If your record is clean like you say (you've never been denied on any other 4473) and your state allows the ownership of what you want, then you are gtg. One hang up, if filing as an "individual" might be your CLEO signing off on your paperwork. In that case, form a trust and you can bypass that step.

Do it!

Well I was reading up on sbr rules on the ATF website and the other forum that shall not be named and they gave some basic info. But I don't recall seeing anything about a 4473 and the "individual" thing has me a little confused. I don't even have a unpaid parking ticket or any misdemeanors and I live in the heart of Texas. So I don't think an sbr would be an issue. I just don't know anything about the most painless and efficient way to do it

Sorry, you fill out a 4473 every time you buy a gun from an FFL. If you have never been denied there, you won't have any problem.

On the "individual" or "trust" route, you need to decide how the NFA item will be registered. I have always gone the individual route as I don't have a wife or kids that want access to the items. Also, my CLEO is super cool about signing anything. So, others here can fill you in on how/why you might want to go the trust route but I do know that after you set up your trust anyone named on the trust can legally take the item out and use it and you don't need a CLEO signoff. Also, I think you can skip the fingerprints with a trust, but don't quote me on that.

If you go the way of the trust, name it something short. These things are addicting and sooner or later you will want to build your own SBR or SBS on a Form 1 and in doing so you will need to engrave it with your info. Having a long trust name, or long regular name for that matter, looks like shit once its permenantly imprinted on your new precious.

BTW, whatcha gettin'?

Edited by sunnybean

Ok. Well i do have a wife and kids... But none would want accsess to an sbr anytime soon. My kids arnt even passed the age of 5. So would grandfathering come into play at some point in this decision? Ok ya I've had about a dozen guns transferred to me on a 4473 then. But Im really thinking about SBRing a amd65 because I hear it's the easiest AK out of box to SBR

If you build your own, then you will use a Form 1 and, even though the receiver with have the original manufacturers info engraved on it you will need to engrave you name, city and state into it. Although expensive, a Arsenal 107CR or 107UR is the easiest way to build a kick ass SBR on your own.

As for grandfathering, when you pass you can do a one time free transfer to an heir. This is done on a Form 5. But, think long term. If you want your kids to end up with it, then the trust route with them in it might be best/easiest.

Ok well I have 2 girls so I don't know how interested they will be in firearms in the future. So I think a form 1 sounds the way to go for now. I just dont know how my local cleo feels about SBRs etc. Ya I was really eyeing a sam7k with the flashlight on the forearm for awhile. But there's no way my wife would let me get away with a purchase like that unless i got a raise haha. But I guess I could save up

Edited by Yugopap4me

I was really eyeing a sam7k with the flashlight on the forearm for awhile. But there's no way my wife would let me get away with a purchase like that unless i got a raise haha. But I guess I could save up

she has got to have one of these stick family decal on her car biggrin.png

married.jpg

when you pass you can do a one time free transfer to an heir. This is done on a Form 5. But, think long term. If you want your kids to end up with it, then the trust route with them in it might be best/easiest.

they still would need to file a form 5, regardless if it was done on a trust.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins