There was talk of this some time ago. While Im glad to see his name on our beloved AK-patterns, im sad to see the old name go. I have an Izhmash Mosin. The factory has 200+ years of history under that name. Izhmash rifles have fought in countless wars, virtually everywhere. As much as Kalishnikov did for Russia, and us his american fan boys, the Izhmash plant has a tradition of timelessly serving the Russian people behind it. Kinda sad to see it go.

• Like 1

I kinda like the old name better. More history and less branding.

How much more historical can you get with the guy's name on the weapon he designed? I don't think it is branding either, it's his damn weapon!

• Like 1

That's too bad. The arsenal at Izhmash dates back to the days of the Tsars. I could also see this potentially causing them import problems, or at least issues in states with an AW ban that mentions "kalashnikov" rifles by name, where stock Saigas are currently legal.

• Like 2

I realize the arsenal has existed before MK's days but they are no longer making 91/30s either. They are cranking out his design. ETA, the BATFE always classifies a Kalashnikov as a type, meaning the design, not the name. Take off the foil man!

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

Avtomat Kalashnikov wasn't enough? A lot more than one guy helped to develop the firearm, and the place was around a lot longer than him.

How many military issued firearms are named for the head designer? I can only think of a few off the top of my head: m1 garand, browning automatic rifle, Thompson submachine gun, chauchat, nambu.. That alone seems like plenty of honor.

Avtomat Kalashnikov wasn't enough? A lot more than one guy helped to develop the firearm, and the place was around a lot longer than him.

How many military issued firearms are named for the head designer? I can only think of a few off the top of my head: m1 garand, browning automatic rifle, Thompson submachine gun, chauchat, nambu.. That alone seems like plenty of honor.

I could care less, but I've been wanting to see his name on a regular receiver for a while now. Maybe we will see that now.

Look at the bright fellas. Every Saiga just became collectable since you can't get them now. That makes me happy, happy, happy. I'd buy what you can with Saiga on it just as an investment. Think prices are stupid on them now, just wait until the other AK communities realize they can't Saiga anymore. Prices will go up because the guys that figured they could get one when ever they wanted will go into, I have to get one now since they are no longer imported.

I'm sure this has more to do with Izhmash's looming bankruptcy and bailout. Things happen like that everywhere, not just in the US.

I'm really curious. How does a company like Izhmash go bankrupt when they are apparently State/Government run? How can this be possible? Wouldn't it be like the EPA going bankrupt here?

I'm sure this has more to do with Izhmash's looming bankruptcy and bailout. Things happen like that everywhere, not just in the US.

I'm really curious. How does a company like Izhmash go bankrupt when they are apparently State/Government run? How can this be possible? Wouldn't it be like the EPA going bankrupt here?

Politics, man. Politics. what.gif

• Like 1

I realize the arsenal has existed before MK's days but they are no longer making 91/30s either.

Yeah, now you gotta get em from Molot, which I would do in a heartbeat if available here. *(likely the 9 millionth time this has been posted but I really wish we had an importer) http://molot.biz/product-e/ko91-30m.php

I wonder. ALL Saigas are now banned in my state by name. I wonder if they will change the name of the Saiga series. It would allow them to be sold in CT again! That would be awesome.

Ill bet the new name will sound even more evil to the communists who made that law, but hopefully you can slide through on a technicality.