did some shooting with the svd tiger

went out shooting yesterday with HILLJACK from http://dragunov.us/ he brought out his ndm in .308 as well as his tiger. i brought out my tiger (the one in wood) also decided to take out the deuce for some RR. the bed makes an excellent shooting platform.

heres some pics.

post-21427-0-32455700-1376411649_thumb.jpg

post-21427-0-58457300-1376411662_thumb.jpg

post-21427-0-47120500-1376411678_thumb.jpg

post-21427-0-54283600-1376411692_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

i used a hodgepodge of different ammo that day. started out with some new production yugo ammo. then went to some 1948 yellow tipped ammo. after that shot some 1980's bulgarian light ball. then tried out some wolf light ball.

we where shooting at about 200-250 yrds. main target was a heavy steel pop up plate (18") that hilljack brought. worst ammo was the 1948 yellow tipped crap. best ammo was the 1980's bulgarian steel cased light ball.

ive noticed that when shooting heavier ammo through the tiger i hit higher than with light ball. not sure why that is. had to drop the sights down a bit with those rounds. i was very surprised at how accurate the bulgarian stuff was. i rang that plate without even trying with those.

the 1948 stuff was all over the place. but im not surprised considering how old it was. the yugo ammo shot well. but high. and the wolf was about average.

i stripped the rifle down to bare bowns and gave it a thorough cleaning and lubing. especially after dumping all that corrosive ammo through it.

any way, i will say this. i dont care what anyone says about accuracy between a psl and a tiger. ive shot both. alot. im sure there are some very accurate psl's out there but they dont even begin to compare in my opinion (whatever thats worth.)

in short im extremely happy i gave up the psl and moved on to the tiger.

Edited by Guest

Very nice trio :)

Has the one in the middle got a POSP 8x42 scope?, if it is has it got the elevation turret set up as a BDC for 7.62x54r?...reason I ask is I have got the settings for it if you need them.

My SVDS doesn't like the heavy ball stuff,iirc they were designed to shot 150gr light ball (some nice 7n1 if you can get it).

I love mine and would sooner shave my eyeballs than ever part with it.One thing I can't praise enough is the Russian bipod that clamps to the receiver, I'd recommend one if you can find one.

Edited by UKAK

Very nice trio smile.png

Has the one in the middle got a POSP 8x42 scope?, if it is has it got the elevation turret set up as a BDC for 7.62x54r?...reason I ask is I have got the settings for it if you need them.

My SVDS doesn't like the heavy ball stuff,iirc they were designed to shot 150gr light ball (some nice 7n1 if you can get it).

I love mine and would sooner shave my eyeballs than ever part with it.One thing I can't praise enough is the Russian bipod that clamps to the receiver, I'd recommend one if you can find one.

the one in the middle belongs to hilljack (mines in wood) the scope is a 6x and is set up just right (i shot it a few times)

bipod is next on the list. it probablyy will be the chinese version as the russian ones are crazy expensive. i know the chinese ones work very well as we had a couple out that day.

If that yellow tipped stuff was the same as mine, it was a heavy ball ammo that the Hungarians had for the PKM.

At least that's what I got off 7.62x54r dot net

i believe you are correct. it was brass cased. does that sound right? it wasnt really yellow paint like ive seen more of a clear yellow laquer.

rusmilitary.com in the UK has genuine made in Russia bipods for approx $310 + shipping, and thats the correct receiver mounted type.

attachicon.gifF2104.jpeg

attachicon.gifDSC_0153.jpg

I can get a chinese one for $40.00 free shipping. its also the reciever mount type. i was hesitent about buying one. but after personaly trying one out (thanks to hilljack) im sold. rock solid steel construction. fits perfectly. whats not to like? yes i realize its not russian but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

the one i used worked perfectly after a long range day with lots of shooting. its solid and well built. i had no problems with the legs staying in place.

and yes you are lucky that yours came with one.

p.s. is your tiger semi or pull back only?

Edited by Guest

Very nice trio smile.png

the one in the middle belongs to hilljack (mines in wood) the scope is a 6x and is set up just right (i shot it a few times)

bipod is next on the list. it probablyy will be the chinese version as the russian ones are crazy expensive. i know the chinese ones work very well as we had a couple out that day.

If that yellow tipped stuff was the same as mine, it was a heavy ball ammo that the Hungarians had for the PKM.

At least that's what I got off 7.62x54r dot net

i believe you are correct. it was brass cased. does that sound right? it wasnt really yellow paint like ive seen more of a clear yellow laquer.

Yup brass cased, I had bought two tins of it at the local gun store. Stuff kicked like a mule though my M44....and I liked it :)

Sad part is the cost was $39 a tin and this goofy 7N1 stuff for $60 a tin. No I didn't buy a tin of 7N1 just a couple boxes

i have some 7n1. to this day still have not shot it. (only have 1 pack) ive found the most accurate ammo for me has been the czech silver tip. i bought a tin awhile back and havent seen anymore.

the one i used worked perfectly after a long range day with lots of shooting. its solid and well built. i had no problems with the legs staying in place.

and yes you are lucky that yours came with one.

p.s. is your tiger semi or pull back only?

Straight pull single shot only due to UK law :(, no mag capacity issues though.Weird thing is we can own a semi auto slug gun with drum mags legally but no semi auto rifles over .22lr

Looks like its good to go on the bipod,I might look at one myself as a spare :)

I can't find any 7n1 here in the UK, how common is it in the States?

Edited by UKAK

7n1 isnt really common here. a bunch came in. then it was snatched up real quick. when you do find it for sale the price is usually rediculous.

that sucks about your tiger only being a single shot. guess were the lucky ones here.

also only some states have mag capacity issues.i live in new mexico (yes thats a u.s state lol) no mag laws here.

As with AKs they don't do a lot to disable the gas system, it wouldnt take much if the SHTF ever ;)

basicly just no hole drilled. correct?

Thats about it, and a blank piece instead of a gas piston.

I've ordered one of those Chinese bipods as a spare by the way :)

Edited by UKAK

As with AKs they don't do a lot to disable the gas system, it wouldnt take much if the SHTF ever wink.png

I've ordered one of those Chinese bipods as a spare by the way smile.png

? you have a pic?

I can get a chinese one for $40.00 free shipping. its also the reciever mount type. i was hesitent about buying one. but after personaly trying one out (thanks to hilljack) im sold. rock solid steel construction. fits perfectly. whats not to like? yes i realize its not russian but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Can you PM me a link so I can get a $40 variant? Thanks

As with AKs they don't do a lot to disable the gas system, it wouldnt take much if the SHTF ever ;)

? you have a pic?
This is the bolt carrier out of my Saiga MK/AK-104,instead of a gas piston there is a steel blank in the end that acts as a guide.It is screwed in and pinned exactly the same way as a gas piston would be.My Cugir AKM has what is essentially a gas piston with the head cut off and a piece of cylindrical steel pinned on the end to act as a guide in the gas tube,again it is screwed in and pinned exactly as a gas piston would be.

post-44524-0-51647300-1376846308_thumb.jpg

As with AKs they don't do a lot to disable the gas system, it wouldnt take much if the SHTF ever wink.png

I've ordered one of those Chinese bipods as a spare by the way smile.png

? you have a pic?
This is the bolt carrier out of my Saiga MK/AK-104,instead of a gas piston there is a steel blank in the end that acts as a guide.It is screwed in and pinned exactly the same way as a gas piston would be.My Cugir AKM has what is essentially a gas piston with the head cut off and a piece of cylindrical steel pinned on the end to act as a guide in the gas tube,again it is screwed in and pinned exactly as a gas piston would be.

attachicon.gifDSC_0154.jpg

so...do you have access to a real piston? how is the svd one set up?

Edited by Guest

? you have a pic?
This is the bolt carrier out of my Saiga MK/AK-104,instead of a gas piston there is a steel blank in the end that acts as a guide.It is screwed in and pinned exactly the same way as a gas piston would be.My Cugir AKM has what is essentially a gas piston with the head cut off and a piece of cylindrical steel pinned on the end to act as a guide in the gas tube,again it is screwed in and pinned exactly as a gas piston would be.attachicon.gifDSC_0154.jpg

so...do you have access to a real piston? how is the svd one set up?

The SVDS has no piston etc at all fitted

The bipod arrived today from China and i have to say i'm very impressed, especially for the price!.The quality is on par with my Russian one and if anything the Chinese one isn't as sloppy (although my Russian one is used it hasn't been used a lot).The one i ordered was the all steel version (i believe some have aluminum clamps not steel) and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to other Tigr/SVD owners.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed mine the other day.

Looking good smile.png

I wonder if these two will breed? wink.png

attachicon.gifDSC_0167.jpg

Yours?

yes indeed.i couldn't help my self, it was telling me to buy it!.On the lookout for wood furniture now,got handguards so just need a stock........and another scope, more mags etc etc!!!

Edited by UKAK