I have always been fascinated with auto knives.. I know they are as practical as an ipod that can play an 8track tape.. but fascinated none the less.. can't get 'em in Mi (ETA: Law states it's illegal to be in possession or to carry), but if I could, I think I'd go with a classic Italian like a Frank Beltrame. When I was a kid, I had an old "nato military" OTF.. It was junk, but super fun to play with.. only thing it was good for was opening up bundles of news papers on my paper route..

So, what do ya got & what do ya know?

I don't have one but i want one for the collection. They are pretty neat, I agree. And you are right, they're not exactly practical which is why I think these anti-auto knife laws are so long standing but they are interesting none the less.

In my state we can have them, we just can't have them in our possession (TN). Twisted law the way it's written but they do a good job enforcing it. They don't bother you if they can tell you are obviously just trying to get it home as part of your collection but if they can tell you have an intent to use it, that's another story. At least they stick to the intent of the law.

My personal favorite is the classic looking stiletto push button style. I like the ones with a modern twist with the black and grey striped blade. I don't really care for a pearl handle either. I don't care if it's the top of the line as well, if it's affordable and will work long term when I show it to those interested in it, it will suit my collection just fine.

• Like 1

The Boker Automat Kalashnikov 74 is a good quality knife for EDC if allowed where you are. Really is a good knife for the price with a strong spring.

My other OTS is the classic old style I picked up many years ago at my first gun & knife show... back in the 80's.

The black OTF is a lower priced replica of the Microtech Scarab. I think they called it the Airborne Ranger or something. It's a really heavy duty knife with a strong spring and built in safety feature that stops the action if it encounters some resistance. Will still open through a sheet of thin paper but won't go through your pocket (or worse....lol). Has a glass breaker and a grip tape like textured surface. It has seen a lot of use over the years and held it's edge well.

The small chrome OTF is a cheap novelty letter opener basically that's also a convenient refillable lighter.

030.giflaugh.png

post-1293-0-10992200-1376896938_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-01772700-1376896900_thumb.jpg

Auto openers are a great idea if you ever climb trees with a rope, I'd rather not be found hung still trying to open my knife. And if you fall its best not to stab yourself like a fixed blade might.

PS the correct way to cut a rope that your snagged on is to open the knife and then close the knife around the rope so that it closes once the cut is complete. This prevents the "I am legend" self stabbing.

• Like 1

Auto openers are a great idea if you ever climb trees with a rope, I'd rather not be found hung still trying to open my knife. And if you fall its best not to stab yourself like a fixed blade might.

PS the correct way to cut a rope that your snagged on is to open the knife and then close the knife around the rope so that it closes once the cut is complete. This prevents the "I am legend" self stabbing.

A lot of fishermen keep a sheath knife or a spyderco on their suspenders. It is a lot easier to use that big hole with gloves on than push a small button. Sheeps foot blades are a popular choice for this. That's how I got my first.

I really used to want an OTF, but you give up good handle design and if the spring is strong enough to be cool it's going to take two hands to close. Like Indy said, they lose in practicality, but they are kinda neat.

Now there is a stilletto I would like, but it doesn't close. I've wanted for years to do a fancy 1500s style gunner's style.

I did read an arguement in a forum about reliablity, side opener vs OTF for carry (obviously where legal). A side folder advocate claimed OTFs may not be as reliable because of debris and stuff that might get into the opening while the blade is retracted.

For those legally able to carry an auto, thoughts?

I did read an arguement in a forum about reliablity, side opener vs OTF for carry (obviously where legal). A side folder advocate claimed OTFs may not be as reliable because of debris and stuff that might get into the opening while the blade is retracted.

For those legally able to carry an auto, thoughts?

One word for ya MICROTECH..........they are bulletproof. I had a bunch of sand in one of my Microtechs once and it still functioned properly.

You get what you pay for.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH

If I was just going to have one knife or a few even, I might go along with that whole "always buy the leading name brand and nothing else" logic. I don't though. I have more knives in my collection than I can even count without spending hours gathering them all up. I wanted a real Scarab. Sure I did but wasn't about to pay almost $600 for one if I could get a cheap copy for $75 that worked at least close to just as good. I've never had a problem with my replica knife and I have obviously carried it quite a bit to wear the finish off it that much. It always opens and closes with plenty of snap to it. I haven't tried burying it in the sand or mud and trying to get crap all in it, but it's been dropped on dirt, sand, and rocks, concrete, in the pond, thrown around and everything but hasn't required disassembling to clean. I could buy half a dozen more for the price of just one original so IMO they really aren't worth it just for a novelty item. I'd buy a brand new Glock 19 first and still have money to buy over $200 worth of ammo.

Gunfun I'm not sure if you meant that the way it came out but OTF knives, at least all the ones I've seen, are double action so they close with a backward pull of the fire button.

Speaking of strong springs and name brands though, I'd like to add the strongest spring I've ever seen on an OTF style was back in high school. I guy in the class above me had one that would pierce a car hood. It was not even any name brand. He made it himself or with help. It was more of a spike really and built with a very heavy spring inside a tubular handle.

Speaking from someone who owns all the Microtech OTF models available including SA and DA OTF's.

I can say the one that seems to be the most powerful as far as ejecting and retracting is the Combat Troodon.

You can feel the torque and it will vibrate your hand upon ejection and retraction of the blade. I have both

SA OTF's the Nemesis and Halo and they are much slower ejecting the blade than the DA's.

Here are a couple of my Combat Troodon's

combattroodon2_zpsb9795d79.jpg

bowiecombattroodon-1_zpsa7becb35.jpg

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH
  • Like 1

Man those are SWEET! I'd like to have one one day. Eventually it will come along in a trade or something if I'm patient I guess.

Wasn't sure about the SA / DA but it definitely makes more sense they would be capable of much more power that way. Being busy doing a few different things right now without time to google it...I have to ask, how do you reset one? Seems the only way would be pushing on the tip which on those bad boys would embed it.

Yeah I finally got my OTF today. It is a little wobbly but I can deal with that for what I paid for it. They manganese phophated the blade, the button does have a hard pull as advertised but it isn't too hard. handle is manganese phosphated aluminum alloy with stainless torx screws. I oiled it up. Spring is strong too, pops out with some authority and retracts with slightly less authority.

IMO the clip is installed on the wrong side (but natural for lefties that can carry in their state). Seeing as how carrying is illegal in my state anyway, it's not an issue. A nice addition to the spring style locking folder, swiss army knife, faux ivory Case and various fixed blade knives in my collection.

Maybe microtech in the future will make an auto knife in black with a black blade, non serrated and with a drop point like I like.

• 1 month later...

The Boker Automat Kalashnikov 74 is a good quality knife for EDC 

I was in a gun show this weekend and noticed the AK mag boxes and asked what they were for.  Wound up buying one.

I did have one of the screws fall out so check your screws.

post-4831-0-97720700-1381892064_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

The Boker Kalashnikov knives never appealed to me, but I used to really want one of their ceramic blades and one of the Applegate-Fairburn folders they used to do before Gerber got the license. Not the half and half version, the mid-size. No need for it, it's just classy.

To be honest I would never have bought the knife if it didn't say Kalashnikov on the blade.

But it makes a decent edc.  I wouldn't carry my $300 Spydy.

Actually that was of course my first reason for getting it, and the cool ribbed mag shaped case it came in. If it says Kalashnikov on it I'm already interested. Another reason is it was given to me by a really cool fellow member here who unfortunately doesn't post anymore, or haven't seen him in a long time. I also like that it reminds me a lot of an old Gerber lockback folder I had years ago in the early 80's. Lost that knife and it was my favorite.

What Spydy is that? I'm partial to their basic models, but some of the fancy ones are nice too.

Citadel.  It wasn't a $300 knife when they were selling it but now that it's discontinued the price has gone up for a nib, if you can find one.

Mine was a wedding gift and I've never used it except to flip it open a few times.

My edc for the past few years has been a benchmade but it's seen better days.

It's a tragedy to have a knife or gun that's too nice to use and not antique. Loan it to your drunken brother in law so that you can enjoy it after he tries to cut a rock with it.