Arsenal Legion marked STG21-61 for $1000?

So I took a Carbine 101 course and I was the only one there running an AK. I started talking to one of my class mates and he told me he's been considering selling his SGL21-61 to put money together so he can get an AK in .308 .

A few weeks later we started negotiating and it looks like the magic number is $1000. My question is whether or not it's a good deal. The gun purportedly has less than 500 rounds through it and has an Ultimak top rail on it, but he wants to swap that back to the original gas tube and put the ultimak on his ak 74 before he sells it.

The gun has had some work done to it. He said the shepards hook has been upgraded to the arsenal retainer and functions like the Krebs trigger pin. He's had a smith stone up the trigger, hammer, and disconnector to the point that he likes it more than the tapco g2. It has an Israeli magazine release added as well as a hogue pistol grip, but he still has the original kvar that it came with.

The gun is marked legion instead of fime.

So with the above information, does $1,000 sound like a good, or at least fair deal? I'd like to purchase a second AK for a shtf situation, and I'm also of the thought that I want an AK that will last longer than I will. I love my IO but I'd like to have a gun with a better reputation in case I ever needed something I could be more sure of.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Edited by Constantine

The other question is whether my money would be better spent on a cheaper AK rifle. In the world of 800 io/century/m+ms (the M+Ms looking like the best of the three from what I've read), would I be just as well purchasing one of them instead. I'd love to have a military surplus rifle, one with a milled receiver, or one built on a Saiga as my shtf weapon, but I'm not sure how much more reliable they would be than any other AK, considering the legendary reliability of the platform. I also still see deals like this:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1551&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=761

so is it worth $1000 for an AK?

I'm thinking it's a good deal and I should take the stg, but I wanted to get some feedback before putting that kind of money out.

So with the above information, does $1,000 sound like a good, or at least fair deal?

it's a fair deal K-VAR has them for 1199, add in shipping and the transfer fee and it's going to somewhere north above 1250

The other question is whether my money would be better spent on a cheaper AK rifle. In the world of 800 io/century/m+ms (the M+Ms looking like the best of the three from what I've read), would I be just as well purchasing one of them instead.

if you're going to spend money on a AK get a factory built AK like the SGL, the above one is going to be a parts kit gun cobbled together by CENTURY ARMS on a US receiver. and if the advertising is true that these have the original barrels, they won't be chrome lined. the Yugoslavians never did chrome lined their guns.

anyway, that is my advice.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Thank for the input everyone, I got it today...

show him nine benjamins 027.gif

I tried, but be started at $1125 and I came up from $800. It's more than I wanted to spend, but all things considered I think I did all right. As a general rule, if I think I can buy something and easily flip it for more I'll get it regardless of what it is. The SGL definately fits that description in my book, but I don't think I'll be selling it any time soon.

I just figure with it being a solidly built AK rifle by reputation, and with the added desirability factor of the Legion marking, I'd regret not getting it while I can.

So how did the carbine course go? I'm taking one tomorrow and using my Saiga.

The course went well. My IOI showed it can run 400+ rounds in a day. I chose this course over a two day James Jeagar seminar because I knew one of the instructors from a tactical gun shop in town. He's a marine sniper, and the other two instructors were a marine turned private contractor and a special forces guy that led the class.

I was surprised by what I knew. We spent time going over sighting rifles in (mine were ready when I got there) and the concept of bullet rise. They also went over the concept of trigger reset which I was already somewhat familiar with. The speed shooting drills were new to me, and the explanation that the average shooter can place four aimed shots per second, were eye openers... I don't usually practice rapid fire. They also taught us the high and low ready positions which was new to me.

The really cool thing is that they let me record the class, so I have a lot of the drill explanations and applications on video. I'd be curious to hear how yours went... I may be taking another one, AK armorers course, a week from tomorrow...

• Like 1

I own a SGL 21-61 myself, 2009 vintage. I've been offered as much as $2K during the panic and turned it down. With a scope and quality ammo, it can keep up with most off the shelf ARs. Surplus/steel cased stuff lays down minute of man all day long.

Only ran it 400? I've run a Chicom SKS over 3K without cleaning, and have run over 800 Yugo M67 through my SGL in one day without cleaning. Smelled like cat piss after that one....lol. Our Russian girls like it dirty. 000.gif

And, yes, I did clean it after the Yugo stuff. I learned the hard way after ruining a gas tube what not neutralizing the salts is good for.