Dual 5 round mag 922r compliant?

922r refers to assembling of foreign guns. Not magazine capacity bans. That being said, it still a 5 round mag because it has to be removed and reinserted

) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925 (d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.
Edited by utahhandyman

Im asking if an unconverted saiga 12 can use two 5 round mags taped to together or clamped together and be 922r compliant, im not asking to use mags to count towards a conversion twice

I want the capactity of ten rounds by shooting 5 fliping the mags over and shooting 5 more from the other mag attached upside down from the first

If you are spending money on this, consider that a tapco FCG is $30 and that plus $20 more parts would satisfy your parts count. Most people end up going more like $175, because they use bolt on parts. That and factory 5 mags cost the same each as an 8-10 rounder.

15 parts-

FCG (3) ~$30

Puck (1) $10

floor plates (1) free if you make it.

Even without a proper AK pistol grip conversion, that would leave you legal with US or foreign mags.

Obviously even for the tightest of tightwads I advocate buying a cheap stock such as tapco fixed

a cheap pistol grip, such as MD molot style, and a pistol grip nut too. Re use the trigger guard and buy some rivets or machine screws and you are good to go. Those additional parts would cost around $45-50 + shipping.

Edited by GunFun

It's not hard to do at all. Go for it! Just make sure you read up on the few minor modifications needed. It is well worth it. The only tool you need is a dremel.

I prefer a Tapco DOUBLE HOOK G2 done how Gunfun does his. I believe he has pics on his profile. This leads to a really nice trigger for an AK style gun.

You will have to smooth off the hump on the front of the hammer near the hammer's axis point since the hump stops full forward travel of the hammer.

The hammer striking face needs a little addressing as it sits just a touch high when cocked and the face needs to strike the back of the bolt exactly square.

On the trigger, the bottom elbow of the extra hook will hit the bottom of the receiver and not allow the trigger to fire at first. This corner of the hook near the trigger lever itself can be slowly smoothed down until the trigger can swing just enough to fire every single time. This eliminates trigger overtravel.

Trigger pretravel can be eliminated by a washer under the back of the trigger. You'll have to look this one up on the forum. It really helps make a snappy trigger.

If you use the bolt hold open lever (I don't - I like the safety lever notch method), you will need to make a little room by trimming the side of the trigger axis just enough to fit the lever in next to the trigger.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it is easy to do and can be finished in thirty minutes. It's fun and gratifying too! Be careful and think it through. Search old posts to learn. The info is all here and available already. Let is know how it goes!

Edited by Nephilim7

With tapco fcg easyily fit into factory receiver? Is the factory stuff riveted in?

There is a sticky about whether you should convert. It talks extensively about how hard it is. I suggest also watching the videos on Carolina Shooter's supply. That will show you exactly how hard it is.

Another member just posted this video of the first half of the project. If I were you I would do this in an hour and take more care, but you can see how easy and fast the work is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tL5Kyn1Z44

With a drill and a bolt on trigger guard, most people seem to take 45 minutes to do their second conversion or about an hour and a half the first time. Most of the time spent is not working, but second guessing. You can do the whole job with a drill and a file, or plenty of people have done it with just a dremel. (costco often sells a decent generic dremel type kit for about $25. It is a decent tool.)