Don't know about the 5.45. I own a SAR-1 and a SAR-3 and both are keepers in my collection. I would not hesitate to purchase it IF the price was fair, and I could find ammo for it. Good luck on your journey, and it never hurts to own as many politically incorrect firearms as possible. In my view, we are simply in another lull between the next "crisis" before another wave of panic sets in.

Be safe,

I would say it is a really bad time to be purchasing firearms. Demand and prices are high and selection is low. That gun I would suspect would be in the $350 - $500 range with $500.00 being on the high side. How many mags come with it? It really boils down to how much you want it, and what else is available at that price point. I know it tough, but never get in a hurry.

Be safe,

Edited by yakdung

Ya I saw that earlier today. The one I saw only comes with 2 mags. 550 is the out the door price. Ya no joke. My town is filled with gunshops. And not a single one has a cheap saiga or many AKs in general. I remember when they were filled with nothing but saigas...other AKs and AR15s at a decent price. Now they're just filled with bolt guns and way overpriced AR15s. They do have other exotics.... But waaayyy overpriced. In fact the only AKs i was able to find out of 7 gunshops were A FEG amd65, an sar-2, a single stack Pap, and a 900 dollar wasr

Edited by Yugopap4me

In my view, I would not purchase any firearm unless I could lay my paws on it in this market. This is a time when folks could possibly get burned with guns having issues. Go the gun-show or brick and mortar route.

Be safe,

Ya I was going to go the brick and mortar route but I ended getting scammed from day 1. Marshhawkarms AKA "AK47.org" took my money over 3 months ago for a 80% receiver and some rivets and since then they havnt responded to any attempts to contact them. Since then I've been wanting to just buy a complete rifle since I'm sure the web is full of parts scammers like AK47.org

Be careful a lot of "gun experts" are all over the Internet. I also find a lot of these "experts" at gun-shows as well. The link to the resource below, should clear things up. One of the first sites on the Net I would frequent before I acquired a Saiga.

http://www.ak-47.net/ak-47/sar-1.php

Be safe,

The SAR Series rifles were in my opinion a nice grade of AK. The furniture was solid wood with most being beautiful.

This is from a guy that remembers when they hit the market and were considered the bottom of the barrel in the venue of AK's.

Then the WASR's hit. LOL

• Like 1

Another question I have about SARs. I've seen more than person say that theyre made from the rejected out of spec parts of several factories. There's no way that can be true right? Just an Internet rumor maybe?

Rejected parts don't make it out of an arsenal. They're melted back down and re-cast. This is just another weird myth surrounding the Romanian-made firearms.

The SAR-2 rifles are manufactured from a combination of new parts and military surplus parts. Most are new and matching parts, but you may occasionally see one made from a surplus Romanian AIMS-74 - in this case you will see the armory proof mark and datecode/serial on the front trunnion. All are modified/demilled for legal export to the US - e.g. threads removed from FSB, bayonet lugs removed, etc.

If the parts are serial-scrubbed or new, you will likely have a dot-matrix digital datecode and serial printed on the front trunnion, with no armory mark, ending with the 20xx-RO datecode/country designation.

They almost exclusively come from the same factory, Cugir State Armory. Some were made in Sadu - these will have a square in the front trunnion rather than a triangle proof mark. I'm not a super expert on these but I have NEVER seen one with the Sadu armory mark, either online or in person. The majority of all Romanian-made arms are manufactured at Cugir.

The SAR-2 is a great AK-74 variant that is somewhat collectible. They were a lot better deal when you could get them for $200 and then add back the correct 22mm threaded FSB and 22mm AK-74 type muzzle device.. Most have enough meat on the muzzle to thread them for 1/2x28RH if you do not want to source and install the unique Romanian threaded FSB.

CNC Warrior makes an AK-74 muzzle device that is threaded for 22mm, but it's not 100% identical to the Romanian piece.

Edited by mancat