Survey: SGM Tactical Vepr 12 Mags (go/ no-go?)

So I'm thinking about investing in a Vepr 12 for 3 gun, but have heard mixed feelings about the aftermarket SGM Tactical Magazines (10 and 12 rd'ers). For those w/ experience with them, are they good/ reliable/ worth buying? Or am I just better off buying the factory Russian 8rd mags? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have had no problems with the smg's with higher power loads. For the cheep stuff I get FTE alot and never have any problems with the mag that came with the gun with any loads. If I took the smg's apart and dry lubed them I bet they would feed the cheep stuff fine. I just don't use cheep stuff so its not worth the effort to dismantle them. When its time to clean them I will do it.

I've tested 4 10 rounders with high and low brass. Out of 300+ rounds I only got 2 FTE out of the low brass federal bulk pack, but I had the stock folded and was only supporting the gun with my hands, so I don't blame the mags. I've only had 2 issues with the LRBHO not working on them with the low brass, but my factory 5 rounder has never activated the LRBHO with low brass for some reason. I have not had one single issue with that on my factory 8's.

• Like 1

It's very encouraging to see that things sound really positive. I've been doing a lot of research and between the comments here, the review from Tim at Military arms Channel, plouffedaddy's youtube video, and calling around to various distributors it seems that these mags are good to go, especially since I'm not doing anything serious with it (just 3 gun). Needless to say, I'll be placing an order for my Vepr 12 by the end of the week. Thanks for all the help guys!

I keep two factory 5 rounders loaded with 00 in the safe for home defense. I purchased 10 12-round SGMs when I first bought by V12 and have used 5 and the other 5 are still wrapped up. Of those 5 all have worked flawlessly. The only reason I don't use them for home defense is that they are too long to keep conveniently stored and accessible in the gun safe. Purchase with confidence. Once the Russian 8-rounders and 10-rounders come down to a reasonable price, I will probably buy a few of those. By far the V12 is my favorite weapon to shoot. The SGMs have fed all types of ammo flawlessly.

I keep two factory 5 rounders loaded with 00 in the safe for home defense. I purchased 10 12-round SGMs when I first bought by V12 and have used 5 and the other 5 are still wrapped up. Of those 5 all have worked flawlessly. The only reason I don't use them for home defense is that they are too long to keep conveniently stored and accessible in the gun safe. Purchase with confidence. Once the Russian 8-rounders and 10-rounders come down to a reasonable price, I will probably buy a few of those. By far the V12 is my favorite weapon to shoot. The SGMs have fed all types of ammo flawlessly.

Someone was listening...

5 pack of Molot 8-rounders at Legion USA comes to $74 per mag... Killer deal!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 SGM 8 rounders and I've sanded, adjusted, sanded some more and spent hours getting it to where I can change the mag and slide it up the magwell easily like the factory mags and it still only does it correctly maybe 1 in 4 times. The 4 5 round and 4 8 round factory mags I have work flawless without touching them.

I'm to the point that I'll pay 75$ per mag NOT to have to deal with this shit.

Mine have worked awesomely also. I have three factory five rounders and five twn round SGM mags and i have had perfect function from both. I too keep a factory five for home defense loaded, but for the same reason as stated above. I would trust a SGM if it were what i grabbed without hesitation also.

I have 2 SGM 8 rounders and I've sanded, adjusted, sanded some more and spent hours getting it to where I can change the mag and slide it up the magwell easily like the factory mags and it still only does it correctly maybe 1 in 4 times. The 4 5 round and 4 8 round factory mags I have work flawless without touching them.

Perhaps you should have capitalized on their warranty prior to modifying the mag, and prior to writing negative shit about their product without giving them a chance to make it right.

Surveys here are pretty skewed. If you have an experience that contradict's other's perspectives and are honest about it, you may very well end up being berated. This changes behaviors over time as participants being to self regulate, hence you end up with a result that is biased in favor of commerce and advertisers on the site.

Edited by ec4321
  • Like 1

Surveys here are pretty skewed. If you have an experience that contradict's other's perspectives and are honest about it, you may very well end up being berated. This changes behaviors over time as participants being to self regulate, hence you end up with a result that is biased in favor of commerce and advertisers on the site.

I think this depends on the product, and how the negative feedback is presented. If more people would take time to contact the business members prior to ranting and making shit posts about their products and services, then many here wouldnt get berated. With that said, anything mass produced can and will have issues. Its how the manufacturer handles shit with the end user that makes the difference.

Ive had issues in the past with one of my SGM mags, but I contacted them, and they made it right. They stood behind their product.

Perhaps you should have capitalized on their warranty prior to modifying the mag, and prior to writing negative shit about their product without giving them a chance to make it right.

The concensus (how many threads were there on this??) before buying them was that there is a good chance you will have to mess with them a bit to get them to run because they were made to a certain spec/size and the VEPR's varied here a bit in the magwell area.

That's fine, I can handle that; I've had a Saiga 12, I know how this game goes.

So I am expecting them NOT to fit my stock VEPR when I get them and that was pretty much the case when I got them, so warranty doesn't really work here as there's really nothing 'wrong' that they can fix. I was told, and expcted them not to fit properly. Not like the mag broke in half or something.

So exactly how do you give them a chance? Their shit doesn't fit. I was expecting it not to without some modification. Oh well. Nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't fit.

However, the amount of modification needed to get them to even work halfassed in a stock, factory, unmessed with rifle is rediculous and I am sure that if I was sent 2 more, I'd have the same result. If I didn't we'd have an even bigger problem as then their mags would be different spec sizes.

Hey, if they want to refund me the money for these two, great. I really didn't care as this was a bit of a research project to see if I can get around factory mags and their pricing.

SGM, thanks for the offer. I messed with them and knew what I was getting into, hence why I didn't contact you with some BS sob story trying to get my money back after I sanded the shit out of them and still cannot get them to work properly.

Edited by TheGerman

The concensus (how many threads were there on this??) before buying them was that there is a good chance you will have to mess with them a bit to get them to run because they were made to a certain spec/size and the VEPR's varied here a bit in the magwell area.

That's fine, I can handle that; I've had a Saiga 12, I know how this game goes.

So I am expecting them NOT to fit my stock VEPR when I get them and that was pretty much the case when I got them, so warranty doesn't really work here as there's really nothing 'wrong' that they can fix. I was told, and expcted them not to fit properly. Not like the mag broke in half or something.

So exactly how do you give them a chance? Their shit doesn't fit. I was expecting it not to without some modification. Oh well. Nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't fit.

However, the amount of modification needed to get them to even work halfassed in a stock, factory, unmessed with rifle is rediculous and I am sure that if I was sent 2 more, I'd have the same result. If I didn't we'd have an even bigger problem as then their mags would be different spec sizes.

Hey, if they want to refund me the money for these two, great. I really didn't care as this was a bit of a research project to see if I can get around factory mags and their pricing.

SGM, thanks for the offer. I messed with them and knew what I was getting into, hence why I didn't contact you with some BS sob story trying to get my money back after I sanded the shit out of them and still cannot get them to work properly.

The mags they had from the first molds were somewhat problematic.

• 2 weeks later...

No go, have 4 from a later batch and 2 from orginal batch, all of them don't feed properly. Shells get caught up at the top, I'll probably try sanding them. Fit is awful have to pound these things in, bolt hold doesn't work on a any of them with heavy or light loads. My factory 5 works fine, feeds fine and fits fine, will be picking up over priced factory 8s.

Factory mags are the best, but they are limited to 8 rounds.

And stay away from Factory 10-rounds mags, they are ugly bastards made from two 8-rounds mags.

on the topic of factory molot arms 10-round mags, they were a hit or miss for me, so i made sure the shipper tested the mag by filling all 10 rounds before shipping. i tested the molot arms 10 round while shooting clay and it functioned flawlessly. PZ mentioned the real molot factory will offer real 10 rounders in the future, no specific date...

No go, have 4 from a later batch and 2 from orginal batch, all of them don't feed properly. Shells get caught up at the top, I'll probably try sanding them. Fit is awful have to pound these things in, bolt hold doesn't work on a any of them with heavy or light loads. My factory 5 works fine, feeds fine and fits fine, will be picking up over priced factory 8s.

please read the warranty guidelines for the mags before sanding. you may need to call SGM first and have them swapped out.