oil soaked Saiga

just got a "new" .223 from a friend (bad divorce) un restored for ( get THIS) $200.00!!!! guess he did'nt know what he had! anyhoo, it is all wrapped up in a old bed sheet and he COVERED it in bar and chain (for chainsaws) oil! inside, in the barrel, in the reciever, ALL over it. if any of you know bar and chain oil, you know how sticky it is. gummed up everything! i guess he was hiding it from his wife. my question is, what do i cut the oil with without stripping the paint? was going to use acetone but i'm betting that will cut the paint as easy as the oil. what would you guys use to clean this mess up? gonna restore as soon as i can work with it! thanks guys!

• Like 1

I would say use whatever is the easiest and let it eat the paint. It's just paint after all, it's not a finish. Then just repaint it. You'll have it stripped to get the oil out of everything anyway.

High temp paint from the auto parts store seems to be the equivalent to the factory paint.

Out side of that... I used White Lightning on nasty bike parts.

denatured alcohol. dissembled parts can be placed in a bowl or pan to soak. a spray bottle is helpful for receiver and barrel. Q-tips are one of my favorite things. very useful. i suggest wearing vinyl or latex gloves. the alcohol will not damage the paint. denatured alcohol is another of my favorite things. at about 16.00 a gal. but will last a long time for cleaning purposes. I keep a lot of it around for my alcohol stoves. hope this helps.

• Like 1

To start with - hot water. Works wonders on cosmoline, I don't see why it wouldn't work on a heavy oil. Boiling parts in a pot you will never use for food should work well. Wash away as much as you can with water before using chemical solvents.

• Like 1

So you had a "friend" that went through a bad divorce and you gave him $200 for his Saiga?

You seem awfully proud for somebody who ripped off a "friend", why don't you just go and bang his ex-wife as well?

I had the same thought, but wasn't gonna touch that.

So you had a "friend" that went through a bad divorce and you gave him $200 for his Saiga?

You seem awfully proud for somebody who ripped off a "friend", why don't you just go and bang his ex-wife as well?

HE set the price. How is that ripping off someone? Instead of banging his ex, why don't YOU just blow me.

HE set the price. How is that ripping off someone? Instead of banging his ex, why don't YOU just blow me.

Well, now we know why you aren't interested in banging his ex...

• Like 5

In your OP the way you posted makes it difficult to determine who set the price, and the happiness you shared over getting a good deal leaves the impression you may have taken advantage of a bad situation. Had you offered more cash in good faith to your "friend" or hadn't mentioned that he must have known what he had, then members here would be less likely to think you screwed your "friend."

Just sayin for clarification.

Also, if you have read any forum posts by regular members here, you would know that we generally speak our minds to one another, we can be rather blunt, sometimes you have to have thick skin, and move on.

Telling regular members to "blow" certainly won't help you make friends, and the mods could just up and ban you. So, the best course of action would be to apologize and stop being butt hurt over what one member said and many others were thinking.

You said, "guess he didn't know what he had!" and you were such a good "friend" you decided not to tell him what he had, some friend you are, I just found it quite odd somebody was bragging about ripping off a "friend" that just went through a bad divorce, it really speaks volumes about you.

• Like 1

You said, "guess he didn't know what he had!" and you were such a good "friend" you decided not to tell him what he had, some friend you are, I just found it quite odd somebody was bragging about ripping off a "friend" that just went through a bad divorce, it really speaks volumes about you.

Again with the ripping off thing. What ever. Since you don't know anything about me, I'm just gonna be done with it. I like it here, and if I offended anybody, I apologize(is that okay liberty-r?)

• Like 1

I had the same thought, but wasn't gonna touch that.

Yes, I thought the same thing . Some "friend" you are , alright ...!!!

just got a "new" .223 from a friend (bad divorce) un restored for ( get THIS) $200.00!!!! guess he did'nt know what he had! anyhoo, it is all wrapped up in a old bed sheet and he COVERED it in bar and chain (for chainsaws) oil! inside, in the barrel, in the reciever, ALL over it. if any of you know bar and chain oil, you know how sticky it is. gummed up everything! i guess he was hiding it from his wife. my question is, what do i cut the oil with without stripping the paint? was going to use acetone but i'm betting that will cut the paint as easy as the oil. what would you guys use to clean this mess up? gonna restore as soon as i can work with it! thanks guys!

I sure hope you went through an FFL to trasfer it as FTF transactions in NY are now illegal.....

holy shit skip the drama.

if you decide to use any solvents, make sure to check them on a test area first - preferably inside the receiver where paint loss would not be visible. the factory paint is relatively weak and many solvents will take it right off.

most spray solvents are too strong for the Saiga paint, especially chlorinated solvents such a brake cleaner - do not use.

hot water is probably the best recommendation here.. it should gradually wash out whatever oil is there, but may need some manual buffing with a good gun oil/cleaner to finish up the job and remove all remaining film from the chain oil. just make sure to get all traces of the water out of the barrel and gas system.

Edited by mancat

Remove the plastic. Hang the metal up over a catch pan and hit with a heat gun. Most the oil will run off as it becomes more viscous with heat. The majority of the rest can be wiped off. Then you should be able to clean regularly. Don't set yourself on fire heating the oil.

Having gone through a bad divorce I would of traded an oily Saiga for $200 I could blow on lap dances and tequila shots in a heart beat. One less piece of property to "divide" and $200 the ex doesn't know about.

• Like 1