MKA 1919XN Safety detent

I never liked the feel of the safety my XN model. Sloppy, rough, and not very positive. It seems to have gotten worse after firing the gun a few times. Taking things apart right now, I decided to look up the opening, and found no ball on the screw. When I screwed it all the way out, I found where the ball should be, and I could see the spring, but no ball. Where it is was anybody's guess.

Anyhow, once I found it was a M5 metric thread and measured the length, I got on the McMaster-Carr website and found the Ball Nose Spring Plungers, found the right one, number 3391A66 Steel Metric Ball-Nose Spring Plunger m5x0.8 Thread, 1.8-3.2 lb Nose Force, and order 2. I got them in one day UPS.

The part looked better made then the original. I cleaned up everything, got all the oil, grit, plastic shavings out of anything to do with the safety. Put it back together with a small drop of oil on the surface of the safety were the ball rides. I found the safety much smoother, with a definite clunk as the detent ball engaged the dimple in the safety.

• Like 1

I never liked the feel of the safety my XN model. Sloppy, rough, and not very positive. It seems to have gotten worse after firing the gun a few times. Taking things apart right now, I decided to look up the opening, and found no ball on the screw. When I screwed it all the way out, I found where the ball should be, and I could see the spring, but no ball. Where it is was anybody's guess.

Anyhow, once I found it was a M5 metric thread and measured the length, I got on the McMaster-Carr website and found the Ball Nose Spring Plungers, found the right one, number 3391A66 Steel Metric Ball-Nose Spring Plunger m5x0.8 Thread, 1.8-3.2 lb Nose Force, and order 2. I got them in one day UPS.

The part looked better made then the original. I cleaned up everything, got all the oil, grit, plastic shavings out of anything to do with the safety. Put it back together with a small drop of oil on the surface of the safety were the ball rides. I found the safety much smoother, with a definite clunk as the detent ball engaged the dimple in the safety.

Nice fix. This was probably another case where the Turk's hand fitted the parts with a little too much tolerance.

Usually when we talk about a firearm with hand fit parts, we are talking about a high dollar custom gun. Not so with the MKA 1919.