that was with a super vepr. You may want to create a thread that lists the major changes made to the mags with approximate dates and how the mags are marked/packaged to assist potental customers in determining if they are buying older mags. I purchased these mags based upon the pictures on your website and from the side they looked like the current mags (had the three ribs). If I had known that they were an older generation that required fitting, I would have just ordered the mags from your website.

Edited by flyer

Angled portion of the rear lug, just as much as needed to allow the mag to lock firmly, roughly the same amount of swing as the factory.

Packaging has not changed, Current mags have raised stamping on the floorplate and the floorplate is swept back toward the back rather then running all the way back.

Cut off was about January 2013. In the future we are going to start tagging them with a version number, current production are version 3 (slab sides are not counted in the versions).

post-2952-0-88723700-1375826843_thumb.jpg