Hand your potential employee a 1911 and have them pop off on nomenclature and field strip the weapon. NoGo=No hire.

The token hot chick that knows weapons is expensive to hire but worth it.

Consignment keeps the locals trading and 5 dollar FFL transfers will bring a lot of people in to your new store.

600 guns will be an awesome start. Keep duplicates in back. That goes into security. Not sure where you are, have a good system and double check your building.

Good luck with your business! 49% or no deal. It will be your ass on the line with potential federal fuck me up the ass prison time if things go south.

Put in a range. People will want to shoot what they just bought. Most indoor ranges around here sell more guns because of the rental policy. You can shoot what your looking at before buying. The small range here makes more off the range than they do selling guns.what.gif

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, Decent prices, and a comfortable/non corporate atmosphere. I don't go to a gun store for a stupid jacket or shirt. Maybe just holsters, gun bags and useful gun related items. I like the smaller family business, and if I pay $25 more for a rifle, I'm happy to give it to the local guy. I feel my money makes a difference to them, but I would have ZERO loyalty to a "Corporate/chain" type of shop. Too big of an inventory on display really makes it seem like you have plenty of money and don't need mine.

Might want to experiment with carrying some of the less popular calibers like 9x18, Tok, 5.45, etc. More people than you might guess have these and would probably appreciate not having to buy it online. 2 of my LGSs go through a surprising amount of these, particularly x54r.

Theres an old saying that goes "If youre going to open a gun store and planning on making a living, better sell something besides guns."

This is from a few folks that have gone down this road. Sell anything that you can make a profit on because the profit margin on firearms and ammo will fluctuate wildly and being able to get inventory will bounce around too. With that said, good luck!!

Same here on the 300 blk ammo and an upper in same for a decent price! ;)

We stock more than just guns and ammo. We also carry survival items and some gun accessories (you just can't stock everything). Think about carrying some bait and fishing supplies. We sell just about the same amount of bait as we do on guns and ammo when it's fishing season.