GUYS,
d0eca201-723d-47e6-822f-c17049daf1c1-big
Japan's new warship "Izumo", which has a flight deck that is nearly 250 meters (820 feet) long, is unveiled in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2013. Japan on Tuesday unveiled its biggest warship since World War II, a huge flat-top destroyer that has raised eyebrows in China and elsewhere because it bears a strong resemblance to a conventional aircraft carrier. Izumo is designed to carry up to 14 helicopters. (AP Photo/Kyodo News) JAPAN OUT, MANDATORY CREDIT
ODDLY ENOUGH, ON THE 68TH ANNIVERSARY OF OUR NUKING HIROSHIMA.
NO COINCIDENCE HERE, EH?
Japan on Tuesday unveiled its biggest warship since World War II, a huge flat-top destroyer that has raised eyebrows in China and elsewhere because it bears a strong resemblance to a conventional aircraft carrier.
THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS ONE.
The ship, which has a flight deck that is nearly 250 meters (820 feet) long, is designed to carry up to 14 helicopters.
OR HARRIERS OR NAVAL F-35'S, OR OSPREYS; SO THE JAPS HAVE BUILT THEMSELVES AN LPH.
China recently began operating an aircraft carrier that it refurbished after purchasing from Russia, and is reportedly moving forward with the construction of another that is domestically built.
THIS COULD GET INTERESTING.............WHO'S GOT POPCORN.........
Though technically a destroyer, some experts believe the new Japanese ship could potentially be used in the future to launch fighter jets or other aircraft that have the ability to take off vertically. That would be a departure for Japan, which has one of the best equipped and best trained naval forces in the Pacific but which has not sought to build aircraft carriers of its own because of constitutional restrictions that limit its military forces to a defensive role.

Japan says it has no plans to use the ship in that manner.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA; REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!

The Izumo does not have catapults for launching fighters, nor does it have a "ski-jump" ramp on its flight deck for fixed-wing aircraft launches.

NOR DO THEY NEED ONE, OUR SHIPS NEVER HAD THEM.

YES INDEED, INTERESTING TIMES.

JESS

Click here: News from The Associated Press

Edited by JESS1344

Japanese are torn between wanting the US military there and hating them. With what I've seen it would be crime wise better if they left and financially bad for alot if they left.

I think Japan is see the true colors of this administration and getting ready to defend themselves from china and Korea.

Because they have little faith in our government now.Look what their doing to Israel.

• Like 1

Honestly its hard to meet the defensive goal without a helicopter/aircraft carrier.. A navy without aircraft is an unplaced artificial reef.

I would say that them building it is a sign that they lack faith in the stability of the US. Most likely they don't like the internal issues that seem to be cropping up badly since 08'

• Like 2

I see nothing sinister about a country wanting to protect itself. They might have chosen a different date to launch the vessel, but who are we to dictate when and where. The United States has had a very precarious relationship with the Japanese over the past two decades. I do believe they are reacting to the rising and looming threat of Chinese and Korean aggression. They, much like the Israelis, have noticed a decline in how they are treated by the United States and have begun to act accordingly. My hats off to them. Its a fine looking vessel.

• Like 1

Japan is in a tough place between honoring their post-WWII legal restrictions on military equipment, and being continually threatened with the real threat of military action from both China and N. Korea. I don't blame Japan for wanting to have some real blue-water capability on reserve.

This is nothing like the Imperial Navy of WWII.. Japan had an absolutely massive naval fleet - they were the third largest navy in the world at the time.

• Like 1

every thread except for a very few you come up with some aluminum foil hair brain observations. you really believe that japan is going to attack anyone just because they built one destroyer/AC carrier?

we had thousands of nuclear weapons as well as the soviet union, and we didn't start shooting at each other, that is called a deterrent, which is what this ship is. given that NK is the nutzoid in the pacific rim, and not that far from Japan, I can see why they built this ship.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

Japan is almost as Xenophobic as China.

China is xenophobic, and extremely expansionist, seeing themselves as the "master race" of the world.

I see this as a move to protect themselves against China.

We would be wise to follow suit.

• Like 1

I can remember reading of similar attitudes up until 12/7/41.

so you actually believe that Japan is going attack another country without provocation? damn the torpedo full aluminum foil ahead, remember it's the shinny side out haha.gif

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Japan is pretty xenophobic, so it ought to fit in well with a couple of guys here.

On the other hand PRC and north Korea are always making trouble and we have a pansy for a shot caller. There needs to be a local balance to keep PRC and NK in check. Japan is a different country than it was 60 years ago. I don't think they are expansionist. Further every person and nation has a right to self defence.

When an individual abuses that right, we take it away. We did the same for a few nations, but if you think about it, the entire generation that participated in those things is dead or convalescent now. Let Japan arm up. Ditto for any nation not hostile to us.

Keep in mind, that most of the countries in that area are relying on US to pick up the slack if someone gets agressive. I don't want to see us stepping in. Moreover, I don't think our leadership or electorate has the fortitude to both start and finish everything. I'd much rather see the nations in the area be responsible for thier own safety.

It's always infuriated me that the UK betrayed Hong Kong in 1998 to the PRC. They had a responsibility to protect their citizens.

I can remember reading of similar attitudes up until 12/7/41.

so you actually believe that Japan is going attack another country without provocation? damn the torpedo full aluminum foil ahead, remember it's the shinny side out haha.gif

Nice try but no, even at Pearl there was provocation, anyone that studies history can tell you the US knew what would happen with an embargo.

They just ignored the reality.

Now stuff your tinfoil where the shinny side doesnt.

• Like 1

Japan is pretty xenophobic, so it ought to fit in well with a couple of guys here.

On the other hand PRC and north Korea are always making trouble and we have a pansy for a shot caller. There needs to be a local balance to keep PRC and NK in check. Japan is a different country than it was 60 years ago. I don't think they are expansionist. Further every person and nation has a right to self defence.

When an individual abuses that right, we take it away. We did the same for a few nations, but if you think about it, the entire generation that participated in those things is dead or convalescent now. Let Japan arm up. Ditto for any nation not hostile to us.

Keep in mind, that most of the countries in that area are relying on US to pick up the slack if someone gets agressive. I don't want to see us stepping in. Moreover, I don't think our leadership or electorate has the fortitude to both start and finish everything. I'd much rather see the nations in the area be responsible for thier own safety.

It's always infuriated me that the UK betrayed Hong Kong in 1998 to the PRC. They had a responsibility to protect their citizens.

Well said sir

Not really.

Japan is nationalistic, not xenophobic. It unites them as a people, and it's something we

seriously need, with everyone being a Something-American, instead of American.

Also, the man in charge of the country is the President. He's ghettofied the office enough

without it being called "shot-caller".

Plenty of tinfoil to go around. Horrible misdirection tactic though.

I think it's safe to say that the Japanese are both. While being stationed at camp shields multiple times I learned a great deal about them as a whole. They are a remarkable and resilient people.

Not really.

Japan is nationalistic, not xenophobic. It unites them as a people, and it's something we

seriously need, with everyone being a Something-American, instead of American.

Also, the man in charge of the country is the President. He's ghettofied the office enough

without it being called "shot-caller".

It's both nationalistic and xenophobic. I can't remember the source or rankings enough to do a meaningful citation, so I won't try to. Some info on the topic can be found in Blink by Malcom Gladwell. However, whenever they do sociological work to index cultural profiles, Japan is almost always at or near the top for most xenophobic and most racist. They also still have a huge problem with ostracizing any people with mental illness or deformity, and still exercise some BS about marriage to people with pariah castes in their familiy HX, particularly leather workers. It isn't a problem unique to Japan, but it is still real. Current generation seems to be ashamed of militaristic and aggressive history, rather than expansionist. Who knows what they will be like a generation or two down the road, but you could say that about any country, us included.

I've had some interesting discussions with an acquaintance (USAF I don't remember his rank, but his current job seemed pretty cushy) who worked on a pentagon project to be able to anticipate national reactions to different situations and he said the military studies. A lot of the work had to do with figuring out whether our allies would actually back us up or not. Some of their conclusions were that it made a big difference how we asked. Anyway, it was all pretty interesting, but I would be full of crap if I pretended much more knowledge than what I just posted.

My general thoughts about a well armed Japan is that it is sort of like having a well armed Israel. We are committed to protect south Korea, but I think if we ever needed to we would wuss out and renege. North Korea's decision makers are not grounded in reality, but I think they can accurately gauge our waffling. About the only nation in the area with the capability to respond to their frequent sabre rattling and aggression has been Japan. Japan does not have the military to immediately respond to a prolonged war, but I could see them doing a rapid missile response and obliterating NK's military capacity pretty fast if they had the supplies. Kinda like how we will probably let Iran become too powerful to stop before we interfere, but Israel has no qualms about bombing their nuclear research facilities.

Feel free to disregard my thoughts if you don't think they are right or well founded.

• Like 1

That's a nice carrier.....I mean destroyer.

"Um...Those aren't planes, they're cruise missiles."

I also see this as a reaction to instability in the region caused mostly by North Korea. That China is also expanding its military hardware would only make it more reasonable for Japan to want to shore up its offshore defenses.

Don't they need to be focusing on cleaning up a FUBARd nuclear power plant?

They have a nuclear neighbor who keeps making threats and has recently sunk neighboring warships, and has attacked some of theirs too.

So yes, but they probably don't want any more radiation getting sent their way.

depends on how the word is used.. Gaijin can have a negative connotation..

I can tell you from living in Japan, it IS a very Xenophobic and RACIST country.

they even drive around in these little vans bitchin' about the round eye devil & evil Koreans...

300px-Japanese_nationalism.jpg

depends on how the word is used.. Gaijin can have a negative connotation..

I can tell you from living in Japan, it IS a very Xenophobic and RACIST country.

Yup. Lived there a few years myself. The belief that they are the superior race is not a joke. Something about being an island culture that really reinforces it.