Gonna test the Tapco AK74 10 round 5.45 mags

I had a thought a few weeks ago and wondered if the Tapco AK74 5.45 10 round mag might work in the 223 VEPR with a bullet guide. I PM'd with Captain Hero, and Greg at Carolina Shooter Supply to get some initial checking, and run the idea past them before making a purchase.

From what I know so far, 223 ammo will fit into the Tapco 10 round 5.45 mag. Which, I thought it would, since many early 223 Saiga owners used 5.45 mags before 223 mags became easy to find. The big issue by most accounts was that 223 ammo was hanging up in 30 round mags due the curve if the mag and the ammo not traveling properly in the mag without a modified mag follower. By most accounts many people could manage 10-15 rounds without major feed issues.

So my theory is that 223 ammo should feed fine in the Tapco 10rnd 5.45 mag since it has little curve in it, and hopefully since it is made for the AK74 magwell which is what the 223 VEPR has it should fit the width of the magwell without modification.

If Greg gets the mags to me as fast as all of past orders I should have them in hand Saturday or Monday next week to test fit, and then off to the range for function testing.

If they work this will give 223 VEPR owners a 10 round mag option that is 1/3 the price of the factory VEPR mags which are out there but not always easy to locate.

Wish us all luck Gentlemen.

• Like 1

Update-

Mags arrived!They snap right in! Perfect fit in the VEPRnov!

Loaded 10 live rounds in both and headed out to the back yard to cycle em. (found out 11 actually fit)

Both mags hand racked cycled perfectly!

I will be going to the range on Monday to live fire, but at this pint I have no doubt they will work fine. I'm gonna put up a follow up after the range trip with photos.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

. . . 223 ammo was hanging up in 30 round mags due the curve if the mag and the ammo not traveling properly in the mag without a modified mag follower. By most accounts many people could manage 10-15 rounds without major feed issues. . . .

Was wondering how the mag follower was modified?

. . . 223 ammo was hanging up in 30 round mags due the curve if the mag and the ammo not traveling properly in the mag without a modified mag follower. By most accounts many people could manage 10-15 rounds without major feed issues. . . .

Was wondering how the mag follower was modified?

what I did to several of my 30 round 74 mags to work with 5.56 rounds, was to ground off the 5.45 round profile.  then I took and cut the follower off  the upteen  M16 mags I have and epoxied that onto it.

they work great in my SAR 3 and my SLR106

beats paying the kind of expensive prices for Bulgarian and other foreign made 5.56 mags

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

So the profile of the follower affects the way the rounds stack in the magazine?

The right profile causes the rounds to stack in such a way that they travel freely through the magazine, and the wrong profile causes the rounds to stack in such a way that they wedge against the sides of the magazine?

Is the profile of the follower for a single-stack magazine flat?

Edited by tbryanh

The profile of the follower probably does not affect the way the rounds stack in the magazine.

The profile of the follower probably prevents the round it contacts from making it sit at an angle and wedge with the sides of the magazine. If the profile of the follower was flat, the round contacting the follower would put pressure on one side of the follower causing the follower to sit crooked and wedge with the sides of the magazine.

Edited by tbryanh

The profile of the follower might also affect the way tapered rounds sit when contacting the feed lips. The profile of the follower might ensure that the rounds sit flush with the feed lips even though the rounds are tapered.

Edited by tbryanh
  • 3 weeks later...

The profile of the follower might also affect the way tapered rounds sit when contacting the feed lips. The profile of the follower might ensure that the rounds sit flush with the feed lips even though the rounds are tapered.

Since 5.56 rounds are not tapered, I think it is more correct to say the profile of the follower might also affect the way *non-tapered* rounds sit when contacting the feed lips. The profile of the follower might ensure that the rounds sit flush with the feed lips even though the rounds are *not tapered*.

Also, apparently steel-cased rounds can bind easier in the mag than brass-cased rounds can.

Edited by tbryanh

10 -12 rds of .223 in a 5.45 is not an issue. When you try to load a full 30 rds of .223 in a 5.45 mag,then the feedlips need opened up with a dremel and the follower needs to be replaced with a RA follower. The RA follower allows the .223 rounds to sit higher in the 5,45 mag and it solves the issue. These followers were used when .223 AK mags were in short supply and 30rd  5.45 mags were everywhere for $5ea.   

The followers are difficult to find and the conversions are not worth the effort . 5.45 mags are not $5 anymore.

Back in the day they were a viable option. I have a few that still work .

My Vepr came with one from RA with one that was painted with some textured black paint .