Permanently Pinning Muzzle Brake For 16" OAL

Hey guys, I finally figured our which "look" I want to go for on my Saiga 7.62 conversion. I want to cut a couple inches off my barrel including the factory fsb and permanently attach a "spikes tactical" or "battle comp" muzzle brake for 16" OAL. I have a couple questions about the process though.

1. Since I will be cutting off the barrel right behind the fsb what are my alternate front sight options? I was thinking either a complete new gas block with an integrated front sight or a "weld on" H&K style front sight to the factory gas block.

2. Will I still be able to cycle the action on most ammo after shortening the barrel or will I be required to move the gas system back?

3. If anyone has any additional help on this process or additional steps to point out then please enlighten me?

4. Anyone done this type of conversion who can post a pic of the finished product?

I think I can answer number 2. If you look at the Amd-65 the gas port is really close to the muzzle. I remember reading somewhere that it's able to cycle because of the special muzzle device they designed for it. It's called a "booster" and I guess it somehow creates enough pressure to cycle it. I'm not too sure if a regular flash hider would work or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRCTrd6NA

First, if you cut the barrel and it's not a SBR'ed item then make sure you do this all in one sitting. As in cutting, crowning, threading, permanently attaching in a method deemed worthy by the BATF all have to be done within a few hours. That is still debatable as to legality...

For the front sight options you could also push the FSB back like I did in that video. New FSB/GB combo, or a good welding job of HK sights on the existing GB are all good options. Whatever you like :)

I've shot 14.5" 5.45's and 7.62 Saiga's that have had no changes to the gas system and they had 0 issues. That being said this is a instance by instance thing. Chances are you'll be fine if you don't go below 14". Below that and you're in 107CR territory and the chances of needing a larger gas hole in the barrel go up as you get closer to 12".

You don't need to shorten the gas system. Even at 12" the gas port in the barrel is in the same location as a 16.5" barrel.

As for additional steps the ideal way is press the barrel out, press off the blocks, cut/crown/thread on a lathe, press blocks back on, perm attach FH, then press back into the receiver. Pretty rare anyone does all that work unless they do it for a living though...

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

4. Anyone done this type of conversion who can post a pic of the finished product?

I think you're looking for something like the Krebs 104k or 103ks. The proportions look perfect with the permanent brake.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/krebs-custom-ak-104k-carbine-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/krebs-custom-103ks-7-62x39-side-folding-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I've done 8 conversions at this point and 3 I cut the barrel shorter so the overall is 16.25"

1 I did I used the Krebs gas block/sight, threaded the barrel and done.

another I bored out the old 74 fsb and moved it back so the 74 flash hider was 16/25" blind pinned and welded over.

other I used a 47 fsb bored, pressed and pinned. threaded and welded brake.

next one will be with a hk cut sight and welded. the hard part will be moving the gas block side to side so the impact will be matching the sight. I have found the fsb isn't the only thing that isn't perfect on ak's.

I think you're looking for something like the Krebs 104k or 103ks. The proportions look perfect with the permanent brake.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/krebs-custom-ak-104k-carbine-detail.html?Itemid=0

That krebs 104K rifle looks sick! The AK74 muzzle brake looks pretty cool as well, but definitely digging that look regardless of which muzzle brake.

What all options are available for integrated gas/sight block combo that will fit Saiga barrels? I am aware of Krebs and Venom tactical which is a bolt on piece. Are their more options available?

Edited by lsxevo