Anyone in here have experience with these short Mossy's that isn't NFA?

Read the PDF's on law and parts. Apparently it has to start with a pistol grip only Mossy (ie never had a stock to begin with).

Tempted to do one for a short shottie.

shortMOSSY_zps0407ff78.jpg

The Shockwave Technologies Raptor grip is supposed to be easier on the wrists than the standard pistol grip due to it not being 90 degrees.

As for the 14" barrel and overall length deal...I probably would want my own letter from the feds before doing it. Could start with a 5 shot 18.5 barrel and see if I like the grip.

Already have a Defender 1300 and a couple S12's. Looking for something short and mean.

• Like 1

Your right on the S12 meanness. Really would like to do an SBS to the unconverted S12. Would be a Lone Star job since he is just up the road. Defiantly a project that I'm going to have to save for.

One thing I'm thinking is a couple hundred dollar Mossy is cheaper to lose if (god forbid) I have to use it for HD. Plus a bit of variety is always good.

Thanks for input Kenny.

Edited by NM0
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a Mossy 500 breacher, which is basically an 18.5" model 590, but with a pistol grip. 

mossy_zps1dcbc595.jpg

With the way the breaching mechanism (which is made as part of the barrel) is back bored, you actually get the ballistics of a 14" barrel. I haven't breached a door in 25 years, and don't plan on doing so anytime soon, but the teeth on it would make a nice "back the fuck off" less than lethal impact surface. 

In regard to the non-NFA mossy, I like it......BUT.....my breacher is only 3/4" to 1" longer overall than it is, and I likely won't have to worry about it being mistaken for an SBS or AOW. I have to admit though, in this configuration, the pistol grip makes this my most unpleasant firearm to shoot.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 1

Pistols used to be very powerful and have that shape of grip in the 1500s. As time moved forward, we abandoned that shape for a reason. You don't see Thompson Contenders having that angle, even though they come in some chamberings that have to be worse than 12 Ga. Ditto the super magnum revolvers.

Also the factory AOWs have grips like the riot model in the post above. Frankly, even with 3" mag, a 6" serbu didn't seem all that bad. I was surprised. A day or so later I was trying to figure out how I had bruised my hand, but I shot a lot of 12 ga from mild to spicy without it being too big a deal. 

• 3 years later...