Folks. Lets leave the psychological exams to the experts . The shit is getting pretty deep around here. On second thought we seem to have a wide range of experts floating around here from nuclear physicists to navy seal snipers . Frankly if someone here doesn't cure cancer I will be shocked.

Funny you should mention that...I am currently working on an elixor that will cure dandruff, ease the pain of sunburns and mosquito bites and help with bad breath,,,,OH WAIT...that would be Listerine! Oh crap..back to the drawing board.eyes_droped.gif

I passed on the opportunity to become a Navy Seal and Nuclear Physicist so that I could devote all my time pondering a cure for cancer (while sipping a "cold one" on the front porch). Does that count? :)

Edited by Sim_Player
  • 2 months later...

WoW! Great news, man. You just locked in a future with benefits, even though it can be a shitty job sometimes (can't any?). Pretty damned hard to get canned from that gig unless you fuck it up. 

• Like 2

Thank you everybody!

Here's a funny lil story about it.

2 weeks ago I get a letter from Corrections, a bad one . It said thanks but no thanks. I call the HR person and she informed me I didn't get the job because I had too many DUIs to close together. I told her I only had 1 from 07 and they knew about it so what's the deal...

Back in 08 me and my neighbor rode our motorcycles to the bar and parked in the handicap spot and we both got tickets, we both went to court and paid. Turns out the court fucked everything up and lumped us both together as 1 person! All my crap is on his record and all his stuff (DUI from 09) is on mine.

I spent the next week going to the Department of Transportation, The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and my County court trying to get this all sorted out. The court realized what happened, fixed it and gave me some paperwork to prove it. I brought that to Corrections HR and they overturned their decision and offered me the job yesterday.

What a hassle!

• Like 2

Finding a good job in this economy is a real challenge.  You did great.  You can handle anything they throw at you by dealing with it one day at a time. Perseverance is the key.   Taking the initiative to contact HR and go through the hassle of getting the record straightened out demonstrated you were serious about getting that job.  It paid off.  Good for you!

LOL And now you'll be a government employee and have you own opportunities to fuck up somebody's paperwork. HA!

Lol

Hopefully not

Finding a good job in this economy is a real challenge.  You did great.  You can handle anything they throw at you by dealing with it one day at a time. Perseverance is the key.   Taking the initiative to contact HR and go through the hassle of getting the record straightened out demonstrated you were serious about getting that job.  It paid off.  Good for you!

Wow man thank you for the kind words

I did it for a couple years. The good pay doesnt apply in georgia thats for sure. I started at 24k a year. I graduated with the highest academic grade in training but that wasnt saying much. I'm saying the fellow cadets were not the cream of the crop. The benefits also sucked here in georgia. I ended up applying at a county got that job then got laid off. I didnt want to go straight back to the prison so I looked else where. Got back into manufacturing this time medical polymer instead of just plain old polyvinyl chloride or pvc. Well I currently make 2.5 times what I did as a CO and have GREAT benefits. I work for the largest medical device company in the world and make the raw materials for 80% of the US's absorbable sutures. Im very glad I worked as a CO to see what it was like. I enjoyed it very much but the pay was horrible. If I could make what I do now and do it id be there.

My advice to you is dont take shit form anyone but always be respectful. Treat all inmates the same. Dont do anything for one you wouldnt do for all. Dont talk about your personal life even to other COs unless your absolutely sure no inmates are around. And anyone will agree with this, after 6-8 months you'll reach a point where you start to see the light, you'll start to see them as human scum, you'll feel bad because there will be certain individuals that could die and it would make you happy to not to have to deal with them. Its not natural to feel like that about another human, if a CO Isn't going to make it, it will be at this point they quit. If you make it to this point and still are ok You'll be fine. The divorce rate is very high for COs your an asshole all day and keep your emotions all bottled up at work and either stay that way at home or drown it all in the bottle. Its stressful and you start to judge people quickly since that's required at work, because of this you start to only see the bad in people, and not just inmates.

If you are stable mentally you'll do fine. Also in Georgia, especially at the facility I was at it was not at all by the book. Ill say this its not easy for a inmate in Georgia especially one that is hostile toward staff. I've seen some fucked up shit. But I felt they all deserved what they got. And whats crazy most inmates knew if they did something to a staff member it meant an ass whooping and they were all ok with it.

• Like 1

All good points, Monty. Brief, but good.

I suppose pay and benies are depend on location. I've always been a bit surprised that it is one of the lowest job turn-overs. Nobody ever really "quits" just because the don't like it. There always seems to be an advantage for someone to leave the job. In 23 years I've only seen a couple time where someone quit so they could be a truck driver or wanted to work on a farm, etc. I've seen plenty of people leave to be Troopers, DEC officers, Counselors...

I also started for $24K (back in 1990).

I did it for a couple years. The good pay doesnt apply in georgia thats for sure. I started at 24k a year. I graduated with the highest academic grade in training but that wasnt saying much. I'm saying the fellow cadets were not the cream of the crop. The benefits also sucked here in georgia. I ended up applying at a county got that job then got laid off. I didnt want to go straight back to the prison so I looked else where. Got back into manufacturing this time medical polymer instead of just plain old polyvinyl chloride or pvc. Well I currently make 2.5 times what I did as a CO and have GREAT benefits. I work for the largest medical device company in the world and make the raw materials for 80% of the US's absorbable sutures. Im very glad I worked as a CO to see what it was like. I enjoyed it very much but the pay was horrible. If I could make what I do now and do it id be there.

My advice to you is dont take shit form anyone but always be respectful. Treat all inmates the same. Dont do anything for one you wouldnt do for all. Dont talk about your personal life even to other COs unless your absolutely sure no inmates are around. And anyone will agree with this, after 6-8 months you'll reach a point where you start to see the light, you'll start to see them as human scum, you'll feel bad because there will be certain individuals that could die and it would make you happy to not to have to deal with them. Its not natural to feel like that about another human, if a CO Isn't going to make it, it will be at this point they quit. If you make it to this point and still are ok You'll be fine. The divorce rate is very high for COs your an asshole all day and keep your emotions all bottled up at work and either stay that way at home or drown it all in the bottle. Its stressful and you start to judge people quickly since that's required at work, because of this you start to only see the bad in people, and not just inmates.

If you are stable mentally you'll do fine. Also in Georgia, especially at the facility I was at it was not at all by the book. Ill say this its not easy for a inmate in Georgia especially one that is hostile toward staff. I've seen some fucked up shit. But I felt they all deserved what they got. And whats crazy most inmates knew if they did something to a staff member it meant an ass whooping and they were all ok with it.

I've heard similar from people who worked the job. Some people love it and some just hate it.

I've jumped through so many damn hoops just to get the job, I'm going to do my best and at least try to make it through 2 years. Who knows I may just love it and retire with it. I'm in my early 30s, not a spring chicken anymore. It's my only chance to get into "law enforcement" around here as I don't have a degree. After a few years I might be able to jump into Trooper before I'm 36. That's my goal.

I always knew I'd end up in prison!

I just have to wait until Feb to start training. In the mean time I'm going to start working out more, and stay out of trouble and try and save up some cash. Next week I have an interview at Coca-Cola as a merchandiser.

Edited by GREYLUPO
  • Like 1

Good luck on the job brother. 15 years under my belt, I've had some good times and still do, but had a nut bag mutt try to rip my eyes outta my face also.( Long story that I wont discuss). So remember don't let your guard down shit can and does go south in a heartbeat!!! Another biggie...leave your feelings at the gate...both ways. Don't bring your home to work and your work home!!! Also remember..you don't know shit...so listen to what others tell you and never say its not my job. You are a new jack, do what is told of you and ask questions if you don't know or are unsure. The dumbest question is the one you don't ask!!  Alot of other guys have said a lot of good things before me in here and I hope you take heed of their advice. All the best to you.  

Edited by sgt1146
  • Like 1

And even if you've done a certain job a hundred times and someone offers you advice don't ever say "I got this". Listen to them and say thanks. Be ready to see a lot of naked inmates (strip frisks) and poke through feces (contraband watches). Don't shit talk other officers even if whoever you're talkin to agrees, I've seen a bunch of this and it's just childish. I just transferred home and an officer I knew 20 years ago (we used to fight a lot) decided to motherfuck me behind my back. Unfortunately he did this to some officers that knew me and he wound up looking pretty foolish and unprofessional. You get a problem with someone (and you probably will) take it up with them, away from the inmates. Like everyone else said- ask questions. You're gonna meet officers that aren't too friendly to us green CO's, ask them questions too, if they give you a hard time ask them again. Cover your own ass when something questionable happens but don't ever, ever be a rat. I got alittle more than a year on and it does get easier and people get friendlier, you gotta give em time to feel you out and see what kind of officer you are. Good luck and be safe!

• Like 2

Cover your own ass when something questionable happens but don't ever, ever be a rat. 

This^ and that is much harder than it sounds. When some shit goes down thats questionable try your hardest to distance yourself from it. If your name isnt in the statements then you don't have to answer hard questions.

Cover your own ass when something questionable happens but don't ever, ever be a rat. 

This^ and that is much harder than it sounds. When some shit goes down thats questionable try your hardest to distance yourself from it. If your name isnt in the statements then you don't have to answer hard questions.

This is a much better way to explain it! Thank you.

Very good points but if you are truly involved in something like Monty said don't try to get out of it. You may not realize you have been injured or things don't quite match up to other peoples recollections of the incident. This can get you suspended or even fired. If you make a written statement you STAND AND DIE with that statement especially with others involved. This last point I am going to make is because I am a Sergeant. If you fuck up you better man up!!! Don't lie to or try to fuck a supervisor because our main job is to help you keep yours. Use your head and let common sense rule, if you wood shower a guy or use force on him own up to it. So much easier than trying to get out of it, evidence may get you. Oh and never run away from an incident especially if other Officers are involved. Good way to lose all respect and trust from everyone around you and it will become a lonely life for you. Gotta go and do my tour in hell. Peace!

Edited by sgt1146

Congrats and good luck. I had some buds try talking me into Corrections years ago, already had MP and Deputy experience. At the time I had some pretty bad anger issues and just wanted to leave be and be left alone. So didn't go that way. You've gotten some good advice here. "Heed this and it shall serve you well."

Again good luck and stay safe.